Which months are best for trips in Canada

Shadogang

Looking at a couple of trips up in the Saguenay area. Was wondering what the best months are for riding? Just thinking of purchasing a season pass and planning more than one visit and wondered what the conditions are like early on and where to go.

Thanks

If you search, you often find snow middle of November until the end of April.  Many years though in many areas they are shutting down any time after mid March.  December most areas stuff is not froze up and stitched together well.  Normal years you are good to go after the first week in January but January can have those -45C nights, very cold.  Ideal would be Feb 7-March 7.  March is awesome if you know where to go, people stay home, days are longer, trails are good.

• 2 weeks later...

Check the grooming reports before going out...

Go to:  http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/carte-motoneige/index.html

Click "Services" in the upper right corner

Click “Delai de serfacage” (and whatever other "Attraits" you want to see)

Click "Fermer" to close the drop down box

If you switch the view from Carte (map) to Satellite, it's easier to see the Whites (those haven’t been done 3+ days)

THEN HEAD FOR THE GREENS & YELLOWS!!

On 10/18/2016 at 1:34 PM, Shadogang said:

Looking at a couple of trips up in the Saguenay area. Was wondering what the best months are for riding? Just thinking of purchasing a season pass and planning more than one visit and wondered what the conditions are like early on and where to go.

Thanks

Hi Shadogang

As of now I plan on going to going to Saguenay City onJan 05.  I will start posting on Jan 06 regarding conditions where I ride daily.  If I can help you just shoot me a question and I'll get back to you.

Saguenay Bill

On 10/30/2016 at 4:46 PM, PLAYHARD said:

Check the grooming reports before going out...

Go to:  http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/carte-motoneige/index.html

Click "Services" in the upper right corner

Click “Delai de serfacage” (and whatever other "Attraits" you want to see)

Click "Fermer" to close the drop down box

If you switch the view from Carte (map) to Satellite, it's easier to see the Whites (those haven’t been done 3+ days)

THEN HEAD FOR THE GREENS & YELLOWS!!

Maybe Groomer can confirm: It's interesting if you go to this site and switch from Map to Sat you see little pinpoints of green/yellow every couple/few days. If the dozers automatically send beacon signals when they're fired up, I'm guessing it's the club mechanics doing preseason checks based on the locations: St Raymond, LaCabanon, LaTuque... 

52 minutes ago, PLAYHARD said:

Maybe Groomer can confirm: It's interesting if you go to this site and switch from Map to Sat you see little pinpoints of green/yellow every couple/few days. If the dozers automatically send beacon signals when they're fired up, I'm guessing it's the club mechanics doing preseason checks based on the locations: St Raymond, LaCabanon, LaTuque... 

hi playhard !!!

i don t use the fcmq link for groomers....every clubs in pq has his own '' private '' link coming from fcmq....not available for tourists !!! i use that link to know if they re grooming in albertville !!! very seldom i use it !!!

yaaa...that beacon is like a crystal  ball....can tell a lot ....as soon as you start machine...beacon is in function....machine running idle...speed...every time i stop...where the machine is on the trail..delay every 5 mins ,accurate...how long i stopped..all kind of stuff...even what kind of sandwich i had....hhahaa !!!

clubs with 2+ machines...you can switch from one to another !!!

jean-guy

jgh21.jpg

Edited by groomer

hi phil and steven !!!

ahhaha....close !!! ham with salad !!!

if that  beacon could count all the pics i take....probably be able to blow the fuse in the dash !!!

snowing since noon...no accumulations...at least its white...for sure better up the hills !!!

jean-guy

jgh22.jpg

White is good JG

i'll take it no matter where it is.

Raining tonight in MTL sunshine tomorrow

Going to NYC next week end.

Gonna take lots of pics, I'm not a Contributing Member yet but the admins have increased the attachment space so il be posting a little more with out having to delete any.

22 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

White is good JG

i'll take it no matter where it is.

Raining tonight in MTL sunshine tomorrow

Going to NYC next week end.

Gonna take lots of pics, I'm not a Contributing Member yet but the admins have increased the attachment space so il be posting a little more with out having to delete any.

hi jg !!!

-5c today here....but should be warmer my monday !!!

deleted 3 pages last week.....in a row ,for sure it take more time....but not that bad....just like grooming...need patience...ahahaha

jean-guy

jgh23.jpg