Duramax Motor - Block Heater - Type of extension cord?

Hello all.

Looking forward to the upcoming season. In preparation for same I purchased a '16 Silverado - 2500 with a diesel motor. It is my first diesel. As a result I was wondering what type of extension cord is the best to plug into the block heater. In reading some articles I learned all extensions cords are NOT equal as they actually make specific cords and lengths for the arctic temperatures we encounter in Quebec. I would be very appreciative of a response from those of you who have experience. Make, model, length, gauge, etc ?....

Many thanks,

Think Snow !

Paddy O

post-1509-0-67366600-1473518834_thumb.jpg

post-1509-0-43508400-1473519295.jpg

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

Gratz on the new truck purchase.

While I can't guide you on a type of block heater, I would avoid any pvc insulated cord. Stick with a rubberized jacket extension cord. A silicone jacket may work well in sub zero environments.

Wire gauge is proportional to length. The longer the cord, the larger the wire diameter (smaller AWG #). Start with a 12AWG cable for a 50ft length. The drawback to an undersized wire is a lower overall wattage at the heater.

Good luck

Thank you...Your answer / describing the extension cord is what I was looking to receive as the vehicle comes pre-equipped with the block heater.

The article I referenced reading stated specific electrical cords are purposely manufactured for "arctic" like air temperature. I still learn something new everyday.

Have a great season.

Thanks again...

Paddy O

In looking through the Northern catalog

They list an extension cord that is good for -40f

15 amp 125v 1875 watts part # 50317-1751 for a 100'

I have had my 2010 gmc diesel parked for more than a Week with extremely cold temps. And it started right. But I do have a 100' cord in the trailer

I love my duramax for comfort and tugging capability

Hope you have a great experience with yours!!

Schooter

A mighty fine looking truck!

I've been driving diesel trucks to Quebec for many years. The advice you received above is sound. One comment I would make is "get as close to your power source as you can" ; the shorter the cord the better. I have 25', 50' and 100' drag cords, rated at 15A, 800w, or better. I try to get as close as possible to the outlet and use the shortest cord that will work.

Timbo

Edited by timbo

I've never plugged any of mine in. I would fill the rig in town add some 911 and a few gallons of high test gas. The gas won't hurt a thing. When I return I would hit the glow plugs two to three times. Rig started every time for many years. Many trips the truck would be in 40 plus below. Few times it was cold enough for the oil filter gasket to leak but that stopped quickly.

I do however big a spare fuel filter but. Never used it.

Security I did several ways from pulling motor relays under hood. To re purpose over head console light switch to a ignition interrupt. I did have to run to new parallel lines for that to work. Pig tails under dash allowed for change back once home. That was hands down the most clever way I disabled a rig. Plain sight always works best.

Best regards

Just Jesse

Great looking rig, Paddy O!

Modern diesels are far less balky than those of just 3-5yrs ago. The new injection systems, glow and fuel heaters make them start in winter nearly as they do in summer. Fuel quality is critical. Make sure you get your fuel somewhere that moves allot of it so you get fresh and seasonally blended product. DO NOT EVER put gasoline in your truck as rmk suggested. It absolutely will harm your Duramax and will instantly void your warranty. We have a VW Jetta TDI 'clean diesel' (our 3rd) and have NEVER had a no-start. I run an additive all year as it also acts as a cleaner, lubricates the injection pump, and prevents gelling in cold weather. PowerService or StanaDyne are both excellent products.

As far as the extension cord, you can get a good heavy duty cold weather unit at most Home Depots. They are usually a different color and material than the others and come in several lengths. Shorter is best and I wouldn't keep it plugged in for extended periods if you can help it because the heater will eventually fail. We have the unit on our club's Tucker SnowCat on a timer. Like Schooter said, I wouldn't bother to plug it in unless it is below -10F

Good luck and enjoy it!

Most people get back to their rigs the night before they leave to head back, not always but usually. So if this works for you then just try to start it when you get back if it won't go then plug it overnight before you leave the next morning.

Edited by iceman

It's cool that my Duramax also came with the plug in. And we installed these warmers on the Yammis: https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/detail.php?sectionId=AC&groupId=3&subGroupId=31&categoryId=199&itemId=1957 But never used any of it. I should probably get with this extension cord chat?

Kinda not gonna help with a frozen diesel block, but lighter grade of oil for winter helps starting and in general. And these fit just as easily in a saddle bag as they do into a glove box!... https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters

Great looking rig, Paddy O!

Modern diesels are far less balky than those of just 3-5yrs ago. The new injection systems, glow and fuel heaters make them start in winter nearly as they do in summer. Fuel quality is critical. Make sure you get your fuel somewhere that moves allot of it so you get fresh and seasonally blended product. DO NOT EVER put gasoline in your truck as rmk suggested. It absolutely will harm your Duramax and will instantly void your warranty. We have a VW Jetta TDI 'clean diesel' (our 3rd) and have NEVER had a no-start. I run an additive all year as it also acts as a cleaner, lubricates the injection pump, and prevents gelling in cold weather. PowerService or StanaDyne are both excellent products.

As far as the extension cord, you can get a good heavy duty cold weather unit at most Home Depots. They are usually a different color and material than the others and come in several lengths. Shorter is best and I wouldn't keep it plugged in for extended periods if you can help it because the heater will eventually fail. We have the unit on our club's Tucker SnowCat on a timer. Like Schooter said, I wouldn't bother to plug it in unless it is below -10F

Good luck and enjoy it!

