R TEAM

Scranton1

Nice ride and pictures boys . Question for you Phil . I got a new 850 renagade also but have not had a chance to ride it yet. I haven't started to equip it yet for touring ( I'm a bit of a pack mule for as anybody would tell you who has ridden with me). I notice that you have the mitts on with the hand guards . Are those the semi-rigged mitts that have come out in the last couple of years?I wasn't sure if I could get my old ones to fit with the hand guards . The stacking can and bag seem solid? I see the other sled has the two cans but also running a strap too. I like the Rok straps for that . They never lose their elasticity. I'm afraid my old touring bags will not work and I feel sad about that. They have been on three sleds and have a lot of miles and they have never let me down!

18 minutes ago, snowfarmer said:

Nice ride and pictures boys . Question for you Phil . I got a new 850 renagade also but have not had a chance to ride it yet. I haven't started to equip it yet for touring ( I'm a bit of a pack mule for as anybody would tell you who has ridden with me). I notice that you have the mitts on with the hand guards . Are those the semi-rigged mitts that have come out in the last couple of years?I wasn't sure if I could get my old ones to fit with the hand guards . The stacking can and bag seem solid? I see the other sled has the two cans but also running a strap too. I like the Rok straps for that . They never lose their elasticity. I'm afraid my old touring bags will not work and I feel sad about that. They have been on three sleds and have a lot of miles and they have never let me down!

The 850 is BJ's but the mitts are Choko on big orange  I had to move hand guards in about an inch. The can and bag are very solid as is the 3 gallon on top of the 4 gallons of gas, the 3 gallon is for oil. The 21 liter on top of the gas is rather small, I was a bit disappointed with the size. I am forced to not be a pack mule anymore. I believe the straps are unnecessary, just insurance. My first experience with linQ what a great system.

Phil,  We are heading us on the 26th leaving St Raymond, heading north.  What was your route up and back and how was the trail coditions. 

1 hour ago, blph said:

Phil,  We are heading us on the 26th leaving St Raymond, heading north.  What was your route up and back and how was the trail coditions. 

We went up the 23, soon as you began to climb into the park it was very good, took 83 to Alma then over to Roberval and back to Alma back over to 23 to St Ray. Not everything is open so making loops was limited the lake at Herbertville, top of 23, was not staked yet, a little boney on 83 W under the trees but all passable. We both had new sleds and the time so we just wanted to make a shake down run. 2 1/2 days 525 miles got to scratch the itch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Trip 3

The Eagle has landed and boy did we find a gem.   Auberge des Deux Rives

1 hr south of maniwaki 

6 hrs from Scranton (313 miles) and trans Quebec 13 goes right thru the parking lot.

5 clicks from the rr bed that runs to maniwaki

IMG_2405.PNG

IMG_2403.PNG

IMG_2401.PNG

IMG_2404.PNG

I had a situation years ago when my entire cheek was an ice cube.

saguenay bill hooked me up with some bag balm which really helped that situation.

the cold is definitely nothing to mess with!

caught this early.... we were only riding 20 Min and my face wasnt frozen.

all good and no worries.  Trails were great.

cant wait for doo to come out with a high windshield for Gen 4.

3 minutes ago, Scranton1 said:

....it's doesn't help being 6'3 as well.

No for sure it does not. Even with the Tallest winshield the air still hits me right under my chin. 

I feel your pain. 

2 hours ago, Scranton1 said:

Day 1 Pics

it twas COLD

IMG_2442.PNG

IMG_2452.PNG

IMG_2451.PNG

IMG_2447.PNG

IMG_2450.PNG

I remember pulling into Bernards place years ago and I had frostbite on my face when it was like 20 something below. He handed me a jar of Noxzema and told me to put it on my face and after 15 minutes the stinging  was gone.

I once knew a guy that couldn't get a windshield high enough so he cut a slice off of another and fastened it to his existing one to make it talker. Not pretty but got the job done.

Vaseline is the answer when I need, what goes on in the trail stays in the trail.

Always an adventure. 

7 minutes ago, Scranton1 said:

We bagged the chibougamu leg of the trip due to the extreme cold warning up there and my brush with frost bite.

headed to Clova for the evening.  Anyone in the area 🍻

See just like i said before, that Railbed is not always a great idea. Frostbite or not.

Anyway the best trips as you know are the ones made up as you go. My favorite thing is improvising as we go.