Back Into Snowmobiling

wng-2

20 minutes ago, mxsenior said:

You can purchase gps trailmasters snowmobile New England. Their GPS maps cover Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine and I believe new York also.

I just ordered Trailmasters New England. I certainly hope I can figure out how to use all this stuff.....

10 hours ago, viper2 said:

It's really user friendly

I certainly hope so! I get easily frustrated with type of stuff. Not having received either set of maps yet, I'm having a difficult time wrapping my mind around how the gps knows if you if you are on the road or trail? Is there an option on the gps unit to select which map program you want it to use?

Thanks

IMG_2746.JPG

Edited by wng-2

When using the trail Maps Trakmaps suggests you shut off road maps, and set to most detail, to shut maps off/on go to tools, map, map info, check what maps you want on or off. My Zumo is 10 years old but it is basically the same thing. The unit you have is very intuitive don't be afraid to sit down and push some buttons to learn it.

I transfer multiple maps to my gps from my pc using mapsource or basecamp. If you have multiple maps loaded on your gps, your gps should have a menu where you can see the list of maps with a checkbox next to them allowing you to select or deselect individual maps. In order for the map you want to use to operate properly you have to select it on your gps list of maps and deselect all other maps.

We run the Sena 20s communicator systems between my father and I who ride seperate sleds.  They work good for wide open areas for about maybe 1500ft if hill to hill.  In the woods they are max 1000ft on straight aways with no interference and with curves and trees the max range is about 500-800ft.  The battery works good in the cold as we tested last year in -10 deg F weather however we would take them off and warm them up when we stopped every few hours which made a big difference.  When you get disconnected they reconnect automatically or easy with the touch of the big button on the side.

We will not ever run without them... My father runs behind my 99% of the time so if he slows up, has an issue with sled or helmet, needs to warm up, needs to get gas or food, gets stuck, or wants to head back its immediately known rather than waiting till the next stop to talk or possibly looking back and not seeing him there..  Then you pull over to wait for him, then you turn around and try to backtrack to find him and not know what happened is a scary feeling.  The communicators reduce the need to turn around all the time to check on him.

We change them between full face and open face depending on the temps and it takes about two minutes to do.  

Between the communicators, ice scratchers and GPS yew will never leave any of these at home again after having them...

wng-2, since you said you are waiting for the maps I assume you are getting the micro SD cards and not the downloadable maps. They are very easy to use and plug and play, I don't even turn anything off. Not sure if you are riding into Quebec with the sleds but if you are driving your truck and using the same GPS you will see trails pop up along the road and at road crossings on your way up, the Trans Quebec will be Blue,Regional Green, Orange for local and there will be a little icon showing the trail number. I had the same concerns the first year I got mine but it really is just plug and play  

Edited by viper2

I loaded the trail masters this morning, it went onto the Micro SD card in the 590. I turned the unit on, and deselected the road maps, and was able to see trails, cool!

Apparently the Trackmaster needs to have it's SD card in the GPS unit? I can live with that, and just make the switch when I go to Quebec, however I would much prefer to have it all in one place....

3 hours ago, wng-2 said:

I loaded the trail masters this morning, it went onto the Micro SD card in the 590. I turned the unit on, and deselected the road maps, and was able to see trails, cool!

Apparently the Trackmaster needs to have it's SD card in the GPS unit? I can live with that, and just make the switch when I go to Quebec, however I would much prefer to have it all in one place....

yes if you have the SD card instead of the downloads the card will have to stay in

4 hours ago, SkippyDoo said:

"Just don't follow the sled trails in your truck lol. We saw it twice in Saguenay last week. The one was up by Passion. They made it pretty far up TC93 before they buried it. The other one was on 368 if I remember right"

Ha saw that twice up this way. One a delivery truck on a summer road and the second a pickup from Ont in the Papineau Labelle reserve. Both cases I guess their GPS's directed them to take the shortest route and both locations the roads used in summer are snowmobile trails in winter. Both times like you mention they got a long way before getting stuck.

Edited by Cnc

Welcome back Wng!

Not to start any brand spat, but you're gonna LOVE the Yammi, seeing that you put 200k on your 2-wheeler!

And it's a real confidence builder to have Trackmaps onboard, even it's just to confirm reconnecting after a mid-season re-route, or catching a mid-whiteout turn-off. The RAM mounts rock too. If you haven't yet, do consider a DC hardwired cradle if it's available for your unit.

It's easy on the cellphones, if there's signal, but it's never a bad idea to check the grooming reports before going out...

Go to:  http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/carte-motoneige/index.html  Click "Services" in the upper right corner.  Click “Delai de serfacage” (and whatever other "Attraits" you want to see).  Click "Fermer" to close the drop down box.  If you switch the view from Carte (map) to Satellite, it's easier to see the Whites (those haven’t been done 3+ days).  THEN HEAD FOR THE GREENS & YELLOWS!

Enjoy!

5 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Welcome back Wng!

Not to start any brand spat, but you're gonna LOVE the Yammi, seeing that you put 200k on your 2-wheeler!

And it's a real confidence builder to have Trackmaps onboard, even it's just to confirm reconnecting after a mid-season re-route, or catching a mid-whiteout turn-off. The RAM mounts rock too. If you haven't yet, do consider a DC hardwired cradle if it's available for your unit.

It's easy on the cellphones, if there's signal, but it's never a bad idea to check the grooming reports before going out...

Go to:  http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/carte-motoneige/index.html  Click "Services" in the upper right corner.  Click “Delai de serfacage” (and whatever other "Attraits" you want to see).  Click "Fermer" to close the drop down box.  If you switch the view from Carte (map) to Satellite, it's easier to see the Whites (those haven’t been done 3+ days).  THEN HEAD FOR THE GREENS & YELLOWS!

Enjoy!

Cool, thanks! I bought the specific cradle for my Zumo 590, and hard wired it. I will try and get the gps synced up with the new helmet headsets this weekend.

I've never done audio, chat or GPS, so you're way ahead on me!

And don't let any hot-doggers make fun of that GRANDE' windshield!  Just remember to dress in layers, so you can peel some and loan em to yer shivering buddies.