Magog/Orford????

timbo

Lads

We are scant days from the Summer Solstice. Yes, amigos, thereafter the days grow shorter. The nites longer. That most blessed of seasons looms on the near horizon. Those faithful devotees of the snow will have thoughts full of traversing a winter wonderland, astride their good sled (average sled if they are for some reason forced to ride other than Polaris machines), amazed at the winter wonderland surrounding.

NOW that I have that out of my system, lol, I have a question for you who may be familiar with Magog/Orford area. Anyone have any suggestions/experience with motel/hotel there that would be a decent place to leave one's rig while taking off on a week or so on a saddlebag excursion. From here in PA, if one anticipates heading east out thru Esterie, Chaudiere Appalache, bas ST Laurent, to the Gaspesie, we can save two hours or so driving, and a day or more riding (if Berthier ferry or the Laviolette bridge shuttle are open) than if we do our traditional start from Grand Mere.

Any suggestions??

Rob had his truck stolen from a motel about 15 miles north of Magog about 15 years ago. Snow conditions in this area are usually not the best. I past by this area when I had heading north and I would say most times the trails are junk. Just my observations for the past 14 years.

Edited by Saguenay Bill

The crime is less than the usual hot spots, but take the appropriate precautions and it won't be a problem. Like Bill said, snow in that region is hit or miss. I'm only 20 miles south of the border in VT and cross into that area when I can because the trails and traffic are much better on weekends. I've never left on a long trip from VT since no one I know is legal in VT, but several on here have. If the snow is good, I would do it. Stanstead and Ayers Cliff are closer to the border and are smaller towns or go a little east to Coaticook to get away from 55.

Bill you shouldn't beat around the bush so much! LOL Looks like you have your answer Timbo!

Indeed, Andy, i find Bill's candid assessments to be quite refreshing.

Thanks, Bill :-)

We made a trip using Magog as a base to ride into CA Some years ago. I think it was the 2010 winter and the snow fell in great amounts south of the St. Lawrence that year Magog is a neat little ski town with very low snowmobile traffic and when we were there the grooming was really good One thing is we probably saw seen the most wildlife while riding on the trail in that area Because of the low snowmobile traffic there doesn't seem to be as much catering to sledders in the area So there are not any locked corrals or extra security measures. We had a hard time finding trail maps and even trail passes when we went there. I had rented a house because that's how I used to plan my trips then. the best trail access that I remember was a low level motel near the St Hubert's which is North towards Orford. Riding west northwest from there was really good. La Patrie Megantic Guadaloupe etc.

Thanks for the info, Jack!

We had ridden that area a few years ago (Valcourt, Magog, Sherbrooke, etc) and had great trails in early March. (might have been the 2010 winter you mentioned????) We rode down there on a loop from SMDS. We had not commenced our ride in that area so I have no experience with leaving truck & trailer there.

Edited by timbo

ZOINKS I'm the map boss but don't follow me I meant north and EAST! Because of the town Main Street I could see a nice family trip to Magog with day loops and staying at one of the spas or a rented house with a hot tub. That trip was before we lost our trucks to theft at another chalet rental so for bag trips we have been only going to hotels where we think our stuff is safe.

The motel is Motel de la Pente Douce

Estrimont Suites and Spa is also right there. I can offer no personal security experience from either place.

I live 2 hrs from the Vt/Quebec border. We used to leave our rig in Derby, Vt and saddlebag off to Quebec but have not done that for 10-12yrs. What seemed to have happened in the Eastern Townships was that low ridership and snow conditions caused clubs to either abandon or seriously curtail grooming/signing/maintenance. (Vt also had no trail to the border crossing for a time but that has been fixed now) It also seemed that the area was in a "dry slot" for snow because the C/A region would have a banner year but the Eastern Townships would be marginal. Even when the area was at its peak, we decided it was really worth the time on the black trail to begin our trips from a point further north because that's where the trails and services really improve.

I believe I advised Jack years ago when he stayed and rode in the area. I think to stay and ride in the area is different than using it as a launching point. If you happen to pick the day before they groom to leave on your trip, you ride crappy trails - which is not what you want when you want to get somewhere - versus picking another trail or going a different direction when staying in the area. I wouldn't consider launching anywhere south of La Guadeloupe/St Georges if it were me -

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Used to ride in from Colebrook NH several times each winter (weather permitting). 15yrs ago the trails were excellent. In the last 5 years the ATV crowd has really pushed out the sledders. Most trails are "shared" now, and the shared trails are groomed by the ATV clubs groomers. These groomers cut the trail depth down(actually plow away 1/2 the snow depth) and keep it super hard packed for ATV's.

If you start in Maine- like Jackman- its good all the way. But getting to Jackman from Pa is worse....

I would side with Vt-blu and go st.george east, or Shawinigan north.

This picture is to remind us of the great winter ahead!!!

Andy

Andy: About 40 miles East of your above photo...87* sunny and HOT here in PA today.

post-51-0-42992800-1466984851_thumb.jpg

Need to see those in person. I must be the only member here who hasn't been to the Gaspe.

Thanks for sharing the picture

You really need to go. Even if you don't do the whole loop around, there is much to see.

You'll never regret it!

Need to see those in person. I must be the only member here who hasn't been to the Gaspe.

Thanks for sharing the picture

Gaspe flurries!!!! Happy Canada Day!!!

Andy

post-14-0-99251800-1467399242_thumb.jpg

Hi Timbo,

My home turf. On the low snow years it's a tough ride. I was always going up through Pittsburg. The best snow hugs the north side of the mountain range. Going through Magantic and staying along the mountains up to St. George the trails mid season are great, but not well marked. The farther north you go, the poorer the snow conditions. I will see if I still have the gps maps. I have not been on those trails in about 5 years. From St. Georges heading north east, there is a great trail that is mostly gas line riding heading up to Cabano.

There are a few club houses, one on the trail coming out from Jackman, another just up the road, just prior to getting up to St. Georges. Keep you sleds chained if you stay near St. Georges. The area usually has some great riding from mid Feb until the end of March. There are a lot of sugaring lines on the trees around St. Albans.

Newport Vermont could be a good starting point. Only sledded over in that area once.

Bob