Need Suggestions

Relheok

I am planning on riding up from Derby, VT with my wife and two kids. I'd like to find a hotel about 100 miles from Derby, VT. We will "saddlebag" and stay at a hotel and ride back home the next day. Lunch in the middle would be great. Any suggestions for me?

23 hours ago, actionjack said:

Victoriaville plots out about 124 miles from border at Derby. Hôtel Le Victorin. 

Sounds like fun. Indoor pool at hotel. 

136 miles to Manior du Lac William. I'd probably do that. 

Thank you! I am not totally opposed to driving a few hours Friday night and riding out of a hotel somewhere. I just figured on keeping the days to around 100 miles because my kids are 6 and 8 and we've only ever done around 75 mile days. I experienced Quebec last year for the first time, Lac St. Jean etc and wanted to bring them into Quebec on a shorter trip. My wife speaks French so that will make it even easier in some ways. 

If you plan to cross the border on sleds in Derby, the last few years it's been real bare around the Border Guard area. Ask before you try if it is passable.

GutZ

Also my brother and I rode out of Sawyerville (East of Sherbrooke) a few springs back and it was good. Small Place, not alot of options in town for gas or food. I can't recall the situation exactly, but it was nice to ride from there.

Sawyerville Hotel I believe was the place.

Edited by MrGutz

I wonder if crossing in Norton would be better or even trailering an hour or two into Quebec? There is so much information about North of the St. Lawrence but I am having trouble finding information closer to home. How much blacktop did you have to run crossing in Derby? We have no wheels on our sleds at this point.

7 minutes ago, Relheok said:

I wonder if crossing in Norton would be better or even trailering an hour or two into Quebec? There is so much information about North of the St. Lawrence but I am having trouble finding information closer to home. How much blacktop did you have to run crossing in Derby? We have no wheels on our sleds at this point.

I've crossed at Derby, maybe 75 yards of black trail. Personally I would trailer that hour or two into Quebec. When I crossed at Derby I did not get the "Quebec" feel that you go to Canada for. Hôtel Bernières, 535 Rue de Bernières, Saint-Nicolas, QC G7A 1C9, Canada; is 175 miles North of Derby well worth the trip. I M O... I am sure there are plenty of other places to stay also.

Never had wheels on my sleds.  I run lots of blacktop every time it snows in my home town and state.  Snow doesn't last long in Maryland. Biteharder sharpener or new carbides.

You could start in Magog and have a nice dinner in town before finally driving home.  The Eastern Townships are much less travelled by sleds and thats part of the appeal when the snow is there.  For someone who is not a big miler its a nice place to ride.  For trail passes or maps in Magog go to Motors RE.  Maybe the only place you'll find much sled info there. There is no fully sled friendly hotel there.  There is a motel near the St Huberts that I expect would be very basic.  Theres a couple of real nice spas there that are not super close to official trails. 

23 hours ago, MrGutz said:

If you plan to cross the border on sleds in Derby, the last few years it's been real bare around the Border Guard area. Ask before you try if it is passable.

GutZ

Also my brother and I rode out of Sawyerville (East of Sherbrooke) a few springs back and it was good. Small Place, not alot of options in town for gas or food. I can't recall the situation exactly, but it was nice to ride from there.

Sawyerville Hotel I believe was the place.

To GutZ's point, its often very thin near Derby. Ive crossed many times over the years and generally speaking, the farther east you can cross the better. If your riding from your yard in Derby, than by all means cross there. But if your already on a trailer to start, Id go farther east, like Stewertstown/Beecher Falls. Or drive 2hrs North to Berneires or Shawinigan and not have to worry about thin snow.

I've also started from Derby, very little blacktop. Only mistake we made was heading North towards Sherbrooke. Good god are there alot of stop signs. After heading East then eventually back to Derby along the Maine new Hampshire border was beautiful.

Okay... So to that end, knowing that I have two young kids and am willing to drive 2ish hours north. Where would you send me that for a decent family hotel with perhaps a pool or at least a good meal in the hotel. I can stay there Friday and Saturday. Ride one loop Saturday and another of Sunday, even if it is out one leg and get lunch just to return on the same trail. 

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be sure to make a hell of a report.

Just a heads up Relheok, should you decide to drive a couple hours north to St.Zenon, Real Masse outfitter is offering a promotion with the purchase of a annual, 3 day or 1 week trail pass from them. You shall get one night free in they're auberge.

They don't have a swimming pool but secure parking a restaurant with healthy servings and are in the midst of all the Launadierie trails.

http://www.realmasse.com/Contact.php?lg=2

Edited by Trailblazer

Shawinigan with Pool.Resto in Hotel. http://m.gouverneurshawinigan.com/home   restaurant is a Pacini... http://www.pacini.ca/restaurant-italien/?/shawinigan

A little further but a real Quebec Experience at these both with pools.

http://www.lacaleauclaire.com/en/

http://www.pourvoirielacblanc.com/

these last two are right in the middle of great riding direct from the doorstep.

the Gouv in Shawinigan is great but others will moan about getting out of town to the trails but if you ride, it's not an issue. If you are a beginner with little or no experience you can still get out very easily. 

South of the River say near Drummondville if the snow is good there are a few hotels there with pools but I have less to say about that as i never stayed there. Go north of the River is my advice. 

The Swimming pool is not easy to come by so if that is a must you will have much less options.

Edited by iceman

Forgot about this one. 

Just south of River in Becancour/St. Gregoire just off the RT 55 and right on TQ 5.

not cheap but a super place. Checks all the boxes.

https://www.aubergegodefroy.com/en/quebec-hotel/home/

or Victoriaville 

http://www.quality-inn-victoriaville.com/

Edited by iceman

Victoriaville has tons of reports thefts on here and HCS.... Anyone been recently? It is amazing how hard this is to plan, LOL. Would be a lot easier if it was just me and the wife and we could put big mileage on.

There's nothing wrong with your first instinct and plan. I assume you are leaving from Derby because this is home or close to home. If so trailering wasn't part  of the plan and your rig is home safe. So long as there is snow, the trails in this area are excellent and lightly travelled. There's no need to go through Sherbrooke so there's no more or less road crossings then anywhere else that is not in the bush.  You're riding with kids so you're not looking to have a high average speed anyway.  Read through the rest of the Eastern Townships threads. There's plenty to offer enjoyed by many as long as the snow is there. If I lived near Derby I would do the same and shoot for Manior du lac William. 

My wife and I prefer a suite where kids get a separate space. For trailering up I would go to Lac a l'eau Claire or the 4 Points in Charlesbourg which both have reasonable suites and pools. 

I went to Lac a l'eau Claire  for a week every February when my kids were young. Absolutely a perfect place to go. First class facilities. Stay in the lodge or better yet rent the condo there for a night or two or three.  Pierre Simdar the owner is spot on with the operations there.  I remember being there one year when the first rev platform was just being introduced to all the skidoo dealers. Was a top secret week!