Bad Snowmobile Accidents

Teet F8SP

Dear God. This is so awful - and so much worse now that we know how close it is to some of our own. Sincerest condolences to all who are affected but my heart aches so for Dallas's family; especially his wife and children.

I do love snowmobiling but things like this make me wonder -

I love snowmobiling but this weighed heavy on me all day. I caught some news on the ticker this morning of this or other incidents as well. Frankly it takes a lot of the pleasure out the sport. I am the person most into snowmobiling in my group and my friends indulge me and go along on our adventures. I just led 8 people over four days from Chateau Montebello to SMDS to 100 Lacs to St Jovite and back. I just met some of these guys in my group as friends of riding friends. We have thankfully never had any serious injuries over the years just a lot of adventure and a broken bone or two. I can't imagine the heartache. Condolences to all involved.

Did I understand a previous post to say that there were 15 fatalities in the same general region that occurred last year? That seems remarkably and tragicly high if accurate?

Did I understand a previous post to say that there were 15 fatalities in the same general region that occurred last year? That seems remarkably and tragicly high if accurate?

Yes the owner at Masse mentioned this to us at dinner however I am not sure if this is all of quebec or just the region in general? Hopefully a local can provide more accurate insight.

Yes the owner at Masse mentioned this to us at dinner however I am not sure if this is all of quebec or just the region in general? Hopefully a local can provide more accurate insight.

Sounds about right for the Total for the Year in Quebec it's not just Mauricie/Lanaudiere.

There was another head on collision fatal accident in La Tuque on Saturday. North of La Tuque on Forest road ten.

One killed man in his 60's other badly hurt.

I would have to think that this year the Quebec area is getting twice to three times the traffic it sees on a normal season when the states do have snow. That may be why it seems there are more accidents because there are more riders. Simple odds, if there are more people riding there will be more chances of accidents.

I would have to think that this year the Quebec area is getting twice to three times the traffic it sees on a normal season when the states do have snow. That may be why it seems there are more accidents because there are more riders. Simple odds, if there are more people riding there will be more chances of accidents.

That does make sense. Then take it to the next step and riders that are accustom to the trails in the States go to Quebec and find well maintained trails, the speed goes up and the familiarity with the trails goes down. I'm not saying speed is the only factor and I'm definitely not saying to make rough trails to slow people down, it is just an observation.

I wonder if there has been a higher number of trail passes sold this year.

Jack & Sandi

Another today 2.5km south of L'etape on 23. Head on. Two persons seriously injured. One Qubecer they say one Anglophone(so an American or could be Ontario)

They are in critical condition. So it reads.

God! People PLEASE SLOW DOWN and STAY RIGHT! Be safe all.

The American involved in the Accident near L'etape yesterday sadly did not survive. I heard it was a group of 5 Americans. Did not hear where from.

Always sobering to hear these stories. Not all cases are speed, lack of ability or alcohol induced. I know of one fatality that was as sorry as it gets. Group of guys were crossing a lake at night in a blizzard. About 3/4 of the way across, the guy next to last notices the guy behind him wasn't there anymore. He comes up along side the others and stops them. Tells them to wait there and he was going back to look for him. I guess you all know where this is going. Guy goes back at a nice clip and with the white out, never sees the guys sled that had died in his path, sled died, no headlight. Guy on the broken down sled could only dive off his sled when he saw the headlight. Guy that went looking for him hits the broken down sled head on at about 50 mph. Guys sled nosed under the broken one causing it to slide up the hood and broke the riders back when it hit him and landed on top of him, killing him instantly. The guy whose sled broke down has never ridden again. That's why a good LED flashlight is a must. This was in the states.