Fun with Dick and Sam 2.0

timberman

It looks like the team is planning a week in Quebec beginning Sunday February 19th.  An intense 2500 km loop is being roughed out.     Reporting is planned related to accommodations, trail conditions, restaurant/relais breaks that real sledders are interested in.   Personal observations regarding specific team members' behaviour and peccadillos may also be anticipated.  

The team requested this thread be posted in the Abitibi forum, as was last year's, but they plan to travel through Abitibi, Maurice, Lac St. Jean, and Chibougamau during this odyssey.  

Details regarding individual participants will be provided in subsequent posts, but safe to say this is shaping up to be a fast crew, with a prevalence of BRP 1200's.  

Please advise if there is interest out there.  

Thank you, I like to learn at least a little sumthin every day, so now I know:

"The world loves a spice of wickedness." That observation by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow may explain why people are so willing to forgive peccadilloes as youthful foolishness or lapses of judgment. The willingness to overlook petty faults and minor offenses existed long before English speakers borrowed a modified version of the Spanish pecadillo at the end of the 16th century. Spanish speakers distinguished the pecadillo, or "little sin," from the more serious pecado, their term for a sin of magnitude.

And for what it's worth, I believe it's easier to share & follow a trip if it's all posted in one region's thread!

Edited by PLAYHARD

• 3 weeks later...

Plans for the team's expedition are falling into place nicely.  Departure from Mont Laurier Sunday morning Feb 19 for 7 days riding is confirmed.  A nice scenic truck/trailer drive up to Mont Laurier on Saturday is foreseen, featuring fast-food tours of Renfrew and Maniwaki.  The finale of the drive will likely include a tutorial at Mont Laurier SAQ.  

Sam had a big scare when Dick's participation appeared to be in jeopardy - a round of witty jokes (Sam with no Dick etc etc) were suffered in silence, but the air has cleared and all appears well.  

Other participants are rounding out.  It is looking like wall-to-wall BRP 1200's with the exception of Sam's 900 ACE, all with 137 inch tracks.  Team members are headlined by Dick and Sam, with a supporting cast of less experienced (read younger) sledders who have sculpted their craft under the exacting tutelage of Dick and Sam.  

Edited by timberman
correct syntax

Well, I guess it was inevitable.  The team has disagreement over first night's destination on trail after departing Mont Laurier.  

One faction favours Parent, citing the unmistakable cultural ambience and outstanding decor of the famed Central Hotel.  

Others are pushing for a different route, ending the first day at Pourvoirie Kanawata.  These team members point to the unique cachet of the in-the-woods pourvoirie experience vs the mundane "urban" accommodations at the Central.  

As off-trail supervisor and team mediator, it falls to me to adjudicate.  So I am thus turning to the wisdom and experience of Quebec Rider observers for guidance or comments on these two alternatives.  Kindly weigh in - we need to figure this out within a week.  

Edited by timberman
Correction

Thanks to everyone who weighed-in about this.  Kanawata it is!!  I'll get in touch with them shortly, I recall speaking to a fellow named Mario when I called to check it out a couple weeks ago.  I expect it would be wise to have a booking for us, even on a Sunday night. 

30 minutes ago, timberman said:

Thanks to everyone who weighed-in about this.  Kanawata it is!!  I'll get in touch with them shortly, I recall speaking to a fellow named Mario when I called to check it out a couple weeks ago.  I expect it would be wise to have a booking for us, even on a Sunday night. 

I would, a lot of tour groups stay there

23 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

Okay I'm gonna be the spoiler here, Hotel Central has the nicest......ah just pulling your leg.

Hands down KANAWATA

Well, Trailblazer, I recollect the Central having a couple real nice construction-site bunkhouse trailers to sleep in.  It appears Kanawata will be a major upgrade to that standard, not withstanding the unique atmosphere in the Central cocktail lounge :)

20 hours ago, wulsock1 said:
21 minutes ago, timberman said:

Well, Trailblazer, I recollect the Central having a couple real nice construction-site bunkhouse trailers to sleep in.  It appears Kanawata will be a major upgrade to that standard, not withstanding the unique atmosphere in the Central cocktail lounge :)

The cocktail lounge is kind of exactly like the bar scene in the first Star Wars movie.

If you stay at Hotel Central you will talk about it for years to come....  isn't that what this sport is all about ?  They have rooms upstairs too, honestly not bad and you get a lot of food for the money. I say go for the adventure ! 

We left a buddy there who blew the motor in his sled on super bowl sunday. We headed back to the trucks as he had a ride set up for the morning back. He said no football on the tv and proceeded to get pie eyed in the bar. Swears he hooked up with the cute bartender. All he knows is the wind must have blown his room door wide open while sleeping and said he had as much snow in the room as outside. He did say he wanted to move there the next day!

3 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

We left a buddy there who blew the motor in his sled on super bowl sunday. We headed back to the trucks as he had a ride set up for the morning back. He said no football on the tv and proceeded to get pie eyed in the bar. Swears he hooked up with the cute bartender. All he knows is the wind must have blown his room door wide open while sleeping and said he had as much snow in the room as outside. He did say he wanted to move there the next day!

My point exactly !!

we have always enjoyed the people at the Central 

good food cold beer 

and not far to walk after having 2 adult beverages !

Wanted to add a few points to Timberman's rundown. 

This year we truly are streamlined and improved with a new 900 ace on deck for Sam, and the 3 remaining members sporting 1200 Renegades. This years theme is lean and mean with all unnecessary members not in attendance and an unspoken rule of BRP sleds or turn your truck around. While we don't discriminate or enforce said rule, the conclusion was made based on poor previous performances and this years members and their sled choice reflects it. 

The proposed trip will be a true test of ones machine, liver, gas tanks, stomachs and standards for accommodations along the way. The first bone of contention was indeed the Central Hotel vs. Kanawata. While there may appear to be some savings staying at the Central Hotel, in reality any hope of saving money quickly fades when staring down a bill of over $100 for a large pizza and two pitchers of beer, which i had the pleasure of experiencing first hand. Along with the "premium" priced pizza, the theme at the Central Hotel during my last visit was a Hawaiian Luau peppered with the despair that can only come from mid February afternoon in Parent Quebec. 

With that said we are looking forward to 7 days of fast trails, cheaper gas (thanks to an Orville Redenbacher look-a-like), lots of snow and some good times. 

If you guys really want the Hotel Central bar atmosphere with a much nicer place to stay Domaine l'Ombre du Vent across the river in Parent is a much nicer option. Price is very reasonable, the female half of the ownership is a very welcome sight, especially after being at Hotel Central, but the beds are rock hard. Stayed there last year and would stay there again in a heartbeat.    

http://www.ombreduvent.com/home.html

Edited by JBlavl