Gaspe March 13-18, 2016

scorpionbowl

Arrived in RDL around noon, perfect weather, plenty of melting for sure. Since the rest of the group won't arrive till later, I figured I'd take the new sled for a ride to make sure it doesn't catch fire at 50 miles. There's a great hard base everywhere. Trails loosened up nice by the time I started, but I'm sure scratchers are needed in the morning. Plenty of snow all around RDL, but parking lots and gas stops are all pavement.

Rode 160 miles of 526, 5, 561, 35, 85, basically a loop from RDL to Cabano with a side track to NB. All was excellent for a Sunday, traffic was very little. I want to thank everyone for calling it a season and leaving the good stuff for us.

Tomorrow we head to Amqui, so Groomer, if you can make sure 587 and 5 to the north are groomed, that would be great. And Monday night if you could hit 5, 587, and St Florence to the south, we will be all set, lol.

post-12-0-48663400-1457914030_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-63077800-1457914070_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-37569100-1457914185_thumb.jpeg

hi scorpionbowl !!

already done !!! quick in the gaspesie !!

went grooming my part of ste florence last friday night ....no problem...very low traffic...i turn around about 1 / 4 before canteen....bad corner and on ice...went down to canteen 2 weeks ago for the first time....on my way up the hill...right in the bad corner...tracks started to spin...almost stayed there !!so , you might see bumps for a 1 /4 mile...

just back from grooming tq 5 ...very low traffic...trail was still an 8.5...at 90' corner down to hill with antlers...3 miles....still bit of debris of pieces of woods ...keep your eyes open !!!

saw pics of murdochville and nicol-albert area tonight ...lots of snow !!!

ps: if you stop at clubhouse...just up the stairs,next to gaspesie map...there a sheet with groomed trails of our club..so , you ll be able to see if albertville to ste florence has been groomed lately !!!

jean-guy

By the way...

Happy Birthday to you! ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday to you! ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸¸¸.• Dear Scooorrrpionnn Boooowwwllll! ♫♪*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday to you ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪!

Wishing you THE BEST birthday and only groomed trails ahead!

Day 1.5. Well it's nowhere near my birthday, but I got many gifts. RDL to PLC via 5, 579, 587, 5, 265 miles. Perfect day, blue skies, just under freezing. Needed scratchers to start, for sure. Most of 5 was perfect except a small stretch, 579 perfect, 587 into amqui could use some help. Got to albertville and forgot gas is closed on Monday. Continued on to the city to gas up and saw groomers groomer. After that, it looks like groomer took out a deer, plenty cold out, so the meat should be good. Trail was perfection to the bridge, other side was mostly good to PLC. Plenty of snow everywhere, not much melting today, and gaspe looks like it will miss the rain. Like I've always said, if you planned your trips based on the weatherman, you would probably never ride.

post-12-0-97089600-1457994330_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-27738700-1457994362_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-34995200-1457994391_thumb.jpeg

Gary! I had a old pic gassing up at the pelchat relay and it had today's date on it and for some reason I had the notion that we were saying you shouldn't pour your own gas on your birthday, anyway IT'S GOOD TO BE EARLY THEN!

Scorp, looks like according to the trail conditions that the complete Gaspe loop is in great shape, keep us posted, may be out there the end of this week, was looking at lad St Jean and chibougamo, , but this is closer for us. Thanks and enjoy that sled. RR

Day 2.5. Simple day, PLC to Perce, 5 the whole way, 245 miles. PLC to New Richmond was not the best, mostly rough corners, but the rest was perfection. Weather was perfect, a little less than freezing, little new snow, mostly cloudy. Anyone wondering how much snow there is on the south coast , don't worry, there's a ton, no problems anywhere. A quick look up the 597 showed it freshly groomed two wide, but not likely for us on this trip. Anyone with an Etec around 10k miles and a four year warranty should take this trail tomorrow to get your free engine. Forecast here is below freezing with some snow. Tomorrow we head north. Since I was misinformed, I'll set the record straight, it is true, no gas in Perce, but the food coop or whatever it is is open so you don't need to bring food and drinks from the last gas stop.

