Pics from the Matapedia Valley !!!

groomer

bonsoir smclelan and gutz !!!

well , to be honest ....funny moose....with long legs and suspension like that  ...i guess they did nt care much about the amount of snow on the ground...

weatherman should send rain instead of snow...discouraging to see that ...but not first time...

mid 90's ...3 miles south of clubhouse...first day at work .....third week of may ....2 '' of fresh snow....i still remember like it was yesterday ....very long and wet day when not in shape !!!

i went back to see  if those 2 '' stove pipes '' were there before going to grocery an hr ago ....yaaa still there...

one of the 2 was dancing the '' hula hoop'' for his '' ballerine ''

still  snowing very lightly !!!

jean-guy

DSC_8955.JPG

DSC_8958.JPG

DSC_9000.JPG

DSC_9009.JPG

DSC_8967.JPG

DSC_8964.JPG

25 minutes ago, zeusand said:

Just curious, why did it close? Old mining/ manufacturing Village?

bonsoir zeusand !!!

here s a bit of history about that .......20 years ago maybe....saw a documentary about that  talking about people living a round st jean de cherbourg...st paulin ...st nil ...etc.... matane area...

happened in many other villages...some people were so mad....instead of moving their houses into bigger town....just put the fire to their houses !!!..

In September 1970, 19 priests from the Bas-Saint-Laurent and the Gaspé regions launched the Manifeste des curés anger and three of them founded Operations Dignity. These operations become a real battle for the survival of rural Quebec.

In 1970, Quebec and Ottawa decided to close 81 villages in eastern Quebec, according to the Relocation Plan of the Eastern Quebec Planning Bureau (BAEQ). The governments' objective is to lift the region out of its state of poverty. They also advocate better training of the workforce and the modernization of fisheries and forestry.

The plan to close the villages and the relocation of tens of thousands of people raised the population's discontent. Ten villages will finally be razed.

I also saw the burned houses, the shaved floors and people there dismayed to see disappear what they had built with their hands since the 1930s.

Gilles Roy, founder of Operation Dignity 3
People leave everything behind. They received $ 8,000 for their property and moved to low-rental housing in Rimouski, Matane or Sainte-Anne-des-Monts.

Among the first localities to close, there is Sainte-Paule, in the MRC de Matane. Resistance begins to organize. The parish priest, Charles Banville, is a rebel with a very hung tongue: “The fact that the little people had no voice, I was asked to take the lead in the movement. I woke up one morning, I was at the head of 21 parishes. I had no right to refuse. "

On September 22, 1970, it was the birth of the first Operation Dignity, in the church of Sainte-Paule in front of 3,000 people. The second operation will be launched a year later, in Esprit-Saint, in the hinterland of Rimouski, in front of 6,000 people. Operation Dignity 3 was born in Les Méchins in 1972. A real popular movement was set in motion.

Director Jean-Claude Labrecque launched the film Les Smattes in 1972, which tells the story of two men from Saint-Paulin facing the closure of the village. The Théâtre des Gens-d'En-Bas, for its part, presents collective creations such as We are gone to stay.

And one day it happened / They said: "You are underdeveloped" / We fell again

jean-guy

DSC_0012.JPG

To lift the region out of poverty, wow... very interesting story. Would have never thought of that reason. Don't really understand how that could work unless the government was paying everyone for their house that their about to abandon... or they just walk away and head to the city. Crazy.

Edited by zeusand

good morning artsled and zeusand !!!

thx.....i just read quickly ....bsl and gaspesie ....government wanted to move 65 000 people from those villages....

i remember watching the documentary , people still had the rage....could have hit the journalist and cameraman with a baseball bat ....must have been different life after they ve been moved in bigger cities .......when  they were used to live in the '' outdoor '' ..

here s a list of those threaten villages ...back then 

http://www.operationdignite.com/Liste-des-municipalites-menacees

jean-guy

DSC_4941.JPG

DSC_4945.JPG

8 hours ago, groomer said:

thx.....i just read quickly ....bsl and gaspesie ....government wanted to move 65 000 people from those villages....

i remember watching the documentary , people still had the rage....could have hit the journalist and cameraman with a baseball bat ....must have been different life after they ve been moved in bigger cities .......when  they were used to live in the '' outdoor '' ..

jean-guy

DSC_4941.JPG

DSC_4945.JPG

Amazing story, people need to be in charge of their own life and destiny, called freedom, that is the kind of stuff that wars start over!!

