St-Zénon/Rivière Mattawin by #345+360 trails photo ride-report 17december2016

towing

23 hours ago, dooright said:

Nice !      Yes, the ungroomed section from the bird feeder to the mattawin club turn around did have a few trees down but was very good still .

The only thing missing on that part of the trail is a scenic river as the mattawin river and honestly it has a good mix of everything: opened and covered areas, long stretches for speed, long and short curves, nice views -Oh and also it there is the m21 local -my little section of paradise

We're all a bit jealous and anxious to get up there -Nice report

Thanks

47 minutes ago, M21 Local said:

The only thing missing on that part of the trail is a scenic river as the mattawin river and honestly it has a good mix of everything: opened and covered areas, long stretches for speed, long and short curves, nice views -Oh and also it there is the m21 local -my little section of paradise

We're all a bit jealous and anxious to get up there -Nice report

Thanks

We always look at those turnoffs along the 360  that point off to M20/M21 and think ? ... Hmmmmm  !!

22 minutes ago, dooright said:

We always look at those turnoffs along the 360  that point off to M20/M21 and think ? ... Hmmmmm  !!

Explored those a few years ago.  Think one leg intersects the trail heading up to Repos (forgot #) near the bird feeder area.  The other appeared to be a dead end.  Wonder if they added to these???

First of all, thank you very much to all for your comments about this first pics report, much appreciated by my best half and myself!

:drinks:

On 2016-12-18 at 8:26 PM, blackjack1 said:

great pictures and ride report as always,what type of rear skid is in your new ride towing?thanks mark.like others love your efforts on your sharing you passion

This is some good old stuff,,, an AD Boivin Expert-X , over 40 000kms on this last one but alot care given to it each season start, hard to beat to flatten bumpy trails but they stop manufacturing them 10 years ago so you won't see alot of those on the trails now. I have been ask many time if it was some new yamaha prototype and I had to admit i had agree few times to feed the rumour machine a bit... loll

15 hours ago, HDen said:

Hi Towing! Very nice report! I was at Le Cabanon around noon for lunch. Back to the truck at 3PM. Salutations!

Yes Hden, seen your report(good job!) and had mention it in the beginning of this report, Our path have crossed for sure!!

14 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

Thanks Towing, what is up with not being able to cross the Dam? Is there a reroute?

Hydro Quebec that owned this dam had suspended the crossing a couple years ago and we now cross the Mattawin river few miles away on a new bridge. Way easier than the dam catwalk! Each of us that had cross the dam many time had swearword a couple time in the last twist on the west side. Hydro first closed this way for maintenance on the dam but I doubt we will circulate again on it. I know that  some ATV and side by side had mad damage to the wall on the narrow section in the last summers.

14 hours ago, Teet F8SP said:

Awesome report, much appreciated as always.  You may want to attach the lanyard to your go pro in case it pops off it doesn't end up on the trial...

The Dam is a nice spot for pics.  Its probably a good thing they don't let people cross there anymore..  It was always a bit sketchy especially when the snow gets deep and the rollers up and down get beat in that can't be groomed out.  Surprised nobody ever went off the edge.

13 hours ago, actionjack said:

Great report as usual.  Much better start than last year.

Yes get a lanyard for the go pro with a little plastic clip. The glue on those mounts fails sometimes so although I don't like making holes in my sleds body panels I use bolts on the mounts every where.  Even the little plastic go pro sticky back mounts (except on my helmet).

There's a little road that T's off 345 to get to the east side of the dam (that must be blocked off).  The continuous trail is the 360 north of the dam and and along the river.

Foe the Gopro safety attach I was using the 12 volts cable from my external power. I use a Switronix kit that come with a 4 feet wire that I had route though my jacket and was connected on the venture 12 volts through usb plug. Unfortunately, the cable tear off just under the case on the impact...yes I have to upgrade my safety setup! was lucky to find it back in the fluffy snow!

1 hour ago, hparaptor said:

Explored those a few years ago.  Think one leg intersects the trail heading up to Repos (forgot #) near the bird feeder area.  The other appeared to be a dead end.  Wonder if they added to these???

To my knowledge there's no change to officials trails there but there are locals shortcuts possible, like linking the end of the m21 on the #345 to the repos... locals shortcuts, nothing groomed!

Alain

22 hours ago, towing said:

Hydro Quebec that owned this dam had suspended the crossing a couple years ago and we now cross the Mattawin river few miles away on a new bridge. Way easier than the dam catwalk! Each of us that had cross the dam many time had swearword a couple time in the last twist on the west side. Hydro first closed this way for maintenance on the dam but I doubt we will circulate again on it. I know that  some ATV and side by side had mad damage to the wall on the narrow section in the last summers.

Alain

Will have to talk to my contacts at HQ, next time I have a project there.   Doubt I'll have luck convincing them as the bridge crossing is better.  

The consulting engineer during my last project was familiar with that crossing as he used to ride sleds a few years back.