THE BORDER- Season Ender

Jackstraw

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh guys.....here's one certain way not to be denied.

Stop getting caught drinking and driving.

I have never had a DWI or anything so I am good. In fact ( knock on wood) of all the times I have crossed into Canada with sleds and boats, I have never been pulled aside or asked more than a couple questions at the window. Hope it stays that way.

It's not a dwi that's holding him up, in fact he's never had one It's a drug charge that only brought probation 41 years ago when he was 19 yrs old that is the issue.

Bit ridiculous in my book!

I wonder how the refugees coming to Quebec will do when they reach customs
Will any be refused entry???

Doubtful !

Never crossed at Ogdensburg with sleds in tow but have crossed a couple times with firearms in hunting season and never had a problem. Once you were denied entry at one crossing it was pointless to try another the next day will never work. I crossed last year on my snowmobile at a little crossing at Estcourt Station Me. and had no problem crossing or re-crossing although the guy on the Quebec side wanted to know if "we came out of the woods?" lol because the trail there hasn't been officially open for a few years.

Never crossed at Ogdensburg with sleds in tow but have crossed a couple times with firearms in hunting season and never had a problem. Once you were denied entry at one crossing it was pointless to try another the next day will never work. I crossed last year on my snowmobile at a little crossing at Estcourt Station Me. and had no problem crossing or re-crossing although the guy on the Quebec side wanted to know if "we came out of the woods?" lol because the trail there hasn't been officially open for a few years.

The only reason we went to the other border crossing the next day was to apply for a TRP or Temporary resident permit. After doing a search on line that night we figured we would give it a shot since you could apply at the border.

Heh guys.....here's one certain way not to be denied.

Stop getting caught drinking and driving.

And check with the rest of your group. If any of them have any reason to get denied entry, have them arrange a ride home from the border.

And check with the rest of your group. If any of them have any reason to get denied entry, have them arrange a ride home from the border.

One of them does, a felony charge, got his pardon but none the less he gets a cavity search every time lol but no denial, papery work is in order and he's beeen a good boy.

Said it before I'll say it again. How/why is it that I can buy an airline ticket to practically any country board the plane with my passport not get questioned/harassed etc. go on my merry way. And last but not least get denied at the terminal because of a DUI???? Business or pleasure..

Edited by doonali

Said it before I'll say it again. How/why is it that I can buy an airline ticket to practically any country board the plane with my passport not get questioned/harassed etc. go on my merry way. And last but not least get denied at the terminal because of a DUI???? Business or pleasure..

Cause no one cares if you leave the USA but once you arrive here then you are in "whole other country." So you are then screened for admissibility by CBP. Essentially when you fly the border is the Terminal. Until you clear immigration there you are not "in" the country.

Plus buying your airline ticket is good for business, well the airline business anyway.

Is it ideal the way it's done? Hell no. But it's the Gov't at work nuff said.

It all boils down to who you get at the border. The more exoerienced senior officers are usually your best. The newbies do all by the book and are just that "book smart" with very little real life knowledge and they are practicing on you. They do it all by the book for fear of not knowing anything else.

It works the same way for Canadians, some one else can back me up here. Cause I know if you have issues with the Law up here as a Canadian resident you are not eligible to travel to the USA.

Most don't care as there are no good trails there anyway.

Edited by iceman

I wonder if anybody has ever been denied a flight into Canada because they have a prior DUI? I also wonder if any of the snowbirds that winter in Florida get denied entry with there motor homes all pack with a car in tow planning to spend the next three months in the sunshine???

Edited by doonali

I know several people who flew to Canada (montreal) from USA only to be checked there by CBP, then denied entry and sent back on next flight.

Snowbirds I don't know.