post-12-0-98069100-1458079720_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-59472500-1458079826_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-92674600-1458079897_thumb.jpeg

saw the deer sunday around 5 pm,just outside trail....already kaputt .....then i passed there again around 11 hrs 30 pm ...deer was in the middle of trail...coyotes...

thats why i made a little zig zag to avoid deer !!!

i stopped a min or 2 at st fidele cb for a shot of coffee...then,.while climbing first hill west of cb .....realized i had no more heat in the cab...it has been a long run to go back to gas station...

put my coat in ste margueite...was freezing !!!

thx

jean-guy

Day 2.5. Since I was misinformed, I'll set the record straight, it is true, no gas in Perce, but the food coop or whatever it is is open so you don't need to bring food and drinks from the last gas stop.

Just spoke to Roland, no gas but no problem with rooms & chow.

Day 3.5. Perce to St Anne des Monts, 251 miles, 5, 597, Chic-Chocs, 595, LT, 5. Another perfect day, great weather, excellent trails, and no traffic. Started with 2" new wet snow, about 0c. New snow ranged from 1" in Murdochville, to 4" north so la cache. Freshly groomed from Perce till past piston alley (see my Facebook video), then not perfect but close till Murdochville. Chic chocs a little rough around Murdochville till the mountain sleds turn off. 595into la cache was fine. North of la cache was ok, but it hasn't been groomed in a while. We decided to take the local trait from 595 to 5, skipping St Paulin. I've never taken it, but can confirm the whole thing is plowed, but was fine today with the new snow. 5 from there to St Anne des Montes was perfect, less snow here for sure, but excellent. Tomorrow we head back towards Amqui to make sure groomer isn't sleeping or off in the rhubarb.

post-12-0-00075600-1458169083_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-17256400-1458169172_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-60671000-1458169205_thumb.jpeg

hhaha... i don t think so !!!

discovered a little problem on the machine...must bring radiator in amqui tomorrow morning for a check up.....looks like there s a tiny hole somewhere...

there was '' prestone '' under the hood here and there !!!

talking about rhubarb...i learned the operator from amqui took a nice ride in the rhubarb somewhere by the mommies last week!!!

jean-guy

Day 4.5. St Anne des Monts to Amqui, 152 miles, 5, 591, 5, LT. -6c mostly cloudy all day till Amqui where there is light snow. The 5 is great to Matane, trails are hard with some darting, but no hyfax issues till the St Paulin area where the throttle stuck wide open, then you could smell them. West of Matane 5 was getting more ice spots so we took the 591 south, ok condition. We hit the 5, wide and fast till the lake crossing where plowing begins now. Thanks to the rich elite on the lake this beauty will probably be gone soon. Guessing miles of plowed road, we cross the lake which is staked, but no sign of the orange trail on the other side so we turn around and burn the road. Not too far in grooming picks up on the side of the road. First orange trail we take and it's a beauty. I have no idea why they don't put a number on all these orange trails, how difficult is it to put a number on the map, not even the trail? People know where the M21 or 267 are, here it's the first orange trail left past the lake, the next orange trail to right, then another right at the intersection. I'm sure to Groomer, it's called the green camp trail or something, but that doesn't help us.

Once we check in to hotel, it's clear there is excitement in the air, the town is bustling. We think St Patrick's day is in full swing, we are wrong, super party hot-dog is on Sunday, and everyone is excited. We saw the Yamaha hot-dog mobile, very slick. We saw Groomer outside of his family skidoo dealership dressed up as a hot-dog waving to the people and handing out mustard and relish packets to the kids. I've wondered why the locals don't call him Groomer, but instead, the bearded hot-dog, lol.

RR, we are heading to RDL in the morning, I'll look for you in the odd chance we pass. The expeditions will be hard to miss if you have them. You can ride the mountains with a short track right now, but I'm sure Fl snowman could still get stuck.

post-12-0-47553400-1458249632_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-50671300-1458249676_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-38269400-1458249699_thumb.jpeg

post-12-0-42382500-1458249737_thumb.jpeg