Shawinigan questions

Grassman24

Guys please excuse my newbie questions. I have had a few so far but just looking to make sure we are planning a great destination ride for our group that's coming up in February to the area. We are looking to make reservations at the Escapade. From what I gather reading info on here is it is a good and safe place to base our rides out of.

Do they still have secure facilities for equipment? I only ask because I recieved a new map of the area and under lodging they aren't listed anymore like on my previous map.

Also they isn't any major road riding in and out of the Escapade right?

Also looking on the map is the Esso station accessible my sled that's near the Escapade? 

Im sure I will have some more questions for you all as the time nears. This forum has been a very useful tool in helping to plan a trip to a new area. Thank you for all your help! 

25 minutes ago, Grassman24 said:

Do they still have secure facilities for equipment?

They have a spot to secure your trucks and trailers.

26 minutes ago, Grassman24 said:

Also they isn't any major road riding in and out of the Escapade right?

No. all by trail.

27 minutes ago, Grassman24 said:

Also looking on the map is the Esso station accessible my sled that's near the Escapade? 

I believe that is a yes.

6 minutes ago, Grassman24 said:

I saw the trail heads there, I guess to ask another question/know before I go, what are the laws or etiquette on riding off trail and across roads or shoulder of roads?

Stay on the trail or stay home. Simple. 

Anywhere you need to cross roads you do it like anywhere else in the world. Not really sure what your asking?

some places you will ride the shoulder of the road but usually not for very long. 

Theres no going anywhere you want, cause if you get caught riding road or shoulders where your not supposed to you will get ticketed for sure,

Edited by iceman

It happens that you must ride on streets from time to time but generally it is not allowed.  There are places you cannot avoid it.  And there are places through small towns where the road more or less is the trail.  In the bush the roads are the trails also.  Don't go blasting down the roads racing your buds in any towns.  Sidewalks are a no no.  Many service stations are full serve and have those air hoses for ringing the attendant don't run them over. Any service you want or need that caters to sleds will have some kind of sled access albeit maybe not direct.  That little stretch in Shawinigan is a good example.  Its not that far between the Escapade and the Esso and Couche Tard but there is a little feeder to get there so you don't have to ride the street.  If you make a mistake and get stopped just be cool and explain you were mistaken and apologize.  

As for Off-trail "Restez le sentier". You'll see this sign a lot. Stay in the trails.  Lots of politics go on every year over trail closures for improper off trail actions - crop damage, noise issues etc.   If your a mountain sled guy that rides trails looking for off trail I would suggest finding a guide service like at Auberge Ravage, Rebaska, or in the Chic Chocs etc.

Edited by actionjack

Sorry for not clarifying that better. I'm not an asshat and going to be riding where ever I want or off trail. That's not my style. I meant off trail as in sidewalks, shoulders of roads to get into a gas station and such. Everywhere has its own rules, laws, and etiquette. I just want to make sure I'm being respectful, that's all. I'd rather ask ahead of time and know then be looking like a disrespectful tourist. 

9 minutes ago, Grassman24 said:

Sorry for not clarifying that better. I'm not an asshat and going to be riding where ever I want or off trail. That's not my style. I meant off trail as in sidewalks, shoulders of roads to get into a gas station and such. Everywhere has its own rules, laws, and etiquette. I just want to make sure I'm being respectful, that's all. I'd rather ask ahead of time and know then be looking like a disrespectful tourist. 

All good...it will be easy to see where you can go and should not go. 

Thanks! Sorry for the confusion. I can look at colored lines on a map and assume what it means but I hate assuming. I would much rather be 100% sure I'm doing what I should be. I'm visiting an area where others live and enjoy to ride and I want to be able to leave and say my actions were never in question of causing an issue or helping in closing a trail. Just looking for the local knowledge. I appreaciate the help!

Hey Grassman24 ..what date are you checking in the Escapade ?..my wife and I check in Feb 19 and head out to St Raymond then Quebec City ...I was booked in at the Comfort Inn but one of the guys here told me about the secure truck and trailer parking at the Escapade ...The info on this site is great ...  

I can't say enough about everyone's help. It's an invaluable forum for Quebec info. 

Headed up on 2/23 as of right now. Staying for 5 nights in the area. I'm really looking forward to making my first trip up to the area. 

Are you staying in Quebec City? we staying at the Four Points for two nights. I spoke to the hotel rep at the Toronto Snowmobile Snow and when she told me they have a shuttle going into the old city and secure lock-up I was sold.     

We are staying in Shawinigan. Same kind of deal with secure parking.  I'm from Syracuse, NY originally so a group of riding friends from Syracuse and I are headed up for 5 nights. Really looking forward to the trip, especially after a low snow year last year.  

Also, since your a newbie, follow the red stakes. Red are for sleds, blue for ATV's. Around Shawinigan theres a lot of both. Trails are occasionally shared with ATV's at road crossings, bridges, and other short stretchs.Then youll see both colors. When the trail forks, follow the red stakes.

When a trail dumps out onto a road, usually, but not always, there will be a few red stakes along the road to follow.until you come back onto the trail. Trail 23 heading east towards St Raymond has a lot of this.

If its Red its for Sled.

Registration- Make sure your sled is registered in the states, as well as having a current Qbec trail pass. A lot of Americans get bagged for this, not realizing that a Qbec trail pass is not the "registration". You need both.

Youll have fun in that area. Twas my first Qbec riding area and we still hit it at least once a season.

Awesome! Good to know about the red stakes! I should be covered on the sled registration.......I have NJ and NY registrations. 

NHTOM, you have any musts on trail loops? Thinking of doing a big loop up to Windigo and back around. Looking to put about 200 miles/day on the odometer.

15 minutes ago, Grassman24 said:

Awesome! Good to know about the red stakes! I should be covered on the sled registration.......I have NJ and NY registrations. 

NHTOM, you have any musts on trail loops? Thinking of doing a big loop up to Windigo and back around. Looking to put about 200 miles/day on the odometer.

We usually start in Shawinigan and head North East.  Im going to defer to Iceman on this, since he lives and rides there.

rSt.Raymond is about 85 miles out, 170 round trip. Take the 3 Est to Rogers for breakfast,

Road crossings & shoulders in/out of the north side of Shawinigan are a bigger deal when staying at Hotel Gouveneur & gassing at Esso. But that's still not going to make you be "that guy".

Might be worth it for you if you're into pretty cool restos & brewery across from their secure parking. And if you're coming back in from the east it's easy to take the gas in Shawini Sud.

3 hours ago, MrGutz said:

Rogers was nice, I don't think it is there still, a Chinese place may be there now. I could be mistaken.

GutZ 

Rogers is back to normal. Re-opened 2 winters ago and its the same as the old days, near as I could tell.

Iceman, can you suggest some 200 mile loops for Grassman?

54 minutes ago, NHTOM said:

I'm not the best with the maps but here are a few suggestions. Feel free to improvise as you can not really go wrong. Some longer than 200 for sure. Any loop to Windigo will be very long day one way on short route is about 250km. Just FYI. IMG_1033.PNGIMG_1034.PNGIMG_1035.PNGIMG_1038.PNGIMG_1039.PNG

3 hours ago, NHTOM said:

Rogers is back to normal. Re-opened 2 winters ago and its the same as the old days, near as I could tell.

Nice, it was good place, FULL of sleds.

GutZ