10 hours ago, groomer said:

jean-guy

I noticed on the list of towns closed down was St Octave, now known as Grande Nature.  A popular snowmobile destination.

bonsoir !!!

absolutely right quebec bob !!!

yes smclelan ....back in the 70-80 and maybe 90's....maybe a bit of 00's too ....st octave was used by canadian army to train cadets / soldiers...

great sunshine today .....buuuut cold with strong winds....i still wear my tuque...ahahhaha

sorry for the late reply....busy here in the gaspesie...😁

a little bit of bad news yesterday .....won t use quebec words....might not start working before first week of july ...

jean-guy

DSC_9355.JPG

DSC_9163.JPG

DSC_9187.JPG

DSC_9205.JPG

DSC_9264.JPG

DSC_9258.JPG

DSC_9273.JPG

DSC_9284.JPG

12 hours ago, groomer said:

Thanks for sharing JG!

http://www.operationdignite.com/Journee-de-la-resistance-et-de-la-fierte-rurale

Resistance and Rural Pride Day

The Day of Resistance and Rural Pride crowns each year in May a municipality in eastern Quebec that has been threatened with disappearance, that has taken steps to take charge and that generates concerted initiatives.

In the early 1970s, houses were burnt down and villages were emptied. Today, rural communities are showing determination and creativity in their achievements and their affirmation of living in the territory.

Little story of Resistance and Rural Pride Day

In 2006, during the fundraising campaign for the establishment of a Center for the enhancement of Operations Dignity in Esprit-Saint, was created the Day of Resistance and Rural Pride, a day during which we celebrate the determination, pride, creativity and achievements of a rural municipality. During this day is proclaimed the Manifesto of Rural Pride , written during the first edition at Esprit-Saint.

From one village to another

Esprit-Saint, La Rédemption, Sainte-Paule, the three JAL municipalities (Saint-Juste-du-Lac, Auclair and Lejeune), Saint-Charles-Garnier, Saint-Clément, Les Méchins, Mont-Carmel and Saint-Damase were alternately designated "Municipality of the Resistance". The 10th edition of the Day took place once again in Esprit-Saint, followed by Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac in 2017, Saint-Ulric in 2018 and St-Eugène-de-Ladrière in 2019.

The selection criteria are as follows:

• The municipality was threatened in its existence and resisted.
  • The municipality has taken and continues to take actions to promote the care of the environment.
  • The municipality generates and has generated concerted initiatives.

Main benefits

• Valorization and recognition of the rural environment = pride and sense of belonging to the environment among young people;
  • Visibility of the municipality in its history, its recent achievements, its challenges and its plans for the future;
  • Promotion of the municipality and its recreational tourism infrastructure;
  • Creation of intermunicipal, corporate and individual alliances;
  • Direct economic benefits;
  • National visibility of a regional initiative.

Fundraiser for scholarships:  http://www.operationdignite.com/Fonds-Jean-Marc-Gendron-135

49 minutes ago, groomer said:

might not start working before first week of july ...

Sorry to hear this.  Let's set up an online gallery/store and offer your photos to the world printed on calendars & posters & coffee mugs!

We have increasing cases of small employer friends, who's crews are resisting returning to work,  because unemployment benefits (handouts of taxpayer funds) are more than their labor wages. 

Maybe similar to what caused Les Opérations Dignité, government had good intentions, but the law of unintended consequences takes over.

What do you think about your gallery/store?!  Maybe two. One for the naturistes. One for motor-heads!

10 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Sorry to hear this.  Let's set up an online gallery/store and offer your photos to the world printed on calendars & posters & coffee mugs!

We have increasing cases of small employer friends, who's crews are resisting returning to work,  because unemployment benefits (handouts of taxpayer funds) are more than their labor wages. 

Maybe similar to what caused Les Opérations Dignité, government had good intentions, but the law of unintended consequences takes over.

