Is there any area that will be rideable next week?

LOVEMYTRIPLE

Can't wait any longer and I am forced to burn some vacation before I lose it. Anywhere in Quebec have passable trails yet?

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I can't make heads nor tails of the FCMQ trail conditions page. Assuming nothing is open,

but can't find a map legand. Could there be an english trail map somewhere? 

For the very first days I think you might find the trail conditions lagging actual conditions on site.  Snow fell across a wide area and the clubs probably need a lot of volunteers for brush cutting and other last minute details.  You will definitely be limited without long enough freezing weather yet so any places but by rivers will be dead ends. Try the iMotoneige app and use the Delai de suracage feature to see where grooming has been going on.  I think you can do that on FCMQ also with the services button.

fcmq services.png

Vacation has to be Dec 10-18, that's why I asked. Wish I could have arranged it differently. 

The link that Scranton1 posted is looking better today. At least groomer activity is picking up. 

One question though. Is the map all red because of the date only? Is it just too early or are some places ready and only holding out til a certain date before opening? For example, hunting season closes on the Tug Hill Plateau sundown Sunday and some clubs are hoping to open the gates Monday. 

http://www.sledmagazine.com/magazines/motoneiges/cartes/carte.jsp?lg=en

Hit the trails conditions button on the top right.

Club St. Pamphile seems to have the most groomed.  Thats between Quebec City and Maine and up to Riviere du Loup.

The most snow seems to have fallen in Charlevoix.  You would probably have a nice trip at Auberge du Ravage.

Road Runner and the other guys went to Moose Valley in New Brunswick.  Clearly lots of snow there but maybe more of an adventure then a trail ride there.

Edited by actionjack

33 minutes ago, LOVEMYTRIPLE said:

One question though. Is the map all red because of the date only? Is it just too early or are some places ready and only holding out til a certain date before opening? For example, hunting season closes on the Tug Hill Plateau sundown Sunday and some clubs are hoping to open the gates Monday. 

There are alot of factors in play. While there has been great snow in many places it is not everywhere. There is no official opening day. 

Also the ice is not safe anywhere yet that i know of. Without the swamps frozen and the Lakes and Rivers to make connections many trails will be dead ends. 

It's shaping up for sure and the areas grooming now don't have the Swamps and Ice to rely on as much as others. 

If I was going riding next week...hmmmm let's see....there are no big loops to be had that is for sure.

Rivere du Loup....by the looks of things would probably be my bet. RR's crew found pretty good conditions for being this early and I see alot of grooming going on over that way. 

This is probably the closest place to get to. Not sure where you are from. Things are changing daily and looks like maybe signifigant snow Monday but I believe it when its on the ground as the forecast changes 3 times a day.

if you are serious about riding then it means a serious drive. Escoumins and Forrestville have lots groomed from what i see. 

I heard yesterday that they did some grooming in St. Zenon maybe 100km but its rough as there was barely enough snow to groom. 

For the hell of it try calling http://www.roquemont.com/en/ in St Raymond. Not showing much action but read some reports on french site of some riding near there. 

Good luck.

From the French site

1. Armagh (Massif de Sud to RDL area) ~500km groomed

2. Mt. Valin area started grooming.

3. Auberge du Ravage,  Charlevoix - Saguenay.   L'Anse St Jean local trail towards Cleremont - pictured

4.  St-Zenon area is being groomed - probably be crowded on weekend

5. St Raymond club is looking for volunteers from tree limb and brush cutting.  

You can find riding next week if you want it.  Just expect early season conditions and trust no ice.

15409571_10209050127222601_1340406909_o.jpg

Edited by actionjack

Thanks for the posts and the explanations of the way the trails are opened. I realize that it is way too early over most of the province but man does that photo look sweet.

The rub is the distance and uncertainty involved. Rather than trek way out into unknown [for me] areas, I think I'll hold off this time, hang on to the money I would have had to lay out for permits [not complaining] and play it safe. Already ante'd up for insurance, NY registrations and permits for the Adirondacks, so I'll ruin some carbides closer to home. That way if I have to come home with my tail between my legs, I'm only an hour and a half from the house. 

Again, thanks so much for the advice and looking forward to heading your way soon. 

No traces of any grooming taking place in Quebec City yet from what I can see. Been cold for a while now and we have had decent snowfalls so far so I'm hoping for things to start to move soon. If the trails are open by new years when I come back from celebrating Christmas with my family back home in Europe I'll be more than happy.