Joliette/RéservoirGouin/Rouyn-Noranda/Ville-Marie 28feb-5march2016 photo-report

towing

Planning our annual snowmobile trip was not easy this year. I am a last minute planner to have the best picture before deciding where to go and this year I had decided to go toward Abitibi area that I knew less. Leaving from home, it is a trip with large distances between points of service and wanting to start on Sunday february 28 in the morning, when I checked the weather on Friday night and see 40cm of snow forecasted for the next week there, it scrapped what I had just planned.

After consultation with my partner Snowcruiser, we decided to skip to B plan and go toward the Lac St-Jean where snow forecasts were lowers, our knowledge of the area better and easier to adjust our plans but by Saturday morning, the forecast had completely changed it was now the Lake that would have more snow…

Finally, I convinced my riding partner to go back to the original plan but in the opposite direction from what I had originally planned (my friend Coyote suggestion) to try to bypass the snow depressions. After seeing what happened and Iceman’s ride post, I’m really glad we choose this area!!!

Here the final loop we have done in 7 days, doing the north side first and totaling more than 1400 miles

carte_zpsd1iqjfsm.jpg

Sunday morning February 28, -10C under a cloudy sky, just before starting from home

DSC08879_zpsktmgo2au.jpg

A rather intense ice storm had felt at home on the previous Thursday (missed electricity 24hrs) but the clubs had done a good job and trails were beautiful. The higher up north we go and the less traces of it we see and it had more snow.

DSC08882_zpspssggufj.jpg

We stopped for lunch in St-Michel des Saints at Vieux Moulin à Scie restaurant behind the Central. After lunch when I was at the gaz station, a man come at me and ask me if I was Allan. It was McCaffrey from the site here! First time we met and I’m very glad He had take the time to come at us for a good hand shake and a bit of talk

DSC08884_zpslzft8m70.jpg

Next we had cut through the reservoir up to Auberge du Lac Taureau and continue toward Repos on #33 trail. Obviously more snow north from the reservoir

DSC08890_zps4efuxvci.jpg

We refueled at Repos and took the Kanawata Express way to get to our first destination at 4:30 p.m. with 188 miles on the dreameter.

The Kanawata auberge was full and Mario had gave us a small rustic chalet with a double bed on the lake shore and another chalet for Snowcruiser, we loved.

We were very well received with very good meal and enjoyed our stay there, one of our favorite of the trip. It was snowing hard when we went to bed.

Monday morning wake up with a 5 "to 6" of new snow ...

DSC08900_zps9xq2eihf.jpg

A beautiful line-up infront the auberge ...

DSC08902_zpsjcy1myy0.jpg

After a good breakfast, we left a little past 9:00 toward north. Trail #345 had been groomed during the night up to Casey and was beautiful

DSC08906_zpsajfn7wlr.jpg

North of Casey there were a few ripples in the curves but still beautiful and we rode in 6 "to 8" of snow

DSC08908_zpsok8tvyja.jpg

Here at #345/#83 junction

DSC08914_zpst8pncejo.jpg

We took the #83 west up to the junction for the Barrage Gouin pourvoirie

DSC08918_zpsxfnxajvl.jpg

Where we had our lunch

DSC08926_zps8ma45t33.jpg

On the way back, at the beginning of a plowed road section of a couple miles, a big wolf tacked when he saw us coming. It was the first time I saw one so close. The time Krikri take the pic he had already moved away a bit.

DSC08930_zpscjfg6wbv.jpg

I slowed down a lot but he did not want to jump the snow bank and ran forward. We stopped a few minutes to let him go but when we restarted he was still there just on the other side of the hill few meters away but this time when he saw us he jumped the snow bank instead of running in front of us. It is not as small animal, really awesome to see in the wild nature but I was glad to be on the running sled than by feets!

We joined back the #83 and continued westbound to go refuel in Parent.

We then continued west. It was the first time I did Parent-Clovas on the #83. Rather twisty at first but fast thereafter. We were riding on 8”+ of snow with a single lane in the center. It snowed a lot but being in wooded sections visibility remained acceptable.

