First Time North of the River- Need Some Advice

themainer

Day 3: Doesn’t Feel That Cold:

Left the hotel at 7:00am due to the mighty e-tec not having enough juice in the battery for the first time ever (sled had 9,500 miles on it at that point in 2.5 years) and my inability to start it off the rope. Luckily we had booster cables which fired her right up. Didn’t realize it was -26F that morning in more than one place on our ride and we confirmed with other riders that night. Even with that cold, absolute calmness had me outside loading the sled with no gloves and no hat on and riding behind my big windshield was very pleasant. Went up the short lookout on the east side of Valin, then hit Le Chapelle for breakfast at 9:00am. Nice Place, good food, and a nice couple running the place. Took off on 93 bound for Sacre Couer. Came upon a guy from Boston standing on a corner. He missed a corner in the snow dust and hit a small group of trees trying to carve back onto the trail and got himself extremely stuck. One of his other guys in the riding group came back and we sawed and finally got him unstuck. Even in the 3 foot deep trench I broke though up past my gut (I’m 6’ 4”) and I still hadn’t hit bottom. 3 of the fattest Gorbys I’ve seen swooped down in close to watch us but we had no food for them. Left there after helping them and tried to get into the Waterfall. Fresh 2 feet on the trail on the way in and I got stuck as I was trying not to beat on the sled with all the gear on it. Turned around and decided we’ll see it on another trip. 93 to Sacre Couer was nice cruising, then the last 125 miles, though it was probably the most beautiful terrain I’d ever ridden in, took much longer than we would of hoped due to the yink yanky up down and around 90 degree corner trails. We are not used to that type of riding in Quebec and it definitely gave me a reality check on how many miles we could do in a day. Rolled into the Delta at 7:00pm. Wish I took more pictures on 383, but I just got so used to the beautiful terrain that it didn’t really hit me til later how really awesome it was:

Sunrise on the Fjord:

20160304_064818_zpszeg6qhid.jpg

20160304_081709_zpsswawo1ac.jpg

20160304_082357_zpskmqebms5.jpg

20160304_101151_zps3pahfxk6.jpg

Ferry Crossing in Tadoussac:

20160304_130617_zps7b66gbep.jpg

20160304_133002_zpsap4pkmlh.jpg

20160304_132134_zpsw4j931ol.jpg

20160304_133404_zpsiwr3ljqr.jpg

Day 4: Left the Delta at 7:15am. Took 383 to 367 to 23 and hammered down for the pickup. Arrived at 12:15pm for the trip home. Beautiful day and nice cruising on 23, much more like we are used to riding in Quebec. 188 miles:

20160305_082446_zpsmaledj8u.jpg

20160305_105931_zpshvsdiibm.jpg

20160305_120250_zpszp6zb2ky.jpg

Great report and pics Mainer! We just finished doing a similar trip, have lots of the same pics. Where is 'The Cave'? Looks cool. Headed back up Wed for 6 days, would love to see that! Terry

The cave is just off the south end of Lac Le Mothe. You take 93 to regional trail 328 west/north. Take the first local trail you come to on your right after a few miles (the one to Relais Onatchiway). Then after a few miles take a local trail on your left, if I remember right there is a sign for lac le mothe. When you come to the big Dam on the lake you take a little goat path off to your left on the other side of the plowed road. Was definitely one of the highlights of the trip.

Glad you had a nice trip.

I talked with your dad several times before you left and told him you had done a ton of checking and would do just fine.

He said he's done snowmobiling, just doing day trips now, haha. I know I'll drag him on another trip next year after he forgets this one.

...then the last 125 miles, though it was probably the most beautiful terrain I’d ever ridden in, took much longer than we would of hoped due to the yink yanky up down and around 90 degree corner trails. We are not used to that type of riding in Quebec and it definitely gave me a reality check on how many miles we could do in a day. Rolled into the Delta at 7:00pm. Wish I took more pictures on 383, but I just got so used to the beautiful terrain that it didn’t really hit me til later how really awesome it was:

Yeah man, the 10mi of twisties on the north side of the ferry from Sacre-Coeur to Tadousaac is a nice warm up for the south side 3/383.

They're all beautiful but not so much built for warp-speed, especially when it's soft with tourists in both directions like we had last week!

Better to take a breath and enjoy. Summer's gonna be loooong looong loooong.

Hey........ DAD is not even 50 yet!!!!

Dad just wants back in the lounge before 8 pm. LOL

I think if I smuggled in Miller Lite so he could drink that instead of Bud he'd be happier too.

Great photos. Was the sunrise photo at Cap Au Leste?

Thanks.

Yes it was. Stayed there instead of the Tourelle Du Fjord as they were booked. Was a nice place and with the exchange rate we got an awesome dinner and room for like $85 USD a piece, but they definitely seem to cater more towards a skier or environmentalist crowd in my opinion.