Back Into Snowmobiling

wng-2

I've been out for about 15 years, always rode solo.I rode a lot in Quebec, had several back to back 7k mile seasons back in the 90's. I just picked up a 2014 Yamaha RS Venture TF with 738 miles. The wife and I may not get to ride much this year, but I'm hoping this sled will give us many years of service. We ride a Honda Goldwing during the "other" season. The Goldwing has built in intercom, all you have to do is buy headsets for the helmets. We are very used to having this luxury. When I was riding, helmet communication was mediocre at best. I am certain this has improved. I'd like to know what you guys recommend for rider to rider communication, and what would be a good choice of helmets. I believe my snowmobile helmet that is stowed with other gear is a CAT modular. Also from the motorcycle world, I have a Garmin ZUMO GPS. I'm sure this technology has entered the snowmobile world, was wondering if I could make use of it, and how. Thanks very much.

Well... Welcome Back?

15 years... things have gotten better, helmet communications may not be one of them. We struggle every year with this. For two people on the same sled I think the BlueTooth stuff is a good choice. We use the Collett stuff and it's good, but I think it is time to replace them.

The GPS is going to be a big help. There is a static link to a discussion on it. Free Maps and some directions.

Later

GutZ

For communication Sena 20S pilot to passenger will be very good  

For GPS there are others that use Zumos  as long as you can load maps you should be good to go. You can pay Trakmaps or try the free Tilou et Biscuit maps. They are both reasonably accurate to keep you on track. 

Also do a lot of us load iMotoneige in our mind erasers. I have definitely used iMotoneige in the trail to make a trail fork decision as a backup to my GPS.  

Welcome, I bought a 2015 venture GT to replace an aging Polaris 2 up. Still have 2 other polarises but the venture is my go to machine for 2 up. Comfortable, gas milage is decent and it is reliable. Still trying to get it to handle better on the corners but all and all very happy. Gold wing huh?, my brother has one and I ride a Nomad 1600 in summer. I use a zumo 550 on the bike, but use the IMotoneige app on a cell phone when on a sled. Not a preference, just never gave much thought about using the zumo and what Quebec trails I could load on it.

Thanks, I love my Wing, its an 01 with 215k miles so far. My Zumo 550 quit so I bought the latest one as of two years ago, 590 I think.The more I think about it,  I probably won't bother with GPS for the time being. Always got around fine as long as the signage was halfway decent

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:19 AM, actionjack said:

For communication Sena 20S pilot to passenger will be very good  

For GPS there are others that use Zumos  as long as you can load maps you should be good to go. You can pay Trakmaps or try the free Tilou et Biscuit maps. They are both reasonably accurate to keep you on track. 

Also do a lot of us load iMotoneige in our mind erasers. I have definitely used iMotoneige in the trail to make a trail fork decision as a backup to my GPS.  

I ordered a couple of HJC CL-MAX 2 helmets. I'm going to have my motorcycle guy install the Sena 20S's..

20S Install is a piece of cake.  Spend some time at home around the table with the directions to pair up.  They work awesome even for a short distance on the trail.  Group pairing with multiple other riders is cumbersome at first. You can have an open convo with another rider while on the trail just like you're sitting next to each other in the rig on the way to the parking area to unload.   Last year was not terribly cold so not the ultimate test but on one occasion I forgot to charge mine and was able to go 2 full days streaming music and communicating with the group on the charge from the day before.  Very impressed.

12 minutes ago, actionjack said:

20S Install is a piece of cake.  Spend some time at home around the table with the directions to pair up.  They work awesome even for a short distance on the trail.  Group pairing with multiple other riders is cumbersome at first. You can have an open convo with another rider while on the trail just like you're sitting next to each other in the rig on the way to the parking area to unload.   Last year was not terribly cold so not the ultimate test but on one occasion I forgot to charge mine and was able to go 2 full days streaming music and communicating with the group on the charge from the day before.  Very impressed.

Great, thanks very much!

The signage in my opinion is not as good as it used to be for whatever reason possibly because most people are using GPS. I use a Nuvi 550 but the Zumo is probably even better. I recommend Trakmaps they have worked well for me and you can either download the maps or they will send you a micro SD card which your unit should have a slot for

10 hours ago, Scranton1 said:

I was so impressed with Trakmaps.

have the 590 as well.

if u hit "Where to". It will take u to gas lodging etc by trail and tell u distance.

i was amazed!

IMG_0436.PNG

I just went on Trakmaps site. They don't list the 590 as compatible?

Do you have the slot for a micro SD card? It should be under the battery if so it should work but just call Trakmaps they are very helpful. Last year I left for Quebec without my card and I called them they went over and above by sending me the download version for free

21 minutes ago, viper2 said:

Do you have the slot for a micro SD card? It should be under the battery if so it should work but just call Trakmaps they are very helpful. Last year I left for Quebec without my card and I called them they went over and above by sending me the download version for free

Yes. I figured out the 590 is listed and I purchased it..

51 minutes ago, viper2 said:

Claudine and the folks at trak maps are the best...

Welcome back to the greatest sport on the planet!

On 12/29/2016 at 5:37 AM, Scranton1 said:

Yes

and

Yes

I received and installed the Zumo Cradle and RAM mount. I have ordered Trakmaps for Quebec. Is there a way to make use of my GPS in NH & Maine?