DSC08938_zps5r5izybd.jpg

We arrived at around 5:30 pm at Clovas with 225 miles on the dreameter. Dominique had lodged us in the old school well known to people who have already been there. The meal was very good with several menu choices. Here just before fueling, the back of my venture that looks like a frog face with the muffleurs making the eyes!

DSC08942_zpsezgpd8sw.jpg

Tuesday morning -28C in preparation to continue west on # 83. Polaris battery was probably a little tired and we gave it a little help using my small powerpack Noco GB30. Big difference and the engine started twice much faster and fired very well. A small very convenient tool to bring on a trip that also serves as a flashlight and USB charging for multiple devices.

DSC08953_zps5q2zms6e.jpg

We rode west and officially enter the Abitibian territory. The cold was pinching and Krikri had put a second coat to keep her warm

DSC08954_zps9iin3grl.jpg

We drove a nice just groomed trail before eventually pass the dozer few miles before arriving at the pourvoirie Balbuzard. This is an obligatory stop for gas because there are more than 100 miles before the next service point because the Lake Faillon pourvoirie is closed this winter. It was a very pleasant to meet Snowmaster2112, Easyrider and their friend there that have recognized my sled and came by me! We had a great talk ... They had also started from Clova in the morning.

DSC08982_zpsaheszkz4.jpg

We then continued on # 83west, across the long section that has burned a few years ago which is a bit twisty but the further along and more open it get. We again pass a dozer and then had an average trail up to the junction of the local trail to Louvicour. That was my original plan to go through it to go to sleep in Val D'or, but in talking with other sledders in Clova in the morning I was advised I was better to keep the #83 and go through Senneterre which stretched the day ride a little. Snowmaster and his group who traveled at similar pace arrived at the junction and after a bit of talk we decided to join their group and headed to Senneterre together

DSC09016_zpsexarxudd.jpg

We all refueled at Senneterre and ate a quick snack at the little convenience store because we had not taken a real meal at noon. Snowmaster group was going at Amos Amosphère lodge which I had heard many good comments and being now in Senneterre it not stretched our ride much than going to Val D'Or and it position us well to continue the next day. When I mentioned to Krikri that there were hot tubs at Amoshère it was decided! I phoned and managed to book a room. So we had continued to ride with our new friends to Amos.

DSC09024_zpsvqhzzgrn.jpg

Great wide fast trails joined by 90 degre curves very typical to Abitibi where next and it is at a fast pace that we arrived at 5:20 p.m. at Amos with 240miles on the dreameter

DSC09037_zps2tiantyd.jpg

I had “forgot” to tell Krikri that hot tubs were outside ... It took a little argumentation to convince her to go barefoot in a bathing suit on the snow to go in but it well worth it! What a relaxation after a good sledding day. I then joined Snowmaster and his crew and had a great time to practice my frenglish, a very nice team.

DSC09057_zps47fioeot.jpg

Wednesday morning -27C, our new friends who started their ride sooner than us, going to Matagami round trip stopped to say goodbye before leaving. We knew it was possible but unlikely that our paths cross again because they were to sleep on Thursday night at the Domaine in La Verendrye Park via trail #386 and we were supposed to sleep that evening at Verendrye Pavilion (55 miles more west) via trail #63.

DSC09046_zps9yii8sek.jpg

So we leave again westward and got back on #83 trail a little further.

DSC09067_zpstdslwe31.jpg

This one is hard to miss but a little scary too !!!