What do you think about your gallery/store?!  Maybe two. One for the naturistes. One for motor-heads!

good morning playhard !!!

great thx for the offer.......but im still '' old school '' with my pics....most nice pics and maybe all you see on the net ...photograph '' worked '' on their pics to '' upgrade '' them a bit ...give them more effects...

i don t have that skill ......computer stuff always been '' hell '' for me !!!

might go riding my 4w this afternoon and see where we are at with the snow....on the z e c...

still sunshine with crazy winds again !!!

saw something on the net yesterday .....padoue  , between mont joli and sayabec.....they fought to keep their village alive....never been there....nice little village...

and i was thinking .....not related to '' operation dignité ''.....back in the late 70's and in the 80's.........in ste marguerite.......more  than half of the  population were gone working on the crops in s-w ontario.......so , the village had no more money to fix or to renovate church ....they had to tore down the church ....

yesterday , i tried to find that documentary about st paulin ...st jean de cherbourg area...no luck ...ill try again ...

merci !!!

jean-guy

DSC_9391.JPG

DSC_9219.JPG

DSC_9205.JPG

DSC_9195.JPG

DSC_9095.JPG

DSC_9112.JPG

DSC_9180.JPG

DSC_9173.JPG

45 minutes ago, groomer said:

great thx for the offer.......but im still '' old school '' with my pics....

We respect you notre frère!  For being gifted at telling stories thru your lens, and for being OTG (off the grid)!

Just sayin', we've got a bunch of web-savvy folks here, maybe even some with e-commerce expertise?

Gotta keep gas in the 4w & rouge in the chalet!  So if you ever feel like exploring that, just whistle! 

1 hour ago, PLAYHARD said:

We respect you notre frère!  For being gifted at telling stories thru your lens, and for being OTG (off the grid)!

Just sayin', we've got a bunch of web-savvy folks here, maybe even some with e-commerce expertise?

Gotta keep gas in the 4w & rouge in the chalet!  So if you ever feel like exploring that, just whistle! 

Gotta keep gas in the 4w & rouge in the chalet!

i thought about that ....hahha....

unless my boss come up with few ideas...as soon i can make it to camp ...i ll spend time there...

mill yard is full of woods....the owner of the mill ain t buying anything right now...so , this put many people in trouble...

different pics....just a few mins before darkness last night ....colors not very sharp !!!

i just checked a few mins ago .....most of the time when i see graffiti...reminds me the movies in nyc with gene hackman ....pedal to the metal ....driving his car under the subway overpass

i ll go riding around 2 pm ...

thx again 

jean-guy

DSC_3313.JPG

DSC_3308.JPG

DSC_3306.JPG

DSC_3339.JPG

DSC_3362.JPG

bonsoir 

went up to 18 miles...too much snow...down to the 16 ....samething ...then i tried local trail for ste marguerite ....down to the big bridge for the lake and then up to the lake..

1 bear  ....1 deer...3 moose and many gaspesie chickens

jean-guy

DSC_3470.JPG

DSC_3416.JPG

DSC_3391.JPG

DSC_3534.JPG

DSC_3465.JPG

DSC_3453.JPG

DSC_3424.JPG

DSC_3485.JPG

DSC_3491.JPG

DSC_3497.JPG

DSC_3513.JPG

DSC_3511.JPG

DSC_3421.JPG

DSC_3384.JPG

DSC_3442.JPG

DSC_3482.JPG

DSC_3499.JPG

DSC_3505.JPG

DSC_3522.JPG

DSC_3539.JPG

Edited by groomer

On May 14, 2020 at 12:44 PM, groomer said:

.....most of the time when i see graffiti...reminds me the movies in nyc with gene hackman ....pedal to the metal ....driving his car under the subway overpass

Just an every day typical morning commute!...

https://youtu.be/2TVyJ-51jzc

1971's The French Connection features one of the most harrowing car chases in cinema history: Detective Jimmy Doyle (Gene Hackman) hurtling down crowded NYC streets in a brown Pontiac to catch a bad guy who's commandeered an elevated subway train. It's a lurid orgy of screeching tires, darting traffic, and considerable impacts–and as Gothamist explains, much of it was shot on busy city streets with no traffic control, putting unsuspecting drivers and pedestrians literally in the center of the deadly high-speed action.

