2017 Jack & Sandi's trip

revct1

Another summer has gone by and here we are at the Sagueneenne.  Vacation is good!

Sandi woke up at 3:30 AM to check the truck and sleds.  She likes to look outside a few times a night to make sure nothing is going on.  This time she yells to me "FIRE".  Oh no.  I jump out of bed and there are two tents to park the snowmobiles in.  The tent next to the one our sleds are in is on fire.  Black smoke billowing out from the rear corner.  I call the front desk and jump into my clothes.  I go to the front desk for the key to the tent our sleds are in.  The night manager is on the phone with the fire department.  He hands me the key.  As I come back thru our room, Sandi hands me the snowmobile keys and keys for the locks.

Our tent is not burning but the one next to it is flaming.  The smell of burning gasoline and plastic is in the air.  Inside our tent is lit up by the flames.  There is only about five feet between the tents.  I get the door open and our two sleds out safely.  The fire trucks roll in and the firemen get into the burning tent.  I look in and see what is left to one snowmobile in the back corner.  Just a pile of rubble on the ground.  Next to it are two more sleds fully engulfed in the fire.  It looks like there is one more sled and a ski-boose at the other end off the tent that are OK.  The firemen put out the fire.  The police are also here.

A big thanks to the firemen.  Very quick response.  If the fire spread to the second tent, there were ten sleds in it but those are not touched.  What a way to start the season.

We are going out for our first ride in  a few hours.  We will post back later.

Jack & Sandi

The fire trucks are gone.  A look inside the tent shows two sleds parked side by side completely burnt.  I can only tell that the sleds had two cylinder motors.  A pile of debris like you would see on the side of the trail when a sled burns.  Two other sleds in the other back corner also are burnt.  Both of these are two up sleds.  One of these I can see the Ski-Doo snow flap.  These are probably also totaled but can still be identified as snowmobiles.

At the door end of the tent there is one more snowmobile and ski-boose that are fine.

If there is any good news to this, no one was injured.  Sleds can always be replaced.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack and Sandi, Wow!!!! Well done sandi excellent job. Glad no one was hurt . Looking forward to reading your reports.
Stay safe and have a great time , see you in February.
Gary and Pat

Wow, with that kind of excitement at Hotel, the trails are bound to be just as amazing. 

Good to know that front desk is keeping a close eye on those Cameras pointed at the tent. Last year a tent collapse this year a fire. Hmmmm. I have used the tent. However i prefer not to. Usually i like to get one of those ground floor rooms with the sliding door and Lock them right there. This time of year the tents are usually empty, in season it's too crazy to deal with usually. 

32 minutes ago, Snobeeler said:

Thanks for the reports Jack, I find it interesting the fire started that late at night? IMHO, Arson.

Could be Mice with Matches.

11 minutes ago, MichiganRev said:

Hi Jack and Sandi,

Glad to hear all is well. Would have been terrible Jack to have had that new 850 burn up before you had the chance to ride it. Looking forward to your reports and reviews on the new sled. Have fun,

Dave

Only thing worse would have been if Sandy's sled burnt & the 850 survived....I know who would've been riding the 850 & who would be looking for a replacement...lol

2 hours ago, 182ray said:

Only thing worse would have been if Sandy's sled burnt & the 850 survived....I know who would've been riding the 850 & who would be looking for a replacement...lol

Hey  Ray that brings up a good question. 

Jack, what sled did you get out of the tent first, yours or Sandi's? Be honest now, cause we won't tell....lol

Dave

Edited by MichiganRev

Hi everyone.  Thanks for all the responses.

Mike - We hope to see you at RDL this year.  We will let you know when we are in the area.

Terry - Maybe we can hook up sometime this season.  Say hi to Molly.

Jay - I'm thinking it was electrical that was getting hot and maybe melted the fuel line and poof.

Good hearing from everybody else.  We will post what we ride the good, the bad and the ugly.

Jack & Sandi

Now for today's ride report.  

We leave the Sag and head east on 83.  The snow depth is a little thin in the corners but it is December.  A little bumpy but it had been groomed within the last couple of days.  We turn right onto 368.  Running along and a few miles in - oh boy.  That is a groomer approaching us.  Today may be good.  The fields by Evasion are nice.  We can see where it was drifted before the groomer made his pass.  Oops.  The groomer came from his house on the left just past Evasion.  A little rougher but still good..  

We stay on 368 all the way to the 23 junction.  Time for a quick break.  Oh look at that.  23 was groomed overnight.  We turn right on 23 and it is perfect.  A few sleds have already been on it but very nice.  Not much traffic.  We run all the way up to Presbytere for lunch.  Soup and a club sandwich and back on the trail.

We head back down 23 and turn left onto 83.  Not perfection but good.  At Relais Grenouille, we cut across the corner of Lac Kenogami heading towards Jonquiere.  We get off the Lac and it is not groomed.  Oh well.  Maybe the trail will be groomed where the local trail comes down from 383.  Wrong.  

We saw the good now we are seeing the ugly.  This hasn't been groomed at all.  Here are a few wet spots in the swampy areas.  That is why Mr Groomer hasn't made an appearance yet.  We are 10 miles into this and it is bad.  The local trails running back up to 383 aren't even broke yet.  We stay on 83.  It could always be worse.  It could be raining too.  We get to local trail 6 and it is finally groomed.  Salvation!

The ride into Jonquiere and back to Chicoutimi is much smoother.  We tank up and put the sleds away for the night.

Note to myself.  Remember that 83 is not groomed early in the season because of the swamps.

Time for a little food in the tummy.

Jack & Sandi

OK.  I meant to talk about the 850 but supper was calling.

Now this isn't to turn the thread into this sled vs that sled.  I try to keep my reports about the trail conditions.  This is for all those that are wondering how the Gen-4 850 is.  We have a Gen-4 850 Renegade X.  It replaced my 800 E-tec Renegade Adrenaline.  Yes Dave the 850 was the first sled out of the tent during the fire.  It just happened to be closer to the door than Sandi's sled.  

With only one day on the 850, I can say if you liked your 800 E-tec, you won't be disappointed with the 850.  In my humble opinion, the Gen-4 handles and rides better than the 800.  The suspension feels more balanced from front to rear.  It is peppier and does pull very smooth.  I won't say anymore because I just don't have many miles on it.

Until tomorrow's ride, good night.

Jack & Sandi