DSC09081_zpsbigzi6sf.jpg

Shortly before arriving in Rouyn Noranda, we were following since a while a group of three riders who were going a little slower but that did not seem to care that other snowmobilers exist...I took patient knowing we would eventually get our chance to pass. We came to one curve and see the second of the group who missed the curve, scraped a 12 foot of side trail branches before crashing on the other side? Sled was turned on it side and the driver was traped under it the head in the snow! We therefore stop helping the unfortunate. I think he was lucky we have not already passed them because the first had continued without noticing anything and the last did not look so wise... Snowcruiser and I were already at pushing back on it skis the big Panthera to free the poor man and the 3th guy just look at us and I had to ask for him to help! It took some time but the gentleman finally got up and not seems too injured but did not speak and was visibly shaken. Aside from a broken saddlebag and few scratches the Panthera seems ok. We stayed there a little and the man looking ok, we finally left continue

Farther 2 polices were parked at the entrance of Rouyn-Noranda. The temperature was very cold around -20C at noon and the prospect of undress myself to find my papers was not tempting but luckily, we ran into nice guys who have made no case that my plate was hidden by my saddle bag and have not even made us show our papers. It was obvious we were tourists with our 2 touring sleds loaded and they were gentlemens. They even gave us directions for the gas and restaurants. Really nice officers and much appreciated the way they treated us

DSC09092_zpslasckdxb.jpg

NEXT PART COMING SOON ....

A wonderful report, it makes me know how much you love snowmobiling, not just the riding but also the pleasure of meeting new friends and finding hidden gems of places to stay and eat. You enjoy every little bit of the beauty you see on your rides. Thank you for posting.

mike

2e part... Wednesday noon...

We stopped to fuel, then warm up and lunch at the Cage aux Sports of Rouyn Noranda. We then continued the #83 trail which from there bifurcate to the south.

Having already done Gaspé on the east side, skirting the American lines a few times on the south, went through Chibougamau on north side, we were willing to push forward our personal new west limit up to the border of our province which was, I have to admit, one objective of our trip.

DSC09115_zpsux6vyjmm.jpg

We turned right, just to push up to the province limit... Ontario was just the other side of the bridge

DSC09119_zpslt5rs7z8.jpg

Happy with this achieved goal, we had continued to Ville-Marie. Since Rouyn, the landscape was a little wavy with some hills contrasting somewhat with the Abitibi lowland . Being a mountain and river guy, I did enjoy it even if it is in general more sinuous

DSC09125_zpsbzz5oznp.jpg

We found a place to sleep, Louise motel in Ville-Marie where we arrived around 5:30 pm with 206 miles on the dreammeter. Really basic but it did the job. One tip if you ever go there, do not take room #136 as we did. We had our bed head on the wall overlooking the laundry on the other side... it started to shake strong at 6:15 and when the washer began to flush I was sure it was flowing under the bed so the sound of waterfall was strong ... I love rivers, but there’s some limits!

Thursday morning, sunny with -24C. Our buddy Snowcruiser was fealing sick, he had a palish face and the last night meal near the throat ... Krikri and I had our breakfast alone. Despite this, he had still wants to continue ... by luck we had ahead our smallest mileage day of the trip. We got back on seat toward the east and took the # 63 to Belleterre. It was visible that they had received a lot of snow recently

DSC09149_zpssgjyy7dl.jpg

East of Belleterre the dozer driver had a hard time to get the job done, there was so much snow that he had not the real control of the drag and all curves were groomed with an accentuate inverted slope and they had few inches of snow over since.

It was very difficult to ride two-up full load with all the luggage and made us work a lot even at low speeds, my sled body roll and skis lift alot.
Snowcruiser who was in bad shape had an hard time too to keep control. The tight wooded trail was pretty twisty but fortunately there was no traffic which was a good thing because I was anxious to cross another sled having myself an hard time to keep my side properly.

We stop at the Outfitter Trout Lake that was supposed to be our lunch break but I had not expected this detail ...

DSC09157_zpsdgrmm0af.jpg

We were in the middle of nowhere and the next relay is our night destination... so we had to eat the light snacks we had with us. Snowcruiser actually made no case of it because he would not have eaten anyway. With this sign we hesitated to ask for the gas but the people there were very friendly and we have been fuel up without problems.

