Mont Laurier area

Duster

I prefer Auberge du Draveur in Maniwaki  no particular reason. There is always police presence at the hotel they always have breakfast there and park there truck and trailer in there lot.This is typically my start point for western and central riding. As Phil1 said Chateau Logue is also nice.

Edited by doonali

48 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

We have stayed at Auberge Du Draveur in Manawaki, nice place, no corral or anything though for your truck / trailer but we have never had a problem. That being I still prefer a locked corral for the truck or staying somewhere off the beaten path as stated nothing worse than coming back after being gone for 7/8 days on the sleds and no truck or trailer .......................

That's the place I was looking at.

4 hours ago, Pipeman said:

We have stayed at Auberge Du Draveur in Manawaki, nice place, no corral or anything though for your truck / trailer but we have never had a problem. That being I still prefer a locked corral for the truck or staying somewhere off the beaten path as stated nothing worse than coming back after being gone for 7/8 days on the sleds and no truck or trailer .......................

Yep stayed here last year. Good place to get a nights sleep and free breakfast in the morning is nice. Hotel is nothing to write home about but you stay warm and dry. The bartender had a set that made me wonder how she stands up straight. Never felt like there would be a problem leaving truck and trailer there. 

9 hours ago, Pipeman said:

And the whole time your gone you are worried that it will be stolen.  No corral....no start from there.

9 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Why drive that far? Go to the Forestel in Val Dor and take off from there and avoid the crowds, unless your going midweek. Just a thought.

Did that last year. 

Want to try a new region and yes we are going Tuesday to Friday

No compounds that I know of in that area of Mont Laurier or Maniwaki. 

Now, I am not used to day trips out and back to the same place, usually we are moving on. That said the area there I pass through when I need to and that's about all I know. IF the snow co-operates the area sure has lots of nice day loops looking at the map. It's certainly different than Abitibi and the super highway trails of the west. 

Just go to Maniwaki to Auberge du Draveur. Lock your sleds at night and just take precautions with your rigs. 

That is all i got to say about that. 

How long was it for you to get to Val d'Or by truck last year? Just curious. 3.5-4 hrs is nothing most guys on here are driving alot more hours than that to get to their favorite starting points. 

More windshield time is not always a bad thing. Go all the way or don't go. 

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Auberge du Draveur has an electronic cable lock system for sleds. If the system is tampered with it automatically summons the police. I was told by one of the employee's that a cat had even activated the alarm.. As for truck/trailer no corral.

11 minutes ago, doonali said:

Auberge du Draveur has an electronic cable lock system for sleds. If the system is tampered with it automatically summons the police. I was told by one of the employee's that a cat had even activated the alarm.. As for truck/trailer no corral.

Yes I am familiar with the cable lock thing looped thru sled. Love that they provide such a service. However, maybe it is just me but I'm chaining up and using whatever they got. Just feel more confident about it.

8 hours ago, iceman said:

No compounds that I know of in that area of Mont Laurier or Maniwaki. 

Now, I am not used to day trips out and back to the same place, usually we are moving on. That said the area there I pass through when I need to and that's about all I know. IF the snow co-operates the area sure has lots of nice day loops looking at the map. It's certainly different than Abitibi and the super highway trails of the west. 

Just go to Maniwaki to Auberge du Draveur. Lock your sleds at night and just take precautions with your rigs. 

That is all i got to say about that. 

How long was it for you to get to Val d'Or by truck last year? Just curious. 3.5-4 hrs is nothing most guys on here are driving alot more hours than that to get to their favorite starting points. 

More windshield time is not always a bad thing. Go all the way or don't go. 

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Well we din't drive right to Val D'or

We stayed in Temiskaming and left the trucks there and did a three day saddle bag tour.

No 3-4 isnt far to go

It seems like it to us because I live in beautiful snowmobile country

We get above average snow falls

Amazing trails that are groomed well when we get the snow to work with

Some locals don't understand why we would trailer anywhere but its just to see some different areas

The pic is taken from my deck

A staked trail runs right down the lake between me and that island

No pic wasn't taken this year

deck.JPG

27 minutes ago, Duster said:

Well we din't drive right to Val D'or

We stayed in Temiskaming and left the trucks there and did a three day saddle bag tour.

No 3-4 isnt far to go

It seems like it to us because I live in beautiful snowmobile country

We get above average snow falls

Amazing trails that are groomed well when we get the snow to work with

Some locals don't understand why we would trailer anywhere but its just to see some different areas

The pic is taken from my deck

A staked trail runs right down the lake between me and that island

No pic wasn't taken this year

deck.JPG

I understand completely. 

Lake St.Peter

You are right in the thick of it Duster. Beautiful area, lots of lakes.

Always nice to explore a little.

You could try riding out of Rolphton or Deep River and cross the river, not too far to drive to.

7 minutes ago, iceman said:

I understand completely. 

5 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

Lake St.Peter

You are right in the thick of it Duster. Beautiful area, lots of lakes.

Always nice to explore a little.

You could try riding out of Rolphton or Deep River and cross the river, not too far to drive to.

Baptiste Lake

Duster,

Born and raised in Maniwaki, I've been sledding the area for years. It's my playground. I hear ya to be preoccupied with security. If I can reassure you, I have never ever heard or read in the local paper of a sled/rigs being stolen neither at Auberge du Draveur nor at the Chateau Logue. Guys from Syracuse always leave from Auberge du Draveur on their annual saddlebag trip. It is a small community and lots of people are choosing Maniwaki as a starting point.  

That doesn't mean not to lock up your sleds at night. We always do when saddlebagging.

Hope that helps.

25 minutes ago, Mid Range said:

Duster,

Born and raised in Maniwaki, I've been sledding the area for years. It's my playground. I hear ya to be preoccupied with security. If I can reassure you, I have never ever heard or read in the local paper of a sled/rigs being stolen neither at Auberge du Draveur nor at the Chateau Logue. Guys from Syracuse always leave from Auberge du Draveur on their annual saddlebag trip. It is a small community and lots of people are choosing Maniwaki as a starting point.  

That doesn't mean not to lock up your sleds at night. We always do when saddlebagging.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Mid Range !

That does help

I have pretty much decided to stay in Maniwaki

Going to do day trips out of there

Really looking forward to checking out your area !

3 hours ago, Duster said:

Thanks Mid Range !

That does help

I have pretty much decided to stay in Maniwaki

Going to do day trips out of there

Really looking forward to checking out your area !

Hopefully you will enjoy your stay in my neck of the woods. You can get your trail pass directly from the motel. If you have any question, just ask.

http://www.oursblancs.com/home.html

On 11/1/2016 at 7:44 PM, iceman said:

In town here

http://www.choicehotels.ca/en/comfort-inn-mont-laurier-hotel-cn663?promo=gglocalcaen

or

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotel-details.67024.html?iata=00171880&ssob=BLBWI0004G&cid=BLBWI0004G:google:gmb:67024

just a heads up. Lock it or lose it, trucks, trailers and sleds in Mont Laurier. 

Comfort in is my choice of the two. 

Have heard that but due to some crazy happenings had to leave our sleds at the Quality Inn for 2 days unattended while we went back to Ontario for our truck/trailer.2 brand new 800 XRS's.No issues when we got back.They were,however under the canopy near the front door. I will say I was a little nervous looking around the corner when we got back.