THE BORDER- Season Ender

Jackstraw

The plan was for me and Eric to hook up with Phil1 Scranton1 and Dom on last Wed.had to pick up my sled in Lake George and meet them in Val Des Monts. Couple options to get there, 1 being the i87 crossing that we usually cross or take the scenic route to the ogdensburg crossing by Ottawa. Took the latter. Arrived at the crossing at 7:30 no one there. Great we should be through quickly. Wrong

That dreaded question of have you ever been before a judge? Yep, okay step inside. Here we go. Once inside there are at least 6 agents and nobody else in the place. After the usual checks Eric is in the back room and the truck is being ransacked. After 2 hours the verdict can't come in. That would have been our 28th crossing in 10 years. A drug charge from 41 years ago when he was 19 is the issue. That has come up at least twice at the crossings and never an issue. From what I've heard that crossing is stricter then the i87.

Now what, we get a room for the night and do a search on line for options. Tried to get him to shoot across the ice in the wee hours but no dice. Decision was to go to our normal border crossing and apply for a trp.

Got there and requested that at the booth and sent inside for 3 hours. Place packed more like the pakistinian border with all the foreigners . End result ? No go again. Now I'm dragged in and went down memory lane with the agent. All good. Amazing the crap they come up with that you did over the past 40 years. After a last plea we are directed to the us border where we now get pulled in to US customs for secondary inspection. Another search of the truck and 45 minutes later all done with this crap.

Go home or go to Maine which is where we ended up.

Bottom line is Eric has to get that espnged or apply for a rehabilitation permit . Most issues over 10 years are fine. Including my dui in 92' I must say after only riding QC for the last 10 years it's tough to ride anywhere else ! End of story!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice of them to ransack the truck, I bet they put everything back neatly for you when they were done...

Probably dog slobber all over from the K9s too.

What would happen if they did find something illegal? Would they detain you in Canada or send you back to US?

Once you are refused entry into Canada, it is perfectly normal to be then held and checked on the way into USA. They check again to see why you were refused and be sure you have no outstanding arrest warrants. Checking the truck is just routine with the procedure.

As for if they find something illegal, it all depends what that is. And how much. But usually you are sent back unless you got a truck full of drugs or guns.

The Ogdensburg crossing sucks. Seems like they either get plenty of new agents or have issues with the Indian reserves on either end.

Returned home after a business trip in Gatenau and was told my test equipment wasn't declared and import customs were due. After an an hour of explaining this was resolved. Now I have correct paperwork to temporarily import and export equipment but still avoid that crossing.

Once you are refused entry into Canada, it is perfectly normal to be then held and checked on the way into USA. They check again to see why you were refused and be sure you have no outstanding arrest warrants. Checking the truck is just routine with the procedure.

As for if they find something illegal, it all depends what that is. And how much. But usually you are sent back unless you got a truck full of drugs or guns.

It's funny the first time we where denied when turned around the US agent couldn't beleive we where turned away for an issue 41 years ago. He just waved us through . The sad part the local Auberges and outfitters are the ones that Lose. That was $3000 that wasn't spent up there.

I feel your pain. 15 year old DWI stopped me. Ended my season that year. Had to go to the Canadian Consulate in NYC to get permission to enter again. Funny thing is, never got checked again.

For some reason, they're tightening down. We were asked more questions about a rainbow of subjects than ever before. Probably 2x the normal time to cross at Derby Line Vt last week.

Still too bad you drove so far to get turned around.

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

For some reason, they're tightening down. We were asked more questions about a rainbow of subjects than ever before. Probably 2x the normal time to cross at Derby Line Vt last week.

Still too bad you drove so far to get turned around.

We still cant figure out why we crossed 28 times and have been sent to immigration a few times. And have always been allowed in. Both crossings said a dwi over 10 years is no problem. If someone tells you they got denied entry for that I guarantee there is something else on there record there not telling you.

I would try to get the record expunged. It may take time but it would be the cleanest way to go. If you are successful, save all the paperwork you can to document the process just in case the record mysteriously reappears.

Good luck.

Jack & Sandi

I would try to get the record expunged. It may take time but it would be the cleanest way to go. If you are successful, save all the paperwork you can to document the process just in case the record mysteriously reappears.

Good luck.

Jack & Sandi

I think it may be to late to get it expunged. I think once it is in there computer and he was denied entry. I don't think that will disappear at this point. If anyone has any experience with a rehabilitation permit from the Canadian consulate do chime in. It's nice to know the Canadians are so well behaved they don't want any trouble from the Americans! :shok::drinks:

Edited by Jackstraw

Not sure of consolate procedure. I had issues at one time and all were dismissed but still turned back time to time. Then one evening at Jackman crossing the imigraton officer spent the time hour or so and not sure what he did but he said your all set.