We then continue eastward. The trail is more rolling and wider deforested in the reserve but still inverted slope in the curves and some snowbanks that we see at last seconds made by the dozer that had need to reverse few feet on some spots to pass

DSC09161_zpsfilfvmen.jpg

We got that up to the old entrance of the burned Joncas

DSC09164_zpsruql7mcn.jpg

From there, the trail base is 2 drags wide perfectly flat with 6”+ of new snow on it. I shift in loose snow with just one ski on the pack track and spoils us with a high speed magic carpet ride over several miles ... the venture engine has worked hard but it was so fun and it was riding so smooth that it worth it. Note that it was nearly 3:00 pm and we had not yet crossed any other sleds since the morning.

DSC09165_zpsd4k4xbdc.jpg

We quickly reach the junction with #386 trail. I was riding just behind Snowcruiser and exactly the same time at the same second, Snowmaster2112 that we met two days earlier arrived from #386 !!! I still see him in my head coming at us shouting "Unbelievable !!!!". Indeed, what were the chance that we could get exactly at the same time at this intersection without any timing ... it is very special, near disturbing! Easyrider and his partner arrived few minutes later.

DSC09171_zpsn6676t5h.jpg

We were in our case 15 miles from our destination but them around 65 because they had booked for the night at the Domaine. We took advantage of this incredible chance and took a long break talking with our new friends before finally leave and arrive at the lodge Pavillon La Verendrye around 4:00 pm with 177miles on the dreameter. Snowcruiser was exhausted and got to bed immediately. On our side we had relaxed and rest up ... the riding days accumulate and we felt it in our body ,especially after having work a little more.

Friday morning, sunny with -30C.

DSC09185_zpsuxalsd3c.jpg

Big chance that we had the Noco power pack to convince the Polaris to fire up because the machines were in the shade in the shelter at the back of the yard and we had a real cold night. Snowcruiser for its part had look and feel a lot better. We took the trail just a bit past 9:00 like most morning of our trip. The #63 trail was not very wide but nice and hard.

DSC09190_zpscbgmb8at.jpg

The conditions were good up to the Domaine where we refueled. Unfortunately, from there trail was not groomed since the last storm. A single bumpy lane on a twisty path. The outside temperature had warmed up a lot and I can confirm that the internal suit temperature had do the same !!! I stopped 2 times to remove some cloths to cool down a little. I also cranked up a bit the rear skid because holes/bumps were really accentuated

DSC09206_zpst28udrgy.jpg

We saw an angel track!

DSC09203_zpsathkzocr.jpg

Nah! was just Krikri that was trying to cool down !

DSC09202_zpsfmrndqkw.jpg

We finally to our delight crossed the dozer not far before arriving at the Classic where we refueled and had a late lunch. My initial plan was to sleep at St-Anne du Lac but in the circumstances, given that Snowcruiser was still not fully top shape yet we decide that Mont-Laurier would be more reasonable and positioning us better to return home the next day. Being a Friday, I had to make some phone calls before finding a vacancy hotel where I made a reservation before leaving.

We could not pass so near without going for a ride on the Devil’s Mountain! Here at the towers, the beautiful view of the Baskatong reservoir

DSC09246_zps6hqn485v.jpg

We got to Mont-Laurier slightly past 6:00 p.m.. When I stop to gas, this unusual signboard right next to a car wash got my attention ... a dog wash self service... we've seen everything!

DSC09279_zpsxkzhzd5w.jpg

We dock at our hotel a few minutes later with 194 miles on the dreameter. It was definitely a meeting trip, as I waited in the lobby to learn about nearby restaurants Stef40 and 2 of his friends arrived! They were too at searching for a room (it was close to 7:00 p.m.) and finally lie there too.

DSC09280_zpsliy09s78.jpg

Saturday morning -12C, it's a bit nostalgic that we made our final start towards the Petit Train du Nord trail which was nice but many sledders on this saturday morning

DSC09290_zps6zzln7su.jpg

Here on a break at Nominingue ...

