Feb 19,20,21 2016 Mattawin, St-Felicien, Windigo.

markusvt

Friday, 232 miles.

We stayed in Mattawin for the night though for sure lots of traffic had been using Shawinigan with all of the cold and recent snow.

I brought all of my warm weather stuff as the forecast was for warm, nobody told these guys as it was -7F when we left. We jumped on the 355 and headed due north. Everything was fresh groomed and rock hard. Close to slider burning stuff. Once on the first part of the pipe line as other have said it is a bit different. They go around all of the large hills. I am assuming due to the initial low snow then ice. The second half of the pipe line is also all new. You veer off to the east and ride the ATV trails which are not being used. No pipe line/power line stuff on the second half at all. It adds a bit more miles but is a really nice and wide trail and I am not sure I might like it better.

Again as others have said it now dies into the LT1. You can backtrack into La-Tuque, or continue to the end. It ends on the rail bed on 73 where you can go either way. We headed the few miles down to the 355 cut off. Again all perfect groomed.

The 355 was awesome until Relay Trapper then you really started seeing ice on the branches and there was a bit of weaving around but the groomer had just been through and it was nice. We jumped on Lac-Edward and zipped to the other side. It was staked and awesome smooth and avoided the goat path around the lake. We ate at Domain du lac Edward but did not buy his gas. After lunch we continued across the lake to the railroad tracks, crossed the tracks, drove to the end of the road where the trail goes left and looked right and like everyone says there it was, a regular gas station at .94 a liter, dam lunch was free with gas like this. 90 miles on, and many more to go.

While we were there 2 guys headed in from the north and asked where we were going. They begged us to turn around. They said with the rain turning to ice and then monster snow the going was tough. They said we would find 40 miles of down branches where we would have to weave under and around, lots of cowl slapping and very slow going. We would then find 40-50 miles of 1-2 foot whoops with no groomer in sight, and then the last 20-30 miles would be 2-4 foot whoops.

I mean, how bad could it be?

We headed out and found EXACTLY what they said. OMG, 355 is on my HATE list like Scorpionbowl and others.

After getting beat to death I redirected the team to LSJ to avoid nastier trail. Hum, big mistake. As Iceman will attest the lake had very deep windblown hard as rock snow with slush underneath. It’s a miracle we made it across at all.

We now headed the side trails to L'Hôtel de la Boréalie on the river. Wow, what a very nice place and perfect English speaking folks inside.

A quick shower and a $10 taxi ride to Marco’s Pub.

This was awesome food and beers and was a perfect end to a very trying day.

Edited by markusvt

Saturday 160 miles.

This day was planned as adventure. We had our free breakfast and off we went.

We headed out through town, (not using the river) to grab the trail to La Doré. 20 miles of perfectly groomed wide trails with no one out! We gassed them up and headed up the 93 towards Chibougamau. This trail had a TON of snow but no fresh grooming. When we left the station we filled our spare gas cans, and 3 windshield jugs with gas. 15 miles out we poured the gas into the sleds. You will not believe how much thin plastic expands!

We drove exactly 39 miles from the gas station and hooked a left into the ungroomed unmarked forest, not plowed roads. I spent some time on google earth laying out tracks to connect the 93 to the 83 and drop us in at the bridge 30 miles outside Relay 22.

Off we went. Dam there is a boatload of snow out here. The first 15 miles there was evidence of camp sleds going here and there, but we stayed the course I marked. We would not have enough gas for too much screwing around. The next 10 miles actually did share a plowed road for a few miles but no issue as there was plenty of snow.

The last 15 miles we were the only tracks in armpit deep snow. We got stuck a few times but we plowed on. The temps were up now and the snow was pushing really hard.

With 1 mile to go to the 83 there is a steep hill that almost claimed 2 of us, claiming the other 2. We spent a bit of time getting them out and then popped on the 83 just a few minutes away from the bridge on the 83.

We have wanted to do this for a few years now. The off trail was 40 miles and then you have 30 miles into relay 22. If you left La Doré you would have 110 on the tank, if you left the saw mill you would have 95 on the tank. A nice option if you are coming from the north and wanted to get to relay 22 and have some off trail experience. Tracks available for anyone wanting a bit of an adventure.

Now we were back on ungroomed trail 83 into relay 22. Maybe 1-2 footers in the straights and deeper in the turns, this is getting old.

We arrived at relay 22 to see the groomer sitting there buried in snow, bummer. With this much snow the sucker should be out 24x7. I have never seen so many sleds there ever. The lot was full as was the inside. We arrived at noon so maybe not the best time.

I have to say the waitress in black with flip-flops was there. You guys saying not bad looking have a different scale them me. She was worth the drive and then some.