Since then I have never been turned back but I have to go in to see imigraton and they check to see if I am still behaving. Occasionally they go in depth and it takes 30 minutes to be released but ever since I have never been denied entry.

the imigraton office can fix the problem just have to find a officer that wants to help.

40 YEARS?!?

www.lyricsfreak.com/a/arlo+guthrie/alices+restaurant_20518619.html

I filled out the Massacree with the four-part harmony. Wrote it down there Just like it was and everything was fine. And I put down my pencil, and I turned over the piece of paper, and there . . . on the other side . . . in the middle of the other side . . . away from everything else on the other side . . . in parentheses . . . capital letters . . . quotated . . . read the following words: "Kid, have you rehabilitated yourself?"

We still cant figure out why we crossed 28 times and have been sent to immigration a few times. And have always been allowed in. Both crossings said a dwi over 10 years is no problem. If someone tells you they got denied entry for that I guarantee there is something else on there record there not telling you.

They told me that a DWI, not DUI, is a felony in Canada and anybody with a felony on their record is automatically denied and must get permission to be allowed back. Now, one caveat in my case is that the border guard was asked to work a double shift and was not in a friendly mood. The other guards inside said he was pulling every 3 cars over for inspection just to piss everyone off. So maybe on another day, it wouldn't have mattered.

"Driving While Intoxicated" is the same "incident" as "Driving Under Intoxication". My understanding is they are one and the same (we had an issue with one of our crew 12-15 years ago :-)

I said in another post a couple of years ago that we can posture, say, do whatever but the bottom line is that we are entering THEIR country and if there is a legitimate issue to deny you entry - end of discussion.

Some here didn't like that but that is the fact -

"Driving While Intoxicated" is the same "incident" as "Driving Under Intoxication". My understanding is they are one and the same (we had an issue with one of our crew 12-15 years ago :-)

I believe DWI (Driving while intoxicated) which is above .08 is a different penalty than a DUI (Driving under influence) which is .05 -.08 ( I believe). I'm not a lawyer but I play one on TV....

I said in another post a couple of years ago that we can posture, say, do whatever but the bottom line is that we are entering THEIR country and if there is a legitimate issue to deny you entry - end of discussion.

Some here didn't like that but that is the fact -

100% Correct

The only problem with all this, is there is not consistency with all crossing gaurds. When you cross several times without incident then one digs up some history and follows the letter of the law, people get frustrated.

I believe DWI (Driving while intoxicated) which is above .08 is a different penalty than a DUI (Driving under influence) which is .05 -.08 ( I believe). I'm not a lawyer but I play one on TV....

We were told any driving offence with alcohol involved will keep you out, if they want.We went thru a small border crossing on a sunday on sleds, I will never do that again, guards had nothing to do. 2 hours, was put on the phone with a women from somewhere and she asked me about being questioned in a arson case 40 years ago, everyone who worked at the place was questioned and they caught the people who did it and it wasnt me. She then asked if there was anything else I was not telling her?????????????????? One of our group had a DUI, dropped to a lessor offence in the US, they did not let him in, even though he had been through many times in recent past. He applied for a pardon, now that he is reformed he brings his pardon papers with his passport . Number 1 rule when crossing the border, they do not have to let you in there country if they dont want you.

We were told any driving offence with alcohol involved will keep you out, if they want.We went thru a small border crossing on a sunday on sleds, I will never do that again, guards had nothing to do. 2 hours, was put on the phone with a women from somewhere and she asked me about being questioned in a arson case 40 years ago, everyone who worked at the place was questioned and they caught the people who did it and it wasnt me. She then asked if there was anything else I was not telling her?????????????????? One of our group had a DUI, dropped to a lessor offence in the US, they did not let him in, even though he had been through many times in recent past. He applied for a pardon, now that he is reformed he brings his pardon papers with his passport . Number 1 rule when crossing the border, they do not have to let you in there country if they dont want you.

Absolutely. If you have a j-walking ticket and they don't want to let you in for it, that is their prerogative. Their sand box and hopefully they let us in to play.... But unfortunately it can go both ways and letting Canadians in the US could be very "tough" as well if we started feeling it necessary.

DUI, OUI, DWI is all the same. Just called different names over the years.

There can be different levels, for instance most convictions in the states are misdemeanors, but some can be felonies if death or serious injury involved. third offense, etc.

mike