Rev XP's

kgallis

I'm on the fence about a new sled for next year. I had the opportunity to get a few hours of seat time on a new Nytro but I have not ridden with anyone that has an XP. How do you guys like the new sleds? Rob, Mikerider, others? Anything to share?

Thanks,

Karl

PS. It's 33 and raining in Havre de Grace, MD....

I love my Renegade XP. The seating position is even better than the original REV, especially for tall riders. The handling is also even better, it really rails when setup properly. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the ride on slower stutter bumps like we get here at home in VT, it can be a bit harsh. Some guys think it is the seat, which doesn't have a lot of padding. And the factory suspension setup was poor. It took a bit of fiddling to get it sorted out. But all in all I think it is a great improvement on an already terrific chassis. No other problems so far.

I was lucky enuf to put some miles on an 600 SDI MXZ XP it was wonderful. Felt like I had been there all my life. Weightless like it was a mini sled...

See the 09 release yet??? Doo Talk or Ski Doo site...1200 CC 4 stroke...

I have a '08 600 GSX LTD this is my second Ski-Doo my first was an '07 MXZ1000 Renegade.

The 1000 was OK nothing special. When the fuel pump went out last March I rode my wife's '07 GSX LTD for two days and realized I liked it better for almost all trail riding. The fill ups at the pump is what hooked me. Plus it's no slouch in the performance dept.

So I put the 1000 up for sale alongside my 900 Fusion and ordered the 600. All the while telling myself I'll just ride it for this season and see what crotch rocket is available for '09 and then hand the 600 down to the wife.

I had plans to change all the panels and make it all black, anything so it would'nt look like a geezer sled. Thankfully those ideas fell to the wayside and when I picked it up I really liked the look of the sled.

My first ride was two weeks ago today out of the HI. 250 miles around LSJ with Bill, Rob, Mike, etc. My ass was very sore before the end of the ride but attributed that to the first ride of the season. Long distance riders are typically refered to as having a cast iron butt, I figured mine was aluminum that day. I am satisfied with the seat, did not have the problem Mikerider had.

Well after 8.5 days of riding totally 2,080 miles I have to say I am completely satified with the sled. Yes there are some small issues (mirrors-fogged speedo).

This is coming from a guy that never thought I'd own a Ski-Doo.

I have some seat time on the original REV but I like the XP much better.

Fuel mileage depends on the weight of my thumb, but I have bettered some 500SS by $2-3 at fill ups by riding more conservatively.

I have had it to 104 with out much problem.

So there it is my 2cents for what it's worth.

Ray

I love my Renegade XP. The seating position is even better than the original REV, especially for tall riders. The handling is also even better, it really rails when setup properly. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the ride on slower stutter bumps like we get here at home in VT, it can be a bit harsh. Some guys think it is the seat, which doesn't have a lot of padding. And the factory suspension setup was poor. It took a bit of fiddling to get it sorted out. But all in all I think it is a great improvement on an already terrific chassis. No other problems so far.

I too as Rob, bought the 08 renegade, this one is a 600sdi, it is my wife's sled but I have put 600 or so miles on it myself, She had the 06 renegade 600 sdi before which she loved but she like this one better. The features Rob describes I would agree with: This sled will be a great hit, it was hard to take the Rev and make it better but BRP has done it with the XP IMO. The sled has 1800 miles on it with no issues other than a few suspension adjustments, drive belt adjustment-( very easy to do on the rear clutch) and a change of plugs at 1400 miles.

RR

To date I only have about 1000 miles on my 08 GSX 600 SDI Limited. I have been riding a Cat for the past several years, so it took a little getting used to. To date the fuel mileage has been very good and the oil consumption has been incredible to say the least. The saving of in gas and oil is noticeable and will add up by the end of the season. I like the riding position, and lots of leg room. I am heading to PQ next week for a few days and will tell more upon my return.

