Looking for a Recommendation for Good riding close to NY Border

Munson

We are looking at taking our first trip to Quebec. We would be coming from Syracuse, NY and are looking to drive only as far as necessary to find good snow and lodging. Someplace where we could maybe do different loops in each of three different days. Any suggestions for a town and lodging would be much appreciated. Thanks

Try Mount Laurier. Two main trails are close by. 13 and 63. Maybe 4 hour drive from you. Was there a few weeks ago and all was good. Look on FMCQ web site for clubs. Hit english and click on maps and it will show all trails in Quebec. There is a rail bed trail and trails though the woods. I wouldn't start any farther south due to the time of year. Only my opinion. Have fun.

Duhamel, or St Jovite ( now called Tremblant ) both closer to NY than Mont Laurier by a good hour or so and in fact all 3 places are accessible to each other by multible trails. I live 20 minutes from Tremblant and I can tell you that there is plenty of snow and trails are in good shape. Duhamel is limited in terms of accommodation I would think. In Tremblant I would suggest hotel Vaccances Tremblant or comfort inn. Both are on the major hwy coming in 117, lots of restaurants to choose from and both are right on a groomed trail that while it dead ends in Tremblant, 15 minutes ride will get you to other trails with lots of options.

Hi Munson,

Welcome to QuebecRider. Wherever you decide to stay, take precautions to protect you vehicles. Theft has been quiet for a few years and now I've read about two thefts recently. I'm not scaring you away, just make your stuff harder to steal than the stuff next to yours. There is a thread on here with suggestions. I don't want to see a first time visitor get burnt.

Jack & Sandi

None that I am aware of. You could ask when checking motels if they have video cameras in the parking areas. A good precaution is to bring heavy chains and locks for the sleds and disable the truck by removing a main fuse so it won't start.

Plan made. Staying here at Chateau March 3-7. Besides locking up the sleds and trucks, any other advice?

Start planning your day trips.

Go to Devil's mountain.

Go to Mont Laurier for lunch then loop around.

do you have this link?

http://www.viaexplora.com/motoneige

Cover your vin # and pull a relay

NY state has reg with vin on windshield !!

In planning your rides, be sure to take in devils mountain and the relay. Fantastic view from the top. Also there was a trail called the CIP trail on the mountain that went higher to the cell towers. Not sure if it is accessible any more but quite the view there. Number of years sice we were there, but one of the days we were all the towers and trees were heavy in frost and we were in the clouds very cool.

Cover your vin # and pull a relay

Hey Jackstraw - I have seen your posts on trail conditions.com. I'm Munson15 on there but dont post often. I'm afraid to ask but why do you cover the vin?

Start planning your day trips.

Go to Devil's mountain.

Go to Mont Laurier for lunch then loop around.

do you have this link?

http://www.viaexplora.com/motoneige

NY state has reg with vin on windshield !!

Thanks for the link.

Any advice on gps maps for a Garmin?

We leave a week from tomorrow. How do I get a 3 day permit when the web site says that they have to be purchased on line but allow 7-10 business days for delivery? Cant I buy a permit up there someplace?

yes you can buy your trail pass up there Munson check the website.......Chateau Logue probably have some.......You can call the snowmobile club as well. They have a toll free number.

http://www.oursblancs.com/home.html

In that area the following have passes for sale.

​POINTS OF SALE

​You are in the area and want to buy your pass in person,

Get to one of our points of sale !

Trails Pass Supervisor

Lorraine Larocque

South

Maniwaki and center

North

Épicerie Gravelle

Cayamant

819-463-4222

Resto-Bistro de L'Aigle

Cayamant

819-463-1919

Bar Chez Rick

Gracefield

819-463-2434

Restaurant Pineview

Low

819-422-3517

Auberge du Draveur

Maniwaki

819-449-7022

Château Logue Hotel Golf Resort

Maniwaki

Équipement Maniwaki

Maniwaki

Maniwaki Sports

Maniwaki

Sports Dault & Frères

Maniwaki

Dépanneur Messines

Messines

​819-465-2733

Baskaventure

Grand-Remous

819-438-2271

La Pointe à David

Grand Remous

819-438-2844

Épicerie J.B. Lévesque (Alain Thibault)

Grand-Remous

819-438-2685 / 819-438-2810

Le Pignon Vert

Grand-Remous

819-438-2012

Motel Restaurant Le Classic

Montcerf-Lytton

819-438-5557

Dépanneur S'A Wesine

Montcerf-Lytton

819-449-1616

• 2 weeks later...

We've been back for about a week and wanted to give some input on our trip and a "thanks" for all the advice.

We stayed in Maniwaki at Chateau Logue. Nice enough place. Unfortunately it was pretty empty so the restaurant and bar always felt deserted. Didnt have any problem with security on the trucks or trailers. Did use a cable to lock the sleds together at night though.

Did an overnight backpack trip to Parent. Stayed at the Central Hotel. That was sort of a dump. But $50 for a room with 2 beds is hard to beat. Communal bathrooms in the hallway.

Did about 750 miles in 3.5 days. Trails were 95% great. People were friendly and eager to help us foreigners.

First day on the trail we ran into a group of guys from here in Central NY. A few days later we sat next to some guys from NY - one guy was from my town and his cousin and my son are classmates. Small world.

We'll definitely do it again. I need to learn some elementary French because the language barrier was sometimes a drag. Never a real problem but it required some more work.

Strange that on the drive north from NY we had to drive local streets through down town Ottawa. Kind of a challenge to navigate in the dark in rush hour traffic with the trailer. Next time I will try to avoid taking that route.

post-1804-0-75773300-1457878153_thumb.jpg

post-1804-0-63777700-1457878313_thumb.jpgpost-1804-0-67663400-1457878314_thumb.jpg

Edited by Munson

Stayed at the Louge on 3/3 thought it was very nice, wondered how old the front building is. The drive through downtown Ottawa was very strange I agree. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

post-51-0-40024500-1457878188_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-15728300-1457878224_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-68672700-1457878270_thumb.jpg