DSC09306_zpsjqjtjbol.jpg

My venture back has talent to create emoticons ... it has really formed this alone from the muffler heat vents without anyone having touch it

DSC09307_zpspv7tgahn.jpg

Past Rivière Rouge, we keep the #63 heading towards the Rouge-Mattawin reserve. Not far from there we cross a deeryard and seen many of them, not timid at all like this small one that Krikri snapped here with no zoom

DSC09318_zpsuyrg0wyt.jpg

I must underline the Franc-Nord snowmobile club that had an exemplary trail quality on their territory like this magnificent section in the reserve

DSC09330_zpsid4bapgq.jpg

It was obvious that the more we got eastward and the more then recent snowfall amounts received were big. The club of Notre-dame de la Merci that maintain the next section had several equipment failures and we got poor conditions up to our lunch break at Rouge-Mattawin relay. Here talking again with Stef40 just before leaving

DSC09360_zps5fljhfdo.jpg

Too much snow too fast, too hot and too much traffic on this saturday... the trails just did not have keep up and we got shake until suppertime past St-Gabriel de Brandon when we crossed a dozer. We finally returned home a little past 8:00 p.m. with 205miles on the dreammeter for the day and 1438 miles total for 7 days

Our longest trip snowmobile to date (in time). We fared well without any mechanical problems and managed to avoid severe storms that would have put us in trouble or force us to change our plans again. A special thank you to our loyal riding partner Snowcruiser who still followed us again with his good humor in our crazy plans

We explored new territories, meet new friends and old one as well, had a lot of good times and the head full of new images ... a beautiful snowmobile trip!

Alain

Very nice Alain, did a very similar loop last week.. East of Belletaire is a very tight section and a difficult ride even alone... Beautiful part of Quebec. I enjoy your reports and photos. Thank you

Great report so far ! Nice pictures!

Thanks Snowfarmer!

Great Monday morning read Alain! Keep it coming....

A late second part, it's crazy at home after being left a week but i'm catching up the group now!

Gotta love Abitabi trails....

Enjoy your trip Alain and Krikri

We had really enjoyed! it's getting back that is hard!

Nice loop. The 2wolves we have seen did the same thing.

as we were waiting to let him go we were joking in telling he was waiting for us on the other side of the hill but he really was!!! I was enough near to really have a good eye contact with him and it is really special. Had the same with a lynx few years ago and never forget that image in my head.

A wonderful report, it makes me know how much you love snowmobiling, not just the riding but also the pleasure of meeting new friends and finding hidden gems of places to stay and eat. You enjoy every little bit of the beauty you see on your rides. Thank you for posting.

mike

Yes we does, it was a bit sad for us this year not to have the chance to make multiple days ride but we catch up with this one. Yes you bet, snowmobiling is way more than just riding a sled and we really enjoy all aspect of it. It is also why we believe so much into sharing our experiences to share to and learn from others all those smalls details that make our rides even better!

Awesome reports and pictures! Look forward to more......

here-it is!

Very nice Alain, did a very similar loop last week.. East of Belletaire is a very tight section and a difficult ride even alone... Beautiful part of Quebec. I enjoy your reports and photos. Thank you

You are welcome Phil! hope you enjoy your ride as much as us!

What a fantastic trip.

Kirkri great job of capturing the wolf. They don't like to pose for pictures.

Too bad that you missed lunch at Lake Trout. I do not remember reading that sign.

You may want to try La Bannik if you return to Ville-Marie. They have hot tubs and a heated garage.

Thank You.

Edited by GT Rider

What a fantastic trip.

Kirkri great job of capturing the wolf. They don't like to pose for pictures.

Too bad that you missed lunch at Lake Trout. I do not remember reading that sign.

You my want to try La Bannik if you return to Ville-Marie. They have hot tubs and a heated garage.

Thank You.

Thanks Jim. I had went on their web site (La Bannick) before leaving from home and all their chalet were full because we were in the school spring break week, it was my first choice with the comments i had read here... maybe I should had phone and by chance take the place of someone who cancel... will try for sure the next time

Edited by towing