From IMDB's trivia page on the Academy Award-winning movie:

The car chase was filmed without obtaining the proper permits from the city. Members of the NYPD's tactical force helped control traffic. But most of the control was achieved by the assistant directors with the help of off-duty NYPD officers, many of whom had been involved in the actual case. The assistant directors, under the supervision of Terence A. Donnelly, cleared traffic for approximately five blocks in each direction. Permission was given to literally control the traffic signals on those streets where they ran the chase car. 

Even so, in many instances, they illegally continued the chase into sections with no traffic control, where they actually had to evade real traffic and pedestrians. Many of the (near) collisions in the movie were therefore real and not planned (with the exception of the near-miss of the lady with the baby carriage, which was carefully rehearsed). 

A flashing police light was placed on top of the car to warn bystanders. A camera was mounted on the car's bumper for the shots from the car's point-of-view. Hackman did some of the driving but the extremely dangerous stunts were performed by Bill Hickman, with Friedkin filming from the backseat. Friedkin operated the camera himself because the other camera operators were married with children and he was not.

And that sudden, jarring crash with a crossing white Ford? There's a reason it looks so spontaneous: The other driver was a local who stumbled unbeknownst into the renegade stunt shoot that was taking place on an uncleared public road, according to IMDB:

The car crash during the chase sequence, at the intersection of Stillwell Ave. and 86th St., was unplanned and was included because of its realism. The man whose car was hit had just left his house a few blocks from the intersection to go to work and was unaware that a car chase was being filmed. The producers later paid the bill for the repairs to his car.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:25 PM, groomer said:

bonsoir 

went up to 18 miles...too much snow...down to the 16 ....samething ...then i tried local trail for ste marguerite ....down to the big bridge for the lake and then up to the lake..

1 bear  ....1 deer...3 moose and many gaspesie chickens

jean-guy

DSC_3470.JPG

DSC_3416.JPG

DSC_3391.JPG

DSC_3534.JPG

DSC_3465.JPG

DSC_3453.JPG

DSC_3424.JPG

DSC_3485.JPG

DSC_3491.JPG

DSC_3497.JPG

DSC_3513.JPG

DSC_3511.JPG

DSC_3421.JPG

DSC_3384.JPG

DSC_3442.JPG

DSC_3482.JPG

DSC_3499.JPG

DSC_3505.JPG

DSC_3522.JPG

DSC_3539.JPG

May 15th, you are riding on fresh sled tracks!! Killing me realizing what was left behind this season. The entire month of April!!

5 hours ago, quebec bob said:

May 15th, you are riding on fresh sled tracks!! Killing me realizing what was left behind this season. The entire month of April!!

bonsoir quebec bob !!!

absolutely right....this must hurt for sure....tracks of a friend of mine at the lake....he could have rode a lot more going north of the lake...

and not to stir the pot ( hahhaha )...just back from riding my 4w....at the mile 17 miles on logging rd...fresh tracks...another friend mine...probably rode before noon 

but the end is coming .....snow is turning to whipped cream and slush ....

i went up to the 18 miles today ...still 14 miles  away from my camp ....too much snow...

few pics between logging rd and '' school bus ''......a guy i know on my way back ...stuck in the snow with is s x s , first fields west side of logging rd...he made me say a few strange quebec words....(hahah ) he did nt have the twist to get unstuck !!!

18c this afternoon !!!

jean-guy

DSC_3544.JPG

DSC_3563.JPG

DSC_9522.JPG

DSC_9529.JPG

DSC_3585.JPG

DSC_3579.JPG

DSC_3560.JPG

DSC_3565.JPG

DSC_3545.JPG

DSC_3548.JPG

DSC_3591.JPG

DSC_3596.JPG

DSC_3598.JPG

DSC_3603.JPG

DSC_3606.JPG

DSC_3608.JPG

DSC_3619.JPG

DSC_3622.JPG

DSC_9485.JPG

10 hours ago, nyskidooerinnewhampshire said:

Wonderful photos. As always, THANK YOU !  What's with the abandoned snowmobile? 

Paddy O 

good morning paddy o !!!

the only reason im thinking ....there s a camp about 7 miles from there on the main road....only  a guess ...maybe the guy , if its him ....he s waiting for the road to be out of snow to bring back his sled to his camp ......

another great weather day today ....

merci !!!

jean-guy

DSC_3821.JPG

DSC_3844.JPG

DSC_3838.JPG

DSC_3832.JPG

DSC_3830.JPG

DSC_3849.JPG