North by Northwest - Season Ender 2016

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn....more bright sunshine?

That was actually a large rock sitting just under the new snow Don! One of the risks of riding so far right on the trail. It lauched me hard to the right & down in that valley. We put a stick in the ground with some orange tape so someone else didn't get killed there.

Took a while to rummage through the photo archives, but I managed to dig up a few. Some dating back to the 2-stroke days circa 2003 ;<)

Of course photos don't do justice, its the stories that go along with them (or don't go along with them ;<)

post-478-0-00650400-1457999145_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-14207200-1457999153_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-80292600-1457999166_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-50472000-1457999190_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-03339900-1457999225_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-17436200-1457999232_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-67551800-1457999264_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-03345200-1457999380_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-57300200-1457999555_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-97211500-1457999559_thumb.jpg

Hey John,

I knew you were busy as a beaver searching thru your archives for some discriminating evidence of my sled burying capabilities! Looks like you found a few eh?

Pics 7 & 8 happened 7 years ago on March 10th, 2009. I was almost killed with that plowed hazard across TQ93. Unbelievable negligence on behalf of the loggers & FCMQ but I made it. Only 3 broken ribs & a bleeding lacerated spleen. Very lucky indeed.

On the last pic I know there was another one of us buried right next to me. Was it Marty?

Mostly very good memories of great times with you guys!

Wow ! That road crossing had to launch a few sleds. Those signs needed to be placed a little farther back don't ya think?

Hey David,

That man next to me in the picture said my sled was 3 meters in the air & I was 5 meters in the air. He was one of the loggers. He said he told the FCMQ the day before to get a sign put way back before the turn which comes after a long straightaway. He said someone almost was killed the day before my turn.

Wow, what if we DIDN'T love you?!

Hey David,

Great sign. Wish more people would listen & not just when they see the sign but always!

Riding like I do with that right ski tight up against the right birm and/or in the powder has many more pros than cons. Sometimes you can get sucked into the softness of the deep snow, pulled right & sink into the deep soft powder. Sometimes you can hit a rock or tree stump. Who cares about all the scratches from small sticks along the right side of my sled. I've replaced many right mirrors over the years from sticks, branches etc. We ALL cheat a little, or a lot, on left turns. It's nerve racking to hold, hold & hesitate before initiating a left turn in order to keep my right ski at the right edge of the trail. I must ALWAYS remember that my right turns are the oncoming sleds left turns. They are going to be cheating and possibly (definitely) crossing the imaginary yellow line. That's another reason to have my sled in the extreme right on ALL right turns. Much easier for me to have my ski extreme right if I'm already there because that's where it lives. Every morning when I start a days ride I remember the imaginary yellow line down the middle of the trail. If I cross that line more than 2 times in an entire day of riding then I'm not practicing what I preach. Ride safe - Ride right!

My bad, Marty is to your left in Pic5, Gary to the right.

You're right, in the last pic I was right behind you, following way too close and going way too fast. Followed you into, and "nearly out of" the swamp ;<)

Pretty sure that was blown right hander too, it happens :help:

Trails were a real ripper that day for sure. We burned some gas in those days with the pathetic mileage the sleds got back then!

Here is a better angle.

post-478-0-77675700-1458084081_thumb.jpg