I'm on my third duramax truck one ford one ram. Under 5 Gallons of fuel will not do a thing to the motor nor the warranty .

It will how ever change the gel temps of the fuel. More over it has been done for decades on hauling rigs. Only improvement for nearly 20 years to the motor is the style of injection systems and turbo's besides the obvious epa regs

Edited by rmk

Hello all.

Looking forward to the upcoming season. In preparation for same I purchased a '16 Silverado - 2500 with a diesel motor. It is my first diesel. As a result I was wondering what type of extension cord is the best to plug into the block heater. In reading some articles I learned all extensions cords are NOT equal as they actually make specific cords and lengths for the arctic temperatures we encounter in Quebec. I would be very appreciative of a response from those of you who have experience. Make, model, length, gauge, etc ?....

Many thanks,

Think Snow !

Paddy O

Nice truck for a chevy.!

Chris

Try cycling your glow plug warm-up 5 times rather than once or twice.

It works for me at -15F without a block heater.

Also arrive in your northern destination with enough fuel to arrive

and fill up there. Fuel is formulated different for northern areas.

Good Luck and ride safe.

Diesels have come a long ways. Back in the early 60's we had B 61 Macks. You never shut them off in the winter, ran 24/7 in cold climates. I had a 95 Chevy diesel. I'd put 1/3 kerosene to 2/3's diesel fuel in the winter and I still had problems. It had a block heater but not a fuel line heater. went back to gassers.

My dad had one of the converted gas engines that GM thought would be a quick way to get a diesel to market in the late 70's

I hated that thing because it would always break down on the way home from work...never on way in.

The local garage gave him the golden hook award because they towed him so many times

Nice truck. I just recently picked this up too. Have always been a Ford guy but I do like this truck. Had the powerstroke and never really had any issues starting in extreme cold without plugging in. Hopefully this one is just as good.

post-1787-0-64562000-1474376265_thumb.jpg

post-1787-0-01371100-1474376282_thumb.jpg

I'm on my third duramax truck one ford one ram. Under 5 Gallons of fuel will not do a thing to the motor nor the warranty .

It will how ever change the gel temps of the fuel. More over it has been done for decades on hauling rigs. Only improvement for nearly 20 years to the motor is the style of injection systems and turbo's besides the obvious epa regs

Wow! So you've had 5 diesels in what - 12yrs? Doesn't sound like you ran them the 200,000+ miles they should last so maybe you didn't own them long enough for problems to show up?

Gasoline is a solvent; diesel (and kerosene) are oils. Adding a solvent to a diesel engine can cause many issues but the primary one is injector pump damage. It may take awhile but sooner or later it is toast and the repair is usually expensive. Also, even the "less than 5gals" of gasoline you say you used changes the flashpoint of the fuel. This causes the equivalent of pre-ignition in a gas engine but because it is diesel you don't hear it.

I wouldn't want to try to make a warranty claim for a diesel that had gas in the fuel. I'd make a friendly bet that coverage would be denied as soon as they tested the fuel - which they WILL do these days.

Far safer to use an additive to prevent gelling than to take a chance IMO -

(sorry RMK)

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

My dad had one of the converted gas engines that GM thought would be a quick way to get a diesel to market in the late 70's

I hated that thing because it would always break down on the way home from work...never on way in.

The local garage gave him the golden hook award because they towed him so many times

Yeah Ray I knew some people that bought those too. Oldmobile 350 diesel was a real problem child! That engine did more to harm the reputation of diesels than any other model of car or truck in history!

Yeah Ray I knew some people that bought those too. Oldmobile 350 diesel was a real problem child! That engine did more to harm the reputation of diesels than any other model of car or truck in history!

That engine pretty much turned most people off to diesels. Dad even has a '84 Cadillac Seville (the one with the steep angle truck) with a diesel in it he got it at a good price because of the diesel but what a dog. We took the air filter off & there was actual dog food in it!

That engine pretty much turned most people off to diesels. Dad even has a '84 Cadillac Seville (the one with the steep angle truck) with a diesel in it he got it at a good price because of the diesel but what a dog. We took the air filter off & there was actual dog food in it!

At the time, diesels were rare in anything other than heavy equipment and trucks. The fuel suppliers didn't do much about filtering/quality b/c most everything using diesel usually had multiple filters and water separators w/drains. GM should have known better but rushed those things to market with inadequate filters AND poor build quality (remember: this was late 70's early 80's and everyone had trouble meeting emissions with all the 'smog pumps', etc. tacked on to engines breathing through new-fangled catalytic converters) Those motors were under-engineered and soon showed it. The later ones got better but by then it was too late.

I am guessing mice carried that dog food into the air cleaner of Dad's Caddy(?)

245,000 on my 04'Ford, runs like a champ. I plug it in every night in the winter, seems like a lot less stress on the motor when it starts. Plus the heat comes out alot quicker. Don't take that truck to QC anymore but when I did I would plug it in the night before we left to head home. I have had the fuel gel a couple times though. Finally deceided to fill up across the border instead of before as there diesel is rated to -40 instead of -20

A new Ford diesel in the spring, to me a better work truck then GM