I think Ice man touched on a few good points, I have often crossed by boat across Lake Ontario and also a number of different land crossings with a motor cycle. I have noticed a big big difference in the way US border guards act toward us since 911. You Americans folks may not notice coming back into your own country, but for a foreigner there is that extra edge of precaution and I notice it in the manner of speech and questioning. Big difference to the reception I get returning to Canada. While it may only be a drug, dwi or some other crime you did in your youth, remember border gaurds are the first line of defence in security to any country. They don't know you and any red flag on your record will set things in motion. The very worst is not mentioning something or not being truthful and they find something in your record. The laws are there to protect the country and it's citizens and zero tolerance to any offence is the easiest to police. I am not sure if any of you in the US can get a program called Border Security, it is all about The CBA and how they handle people coming into Canada. It is a real eye opener on how they pick up on people not being truthful etc. I'm not saying rejection over a old arrest of 20-30 years ago is just, but it is sadly in part a reflection of the state of the world today.

Actually there is a bus stop right there at the i87 crossing

My note to any buddies who are newbies to QC (because we had a buddy get very politely turned back years ago for a childhood candystore caper)...

Border "Security"

The border is closely guarded. Regarding documentation, a driver's license is not sufficient to cross the Canadian border: http://travel.state.gov/passport Also worth mentioning, and not new to the border patrol, is checking of each traveler’s criminal history. Even if one has "paid their debt to society", the fine folks at the border may turn you back to the U.S.. If you’re unsure of your Canadian welcome’ness or privileges, you must check it out and clear it before committing to a ride. Please check it out with the Canadian Consulate at (212) 596-1783 well before the trip. (There’s a lovely motel up at the US/NY border by Lake Champlain, where you can spend the week if you’re turned back!) Regarding contraband: Don't bring any! Weapons, drugs, or anything questionably icky, must be left behind.

I think Ice man touched on a few good points, I have often crossed by boat across Lake Ontario and also a number of different land crossings with a motor cycle. I have noticed a big big difference in the way US border guards act toward us since 911. You Americans folks may not notice coming back into your own country, but for a foreigner there is that extra edge of precaution and I notice it in the manner of speech and questioning. Big difference to the reception I get returning to Canada. While it may only be a drug, dwi or some other crime you did in your youth, remember border gaurds are the first line of defence in security to any country. They don't know you and any red flag on your record will set things in motion. The very worst is not mentioning something or not being truthful and they find something in your record. The laws are there to protect the country and it's citizens and zero tolerance to any offence is the easiest to police. I am not sure if any of you in the US can get a program called Border Security, it is all about The CBA and how they handle people coming into Canada. It is a real eye opener on how they pick up on people not being truthful etc. I'm not saying rejection over a old arrest of 20-30 years ago is just, but it is sadly in part a reflection of the state of the world today.

Upon our return to the U S A Tuesday this week we were questioned more than I ever had been returning. All registrations, what do you do for a living, how do you know each other, for how long? Opened trailer to see what was in there. There have been times coming back into the USA they barely had us stop. This guard had something to prove...

Upon our return to the U S A Tuesday this week we were questioned more than I ever had been returning. All registrations, what do you do for a living, how do you know each other, for how long? Opened trailer to see what was in there. There have been times coming back into the USA they barely had us stop. This guard had something to prove...

Yes you do get guards like that just like you get during a routine traffic stop a cop who appears to be on a power trip. But consider this, not all people looking to do the western world harm these days have a certain look. Lots of cases of home grown terrorists. Could it happen that some one decides to pose as sledders to transport illegals or bomb making equipment into the country, anything is possible. Or perhaps on a less sinister note they are checking that you are not importing stolen sleds. These guys are working for all of us trying to keep our countries safe.

Newbie in the booth no doubt. By the book and then some.

I too every summer enter Canada by boat. Drop boat in around Alexandria Bay, NY and take boat over to Kingston Ontario for the boat poker run every august. Very easy check in (just a phone call) and when entering back into the US checking back in at a choice of a few locations. Would be very easy to just load and go however. Again so far, never an issue either way. But then again I don't have anything to hide or any skeletons in my closet. lol Boating the 1000 Islands and traveling out into the Great lakes are unbelievable times. Maybe a summer QR meet up...?