We have 3 rev's a 2006, 2007 and 2008. All are 800's. The 2008 does feel lighter than the others, which it is. My wife loves the handling and throttle response. When she is good, she can squeeze 20 mpg (Canadian gallons) out of it. :good: She thinks this is the best Rev so far for comfort, ride and response BUT we are disappointed with the number of problems.

Problems >

1. The DPM was replaced because originally the fuel mileage was in the 11-12 mpg range

2. The oil consumption was 20:1 gas to oil ratio and had to be adjusted a few times to get it in the 40:1 range (richness is normal from the factory when the sled is new)

3. There was a bad vibration in it and it had to have a bushing for the clutch replaced (this is the third sled my dealer has done so far)

4. We are currently having problems with the service engine light coming on intermittently. The knock sensor was replaced for the service engine light but it didn't fix it. :wacko: My dealer thinks it is in the wiring harness and not a engine problem.

I don't want to scare you with the problems because others that I talk don't have these problems but I think it is fair and important to inform. We haven't broke down on the trail and we haven't lost any ride time. I think we just happened to get one of those sleds that was put together late Friday afternoon just before quiting time.

We ride with 2 others that also have 2008 800's and their's have been fine. She has 2,800 miles on the sled now. We are riding out of St Raymond Sunday for a week trip to western Quebec. We will see if it is fixed. :pardon:

I just saw your question on rear wheels and belts. I haven't heard anything about rear wheels but the belts will have an overheating problem if you play in the deep snow. The belt guard is so good it keeps the noise level down :D and also keeps the excess heat in :sad: . We haven't had any problems with the belt in 2,800 miles of trail riding.

Hi Karl,

Over 3,000 miles on the TNT. Seat is like a brick and the rear suspension is stiff. Weird electrical problems. Handwarmers went and were replaced. No wheel problems. Very bad top speed vibration. Drive belt gets narrower by the minute.

Handles really nice after some help from Rob in finding a good suspension set up. Ergonomics are best I have ridden. The hooked handlebars are worth it but only come on the TNT. I have heard next year the TNT suspension will be dialed in better. I just had the Renegade seat foam put in my TNT, it is much, much softer and cushier. Original foam sacked out, looked like the back of a camel and dealer is trying to warranty it.

Gas mileage on the TNT is usually better than the SDI unless running very hard.

The sled is a hoot to drive; I can t say that about too many sleds. Its just fun. But I would wait for the 09 models as I believe they will be better dialed in.

There was a new E-Tech Doo in the hotel yard this AM. Half a pull and it fired to life after sitting out all night. Idled so smooth! Guy said he is getting 29 mpg, I assume he meant Canadian. No smoke at all while it idled and we talked.

mike

Hi Karl,

Over 3,000 miles on the TNT. Seat is like a brick and the rear suspension is stiff. Weird electrical problems. Handwarmers went and were replaced. No wheel problems. Very bad top speed vibration. Drive belt gets narrower by the minute.

Handles really nice after some help from Rob in finding a good suspension set up. Ergonomics are best I have ridden. The hooked handlebars are worth it but only come on the TNT. I have heard next year the TNT suspension will be dialed in better. I just had the Renegade seat foam put in my TNT, it is much, much softer and cushier. Original foam sacked out, looked like the back of a camel and dealer is trying to warranty it.

Gas mileage on the TNT is usually better than the SDI unless running very hard.

The sled is a hoot to drive; I can t say that about too many sleds. Its just fun. But I would wait for the 09 models as I believe they will be better dialed in.

There was a new E-Tech Doo in the hotel yard this AM. Half a pull and it fired to life after sitting out all night. Idled so smooth! Guy said he is getting 29 mpg, I assume he meant Canadian. No smoke at all while it idled and we talked.

mike

Mike,

Thanks for the review. There are a few '08's left at our dealer in PA, but I'm not going to touch one of them. I'm probably going to go for an '09 TNT (if they make it), since I don't want to be a guinea pig on the first model year E-tech. My brother picked up a new Nytro, which is a nice sled. Everything about it is better than the '07 and earlier Rev's with the exception of the slight push in the corners- it doesn't handle as good in the tight turns as my 500SS. The seating position, power and refinement of the engine are very nice. The only thing that is a negative is the smaller gas tank. I'm going to go with the XP next year so we can switch back and forth during our rides- it's nice to change it up a little bit.

