Pincourt and surrounding area

Trailblazer

I thought I'd start a thread here because of the early conditions that we're having this year and that the fact I'll be able to leave from the yard. I'll be exploring and reporting trail conditions more in the Monteregie area south of Montreal.

Dec 18 

-5° C with 1/2" of freezing rain on my windshield, other areas north of the river (St.Lawrence) will be getting that addition 10-15 cms in snow form. 

More snow in the forecast for later this week.

Lake St.Louis ice is thickening by the day, I predict us islanders should be able to cross by New Years weekend, grooming has already started in club Harfang de Neige.

Nice, further north near Tremblant we have had no freezing rain only snow. We had about 6 inches on the ground last week and the lake froze with a little snow on it then -30c Fri night and cold all day Fri. Saturday brought about 4-6 inches of snow and -10c temps, another 4 inches of snow over night and snowing quite hard at the moment, -6c. Going into the deep freeze tonight again -27c. All this should add up to well frozen swamps, creeks and lakes. No word on starting to groom from local clubs yet but I imagine they will have all the right conditions to start this week.

4 hours ago, Cnc said:

Nice, further north near Tremblant we have had no freezing rain only snow. We had about 6 inches on the ground last week and the lake froze with a little snow on it then -30c Fri night and cold all day Fri. Saturday brought about 4-6 inches of snow and -10c temps, another 4 inches of snow over night and snowing quite hard at the moment, -6c. Going into the deep freeze tonight again -27c. All this should add up to well frozen swamps, creeks and lakes. No word on starting to groom from local clubs yet but I imagine they will have all the right conditions to start this week.

That's great news Cnc , I'll be in Duhamel on the 26th for a few days, looking forward to a few runs your way, St.Remi, Lac des Plages, Vendee areas.

59 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

That's great news Cnc , I'll be in Duhamel on the 26th for a few days, looking forward to a few runs your way, St.Remi, Lac des Plages, Vendee areas.

Going to The west island for Christmas but I should be driving back up on the 26th. My buddy and I will probably looking for a first run destination if all is well lakes are safe to cross. We should Keep in touch maybe we can meet up.

Dec 20 -5°C

Warmer temps are on the forecast for the next few days through the holidays, above freezing daytime below at night. Doesn't sound good but if we had a little rain to throw into the mix then a deep freeze it would make for a really good base to begin with.

More snow tomorrow and on Thursday. Will take a little island run on the Tundra this week end checking out groomed or ungroomed trails and lake crossings. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jan 2 -4°c

I decided to wait no longer, big time rain coming in tomorrow 35mm, that'll wipe out everything around here and no snow in the 14 day forecast so out the back yard I go, head for the lake, get to the lake and tracks are going left and right but none across the road onto the lake and no tracks to be seen on the lake, dam I hate to be the first. I go right 100' later there's a ramp and sled tracks going down and out to the abiss, I follow, only 2 tracks I'm the third. Stakes you see on the lake are markers for the ice fishing village roads, they've started to pump the lake.

IMG_4728.PNG

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4730.JPG

IMG_4731.JPG

IMG_4732.JPG

Once on the other side the hydro line trail was well covered but watch out for the ditches between the fields, not quite filled up yet. Cross a few fields and I'm in Rigaud.

IMG_4733.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_4735.JPG

IMG_4736.JPG

Rigaud river has got an oval track groomed, maybe some races coming up. Further on the railbed is nicely groomed to the Ontario border, gotta take the last exit, no Ontarion pass. Last exit jumps on the Dalhousie club trails which have the best reputation for grooming in this area. You be the judge.

IMG_4737.JPG

IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4739.JPGIMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4743.JPG

IMG_4744.JPG

Took a little peek at the Ontario border, trail leading to it was well groomed, lots of snow in this area, these guys know what they're doing. JG you been giving lessons that we don't know about. Lol.

IMG_4745.JPG

On the way back took a little detour to visit a Relais that's bee open for a couple years but never took the time to visit, had a peak inside and met the owner, every Saturday night they put on theatre acts, the owner raves about. Will have to stop in and check it out one week end.

IMG_4746.JPG

196 Klms for my afternoon run, probably have to wait a couple weeks for the next backyard departure with hopes the Valleyfield crossing will be ready so I can get to the south shore.

On 1/2/2017 at 9:11 PM, Trailblazer said:

Jan 2 -4°c

I decided to wait no longer, big time rain coming in tomorrow 35mm, that'll wipe out everything around here and no snow in the 14 day forecast so out the back yard I go...

Good Man!  No regrets when they take away your sled and give you a rocking chair on the front porch!

Jan 11 +4c

Didn't get the snow we had hoped for in the forecast 5-10cms, got the rain instead. Warm today and tomorrow positive temperatures with more rain coming in tomorrow.

Had a peak at the lake on the way to work this morning, oh boy after today and tomorrow's warm temps and rain they'll be no snow left for cooling to cross. No snow in the 7 day forecast so let's only hope the groomers can work their magic.

Good news though, the club has staked the lake. Pincourt/Pointe des Cascade crossing.

image.jpeg

image 1.jpeg

20 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

Great Pics! Soon you'll be as good as JG (east)

Later

GutZ

hahhah...right !!!

great shots jg with shacks on the lake !!!

im almost at 10 000 pics since i bought a new camera last july !!!

jean-guy

Jan 19

We received 5 cms of new snow yesterday, not much but we'll take it, need every bit. The lake is no longer naked anymore.

Next weeks forecast calling for more rain and warm temps, a set back yes but just think of the base we'll have afterwards for more new snow.

Winter's not over yet!

• 11 months later...