Anyone read this article

Jackstraw

Seemed injured person was close to the road, I know you are not suppose to move someone who is injured but moving him to help is better than sitting there watching him die. R I P.

Yes, I've been following this tragic story, my heart goes out to his family, listen to his brothers 13 minute interview. The story just doesn't make sense. Having worked for an urban fire/ems department for over 20 years, I don't believe that I could have done nothing in this situation. If it would have been a policy violation to provide help in this situation, as it was described, I think that I would suffer whatever administrative consequences, with a clear conscience. I would rather be in trouble for doing something than doing nothing. I can't stess enough, that these opinions are based on the information that I have viewed to date.

Gut wrenching story. Doesn't sound good for the EMTs once the police officer was ridden to the scene. It's easy to second guess and speculate but it seems like the policeman and 2nd Francophone sledder should have gone back together to try to get the EMTs. Once the officer has been to the scene and back to the ambulance that getting lost argument doesn't seem to hold any more water.

Yes, unfortunately I have been following this.

What we have here is the Paramedics following protcol. Is it right? Hell no, but they have a way rescues are carried out. These Paramedics were assigned to the "route" and not authorized to enter the bush without fire/police operations.

Yes the human thing to do is run in there and help, for sure. Things need to be changed. Sadly too late for this man.

Probably one of the worst places to have an incident, not to mention the conditions that day(full blizzard) and yes Paramedics were at L'etape but they protocol requires they enter the trail with the Fire Dept or Police but only if equipped to do so, helmets and protective clothing.

Response time is long in many area's then add the weather that day and you have a tragedy.

Yes....I thought there were full blizzard conditions at that time also. A bad set of circumstances. Very sad how this all ended. My prayers for the family and also for the Paramedics who I am sure will struggle with how this all played out as well.

I have personally seen the SQ, fire department and ambulance stage and do rescues from La Glaciere several times. I guess it depends on many issues... location, weather and the resources of the local emergency services, I know La Glaciere has a rescue sled staged under the pole barn. Very sad that this happened and it pains me to see the bashing of Quebec going on over this tragedy, look at New england sled talk facebook page, terrible.....of course most of the posts are from keyboard riders with no clue about how things really are in this wonderful province.

Auberge KM 31 posted today on their Facebook page that the Cronscrits club stations an evacuation sled and any equipment the police or EMTs need along with it at their site.

I think that is vital information the clubs need to obtain from the EMT's for a safe a secure evacuation then prepare key locations through out the province especially in remote areas, maybe a first responder volunteer program could be introduced to the clubs untill the EMT's arrive just like in suburban areas at home.

Political red tape is always a handful to get around.

Let get smart about this.

RIP Mr.Dumont

I think that is vital information the clubs need to obtain from the EMT's for a safe a secure evacuation then prepare key locations through out the province especially in remote areas, maybe a first responder volunteer program could be introduced to the clubs untill the EMT's arrive just like in suburban areas at home.

Political red tape is always a handful to get around.

Let get smart about this.

RIP Mr.Dumont

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they should add it the maps and the iMotoneige app. From the story it sounds like the darn thing was near but no one trying to help him knew or realized it - partly because of the conditions I guess.