Thanks for the info!

Karl

Mike,

Thanks for the review. There are a few '08's left at our dealer in PA, but I'm not going to touch one of them. I'm probably going to go for an '09 TNT (if they make it), since I don't want to be a guinea pig on the first model year E-tech. My brother picked up a new Nytro, which is a nice sled. Everything about it is better than the '07 and earlier Rev's with the exception of the slight push in the corners- it doesn't handle as good in the tight turns as my 500SS. The seating position, power and refinement of the engine are very nice. The only thing that is a negative is the smaller gas tank. I'm going to go with the XP next year so we can switch back and forth during our rides- it's nice to change it up a little bit.

Thanks for the info!

Karl

Yamaha needs to invest in some ski technology...Add a tour buddy to the Nirto and you are right there. Has he had any problems with the Nitro???

I too as Rob, bought the 08 renegade, this one is a 600sdi, it is my wife's sled but I have put 600 or so miles on it myself, She had the 06 renegade 600 sdi before which she loved but she like this one better. The features Rob describes I would agree with: This sled will be a great hit, it was hard to take the Rev and make it better but BRP has done it with the XP IMO. The sled has 1800 miles on it with no issues other than a few suspension adjustments, drive belt adjustment-( very easy to do on the rear clutch) and a change of plugs at 1400 miles.

RR

Here is a great pic of my wife on her 600 sdi xp playing in some powder on the canadian border in northern maine a few weeks back.

Awesome conditions.

RR

Im the brother...............

No significant problems.

The front end is tweaked slightly without hitting anything. It appears there is a recurring problem with the subframe on the Nytro's. Doesn't noticeably effect my ride.

My only issue with the Nytro is in the cornering. Seems top heavy and the ski's don't like to stick to the ground. I've tinkered with everything and it definetly got better.

Went back and forth with my buddy riding the rev and nytro, both agreed the rev is much easier to ride through the (tight windy tughill secondary trails) corners. Less work and almost a feeling of security.

At times I almost feel unsafe on the Nytro through the corners. Its very unpredictable.

My last attempt is to get heavier springs in the rear end. Im 250 and at the highest setting I bottom out quit often. Hopefully it will help with the weight transfer when hitting the throttle...... The sled has tons of torque and the skis want to leave the ground when on the gas. Limiter is tightened three slots...................

Motor is great. Fit and finish is great. Seating position is A1 for a bigger person although Seat is a little hard as with the xp.

Overrall Im satisfied with the purchase

Cool Scranton...It would be one sled I am going to look at next time around. I hope they offer a 136" soon. I am going to get a chance to ride one soon, a buddy has one.

Thanks...

I like my TNT XP alot. Handles good,good mpg 18-20mpg.Love the ergos with the bars & extra leg room.

I have 1700 mi. on the sled. I just returned from a five day 1300 mi ride out of the HI in Jonquirre.

Feels like the seat is starting to go bad like Mikeriders did.

My biggest bitch about the sled is a drivetrain vibration at speed.It feels like a belt is going to blow.I hear alot of TNT's have this prob.It is unacceptable to me.I will look into it & post what I find.After a 250 or 300 mi. day the last thing I feel like doing is adjusting the belt.(If that fixes it) I know I am down on RPM's & Bill & Mike said to adjust the belt or turn the clickers.