We had a good lunch and chatted about the next options. With no grooming in any direction we decide to get to our room for the night at Windigo. We arrived at 3 and got to visit with them as the sun went down.

As usual their Saturday night feast was awesome.

At 7:00PM a big group arrived from Auberge Le Cabanon looking a bit tattered from the trip. They weren’t much for small talk and were not looking forward to the sled ride back and I don’t blame them.

When we headed out in the morning I think I saw the Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawks coming to get them and not a minute too soon.

post-464-0-73430300-1456321252_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

Sunday 220 miles.

Our plan was to zip over to Wemotaci get gas and then boondock down to Repos. The trail into Wemotaci was not nice, but not horrible either. We got gas at the station, (2 of the 4 pumps were broken). We then headed down our adventure off trail towards the dams and Kanawata.

The first few miles were along a dirt road but this was no issue as there was so much snow. The next 5-10 miles were on a logging road that had been plowed at one point but not in a long while.

The next 15 was single track heading to the trail connecting Repos and Kanawata coming out maybe 5 miles from Le Chevert. We got there so early we decided to head to Repos on the Kanwata road for lunch. This off-trail turned 90 miles into 60 miles.

We were there before noon so no lines anywhere. When we left it was turning into a madhouse.

We buzzed down the 345 where we found plenty of snow but it was pretty darn rough. We did meet the groomer a few miles from the groomer shack and he was making it quite a bit nicer but it would not last with so many sleds.

The M20 looked pretty trashed so we continued down to the 360. A few buddies has rode from here into Le Cabanon a few hours earlier and said it was fresh groomed all the way.

This is not what we found going into Mattawin. The whoop monster had been out and it showed. There were huge squared edge frozen bumps all the way in.

When we hit the logging road we took it.

Back to the truck a bit after 2:30 and all was good. Lots of snow but the groomers had done very little with it. I am sure by now it is much better but with more snow planned for this week watch out!

post-464-0-38650700-1456321298_thumb.jpg

Edited by markusvt

"I have to say the waitress in black with flip-flops was there. You guys saying not bad looking have a different scale them me. She was worth the drive and then some."

Don't like to exaggerate but Giddie Up... :clapping::angel::give_rose:

Nice run there for you boys. Sorry to hear about the rough stuff. Love the off trail exploration i think I need to get me a new toy just for doing this kinda stuff. One sled for groom stuff and bag trips and a widetrack to explore these shortcuts. I like it.

Nice run there for you boys. Sorry to hear about the rough stuff. Love the off trail exploration i think I need to get me a new toy just for doing this kinda stuff. One sled for groom stuff and bag trips and a widetrack to explore these shortcuts. I like it.

Agreed tough to take a trail sled that far off trail.

Agreed tough to take a trail sled that far off trail.

I know my limitations, i aint going boondocking with my Yammie, NFW. Although last week she made me proud but I won't be pushing my luck. My team would mutiny. After digging me out all day.

But I am seriously thinking I want to join RR's gang if they would have me for a run or two, with me having the right equipment of course.

I'm running out of trails I aint rode yet it's time to go bush.

Edited by iceman

That same B12 was broke down the on trail in La Dore around 2006 or 07. He broke a fan belt. I put him on the back of my 05 rev and I brought him home to get another belt. He put it on and took us for a ride. 318 mopar V8, 3 speed on the column in that thing. It ripped. He wanted to sell it for 3k. I got a print picture of it somewhere. Glad to see it still around. Those guys where fun, they had a few "pops" waiting to be rescued.

Edited by momojohnny

What possible logic was there to take the 355? You guys are pros, I almost want to give up snowmobiling reading that story, lol. Any newbies reading this, never take it, and don't take take 83 roberval to 22 unless u like pain. That's why I'm on my couch, 2 more weeks and the good stuff begins, February weekends are death...

I still can't believe no one has posted a pic of the 22 waitress, snowman will do it?

I'll give you credit Mark, didn't look easy on a trail sled. Looks like a 154" would have been the ticket!

What's with all the whooped trails everywhere? I guess lack of snow in the states is taking it's toll on the trails up there? Or just lack of grooming.

Spring break up there next week?

Holy crap seeing that deep snow like that and the thought of digging gives me heart pains! Nice trip guys. I haven't been up 355 since Jack closed his place down Saint -Francois -de -sales . Way back then it was hit and miss !

2015 1200 x Renegade 137", 2016 900 and 1200 Blizzard's, 129", and a 2016 1200 x 129"

If you catch the 355 groomed it is such and awesome trail!

Sweet. We ran the 355 two weeks ago and it was perfect...