I too every summer enter Canada by boat. Drop boat in around Alexandria Bay, NY and take boat over to Kingston Ontario for the boat poker run every august. Very easy check in (just a phone call) and when entering back into the US checking back in at a choice of a few locations. Would be very easy to just load and go however. Again so far, never an issue either way. But then again I don't have anything to hide or any skeletons in my closet. lol Boating the 1000 Islands and traveling out into the Great lakes are unbelievable times. Maybe a summer QR meet up...?

Well if you do the annual poker run from Kingston to Prescott I may have watched you go by.

We used to keep our sailboat in a Montreal yacht club when I lived there and travel up the seaway to 1000 islands for our summer vacation. For the last number of years, we keep it in a marina just east of Kingston and travel by car to it. I usually have a seasons pass for the park islands. Yup 1000 islands and Lake Ontario are a boaters paradise.

We did witness an incident in Clayton where they have check in by video phone that scared the heck out of us and swore us off of using those things to enter the US, but it is a little long and best told over a beer swapping boating stories.

Well if you do the annual poker run from Kingston to Prescott I may have watched you go by.

We used to keep our sailboat in a Montreal yacht club when I lived there and travel up the seaway to 1000 islands for our summer vacation. For the last number of years, we keep it in a marina just east of Kingston and travel by car to it. I usually have a seasons pass for the park islands. Yup 1000 islands and Lake Ontario are a boaters paradise.

We did witness an incident in Clayton where they have check in by video phone that scared the heck out of us and swore us off of using those things to enter the US, but it is a little long and best told over a beer swapping boating stories.

lol Yes those video phones!! "please place your passport on the square under the phone please" lol Yes we have been going to the poker run for at least the past 10 years now. Maybe you have seen us go by. My previous boat was the 38 Topgun (Trigger Happy) and my current boat is the 388 Hustler (Shot in the Dark). If you see me this year flag me down!

post-1787-0-76290300-1457641347_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-53331200-1457641440_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-48971600-1457641505_thumb.jpg

Our most recent trip up we crossed at Thousand Islands (81N from Syracuse) and it wasn't 1 minute at the border getting into Canada. Scanned both passports, inquired where we were going,.... "have a good trip". We hit it at like 11:45AM, so she must have had a lunch date pending.

Just to let my friends from south of the border know it is the same for us going into your country. I have been in a car and got turned around because of 1 guy had a minor charge that was dropped but still on record and for many years after that I used to get asked if I have ever been denied and my answer was always no, then the long pause... you sure? I would say I was with a guy that got turned away not me. Spent a night at the Buffalo crossing with pockets turned out, no shoes, belt or jacket with some SOB that was made he was working Christmas Day he confiscated 1 street bike and 1 dirt bike out of 5 and turned us away. Cost us thousands to fight to get them back just to see they were mostly junk from sitting outside for 11 months. Lots of stories over the years. One last thing, I recently got a Nexis card and it feels like cheating coming back into the US or Canada, you get to bypass the regular Long line for immigration even driving. Big background check then you have an interview with both the US and Canadian border people. This can clear up non relevant or very old charges and any non issue things that some border Hero will look at and mess with.

Please keep coming north my American Friends!!!

We love your greenbacks!!

lol Yes those video phones!! "please place your passport on the square under the phone please" lol Yes we have been going to the poker run for at least the past 10 years now. Maybe you have seen us go by. My previous boat was the 38 Topgun (Trigger Happy) and my current boat is the 388 Hustler (Shot in the Dark). If you see me this year flag me down!

Cool boat for sure and will do. I guess many sailboats look the same when your zipping by but if you see this one, Clair de Lune V, it is us.

post-1966-0-66669000-1457659688_thumb.jpg

post-1966-0-41201600-1457659763_thumb.jpg