1500 miles on my 600 Adrenaline XP. NO breakdowns or warranty issues. Speedo and odometer off 3% which is great, not 12 % like older models. GPS fuel mileage 16mpg, oil usage 1 liter-210 miles....bank on it. Put 6500 miles on 05 SDI Adrenaline and thought that was cat's ass...this one WAY better. No handwarmer issues about as cold to ride as older Rev. 101mph top speed on GPS. Super light to lift if stuck. No belt issues, none of the stuff like you see on Dootalk. Only complaint is weenee shocks/springs... 180lbs. and everything set on full tilt. Still bottoms out. I might ride too hard. :wacko:

2 weeks ago 1 of our guys put one upside down in a drainage ditch in 4 feet of water -29f at night near Hebertville. Got him to safety, warmth. All you could see was the rear bumper and back of track. 6 of us with 2 towropes flipped it over in the water and pulled it 8 feet almost straight out. It's SOOOO light. Try that with an Apex! A guy who was at the bar at the clubhouse there took the sled overnight to heated garage. Next morning sled ready to roll. Rode it the rest of the week....I figured it would be a nightmare of freeze-ups after that but it had no issues because of that.

I'm quite negative about first year sleds. I fix European autos for a living and see the maintenance issues with machinery. This sled is built like a cheap P.O.S. but one must forget that and just enjoy it because a sled is just another tool to have a good time!

My biggest problem this season is BRPs lack of service to Americans in Quebec. We were at 4 different BRP dealers on one trip and NONE were willing to help with warranty issues for some of the riders. All were minor issues like fuses that kept blowing and handlebar warmers that quit. Got the same response from all dealers." We're very busy; can't look at it for 3 weeks" (yeah right). 1 dealer in Dolbeau charged for fixing a handlebar grip that was a known warranty issue. Made customer pay $60 CASH to replace 1 handgrip and wouldn't give him a receipt and he asked! These were dealers in the past who have been a huge help in years past. Doesn't look good for a customer to tear down a sled in their front yard does it? Absolutely unacceptable! Bottom line...If you are from the USA and ride in Quebec and need warranty or service from BRP you'd better buy a ticket from the Orleans bus company because you will need it to get home!

Another problem with BRP this season is almost everything I have ordered from local dealer on backorder. I think they got caught behind the 8 ball this season.

IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO BUY THIS SEASON DO IT BECAUSE OF BRP's LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE, PARTS AVAILABILITY....BRP BLOWS! =@ The XP itself is a great product.

Warranty issues in Canada with any manufacturer need to be paid & presented to your dealer when you get home. You usually have to fight because they overcharge in Canada. Polaris did reimburse in full once. It wasn't easy.

Glad your XP is working well.

Warranty issues in Canada with any manufacturer need to be paid & presented to your dealer when you get home. You usually have to fight because they overcharge in Canada. Polaris did reimburse in full once. It wasn't easy.

Glad your XP is working well.

I've ridden in Quebec 20 years now. Used these same dealers lots of times, never any issues. My dealer here in the states said BRP screwed Quebec dealers by not letting them do any Warranty work to US bought sleds if you are Canadian. Who knows.

Spring ordered a TNT for Mrs. Crazed and after riding it for a day decided never to get back on my '05 REV. Two main reasons: way better handling than my '05 REV and leg room. Her TNT is a little stiff for my taste and I ended up with the Adrn. 600SDI. The TNT was delivered at my dealer in August. They asked if they could sell hers and replace it with one in December. So hers came from the factory with all the updates done (specifically the hand warmers). The only problem other than not having more time to ride is the TNT switched to metric and can only be switched back by the dealer. She didn’t notice and was very excited to tell everyone she had gone 160 on her snowmobile. She was very disappointed when I told her that was Kmh and not MPH!!!

D064.jpg

This morning I am installing the rear TNT shocks in the Adrenaline. They were only about $400 to buy outright and they are revalveable/rebuildable. Hope they're not too stiff!

I would have bought the TNT but I will never have a carbed sled again. Now NEXT years TNT hopefully will be a winner with D.I.

Nice picture! It's great to see the wives riding. It's such a dying sport.