The Accidents begin.....

iceman

I was hit by a passing sled on Tuesday last week on TQ5 outside of Perce.  I was in a right hand blind corner, my sled all the way to the right.  Oncoming sled on wrong side of the trail, cutting the corner with his ski touching the inside bank.  Absolutely crazy.  All I saw was a flash of green in front of my face.  He must have did an evasive maneuver quickly, as he pulled to his right the rear of his sled fishtailed and clipped my saddle bag and rear of my tunnel.  I fell blessed to be able to even be here today to write this report.  If his reaction time was even a millisecond slower this would have been head on.  I'm very lucky that there was only superficial damage to my sled.  I don't know why folks think that they can ride this way, cutting corners and fishtailing around every turn.  Stay safe everyone.

Another...

571 in Degelis

went off trail due to poor visibility in fog. Yesterday

Snowmobile accident at Degelis
A serious snowmobile accident killed one last night in Dégelis
The tragic event occurred on the federated path 571 which leads to the municipality of Auclair.
According to information gathered by Infodimanche.com, the victim, a man of about fifty, would have left the trail due to reduced visibility (fog) before going violently to hit trees and be Ejected. Alcohol and speed would not be involved.

For reasons of accessibility, the emergency center used the Dégelis Fire Department, which has an evacuation sled. This one was used to reach the man in the trail, then to transport it to the ambulance located on the Turcotte rank.

On 2017-02-20 at 11:28 AM, Tbone said:

I was hit by a passing sled on Tuesday last week on TQ5 outside of Perce.  I was in a right hand blind corner, my sled all the way to the right.  Oncoming sled on wrong side of the trail, cutting the corner with his ski touching the inside bank.  Absolutely crazy.  All I saw was a flash of green in front of my face.  He must have did an evasive maneuver quickly, as he pulled to his right the rear of his sled fishtailed and clipped my saddle bag and rear of my tunnel.  I fell blessed to be able to even be here today to write this report.  If his reaction time was even a millisecond slower this would have been head on.  I'm very lucky that there was only superficial damage to my sled.  I don't know why folks think that they can ride this way, cutting corners and fishtailing around every turn.  Stay safe everyone.

Glade you were not hurt. We have a lot of blind corners in the twistier trails around here. I have had a number of close calls with the exact situation you describe, run off the trail twice to avoid the on coming sled on my side. I don't understand what is going on in people's minds. I have now taken to backing right off on really blind corners especially if I just passed one sled, my experience is, see one hauling a**, a buddy or two is likely to be not far behind cutting corners to keep up. 

Between Gaspe and Murdochville. Bad one.   Hit tree off a cliff into river. 

http://www.lepharillon.ca/faits-divers/2017/2/28/un-motoneigiste-perd-la-vie-dans-le-secteur-de-murdochville.html

A 60-year-old snowmobile died today in the Murdochville area.

The native of the United States was part of a group of 12 people and swerved around 10:30 am on a federated path between Murdochville and Gaspé. The man missed a curve and then hit a tree, according to information gathered by the SQ. The sexagenarian found himself in an unfortunate position in a river at the bottom of a cliff. His companions found him unconscious and the Murdochville firefighters subsequently proceeded with his snowmobile evacuation. The man was taken to an ambulance waiting for him on the roadside, but his death was unfortunately found on the way to the hospital in Gaspé. Reconstructionists collided with the SQ and went to the scene to assess the scene in order to understand the exact circumstances of the event. "At first glance, it does not seem to have criminal elements," concludes the spokesperson of the Sureté du Québec, Christine Coulombe.

10 hours ago, iceman said:

Between Gaspe and Murdochville. Bad one.   Hit tree off a cliff into river. 

http://www.lepharillon.ca/faits-divers/2017/2/28/un-motoneigiste-perd-la-vie-dans-le-secteur-de-murdochville.html

A 60-year-old snowmobile died today in the Murdochville area.

The native of the United States was part of a group of 12 people and swerved around 10:30 am on a federated path between Murdochville and Gaspé. The man missed a curve and then hit a tree, according to information gathered by the SQ. The sexagenarian found himself in an unfortunate position in a river at the bottom of a cliff. His companions found him unconscious and the Murdochville firefighters subsequently proceeded with his snowmobile evacuation. The man was taken to an ambulance waiting for him on the roadside, but his death was unfortunately found on the way to the hospital in Gaspé. Reconstructionists collided with the SQ and went to the scene to assess the scene in order to understand the exact circumstances of the event. "At first glance, it does not seem to have criminal elements," concludes the spokesperson of the Sureté du Québec, Christine Coulombe.

Oh man what a way to go..  

RIP fellow sledders..

3 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

All these accidents will mean more police patrolling the trails in the future.

It sure will, when the powers that be say do something about these accidents, that's the bandaid they will use.

2 hours ago, Andyman said:

Sad, this guy paid with his life for what ever the actual cause was. It is also sad that in the comments some no brain takes this opportunity to give his arm chair evaluation of the cause and who should be responsible.

RIP