2017 Jack & Sandi's trip

revct1

1 hour ago, 182ray said:

Quick how do I delete posts...oh I know I'll say the Putin hacked my computer & made those outrageous "lady miles" comments...hahaha

Or that you used Hillary's secure server.

Sandi really likes the Zumo.  To your credit, she wanted the Zumo to be mounted the same way that you have yours on your sled.  That made me buy the glove box extension, the wiring harness, etc.  But she's happy.

Jack

21 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Sandi really likes the Zumo.  To your credit, she wanted the Zumo to be mounted the same way that you have yours on your sled.  That made me buy the glove box extension, the wiring harness, etc.  But she's happy.

Jack

So you're saying I cost you $$$...lol

we drove through the parking lot of the saguenee but didn't see any sleds

we did see evasion sport driving away with a two up sled in the back of the truck 

Let me start off by saying the conditions and riding this year are exceptional.  The clubs are doing a great job of grooming.  Anybody down in the States that has been putting off coming to Quebec for whatever reason, don't put it off any longer.  You won't be disappointed!  Now today's ride report.

This morning it is -20C.  Perfect for the trails to setup.  The groomer map shows a lot was done overnight.  We need to be back at the hotel by 4:00 PM for the rental sled pickup for Jason.  We head to Mt Apica to begin the day.  83 was groomed last night and we turn onto 368 and this was just groomed too.  I don't see any tracks in front of Sandi.  The sleds love this hard packed trail with a little fluff.  Wow this is going to be a good day.  I'm last, third, and Jason's and Sandi's sleds are kicking up the snow dust going thru the fields.  The sun is shinning thru the dust.  Just like a picture you would see with the sleds running along with the trails of dust in the still air behind them.  Beautiful.  368 is perfect all the way to the junction with 23.  I know Sandi liked that.  Fifty miles and she didn't stop once since we left the hotel.

At the intersection, there are a couple sleds here at the warming hut.  While we are taking a short stretch, we hear a few sleds coming down 23 from the north.  You can tell by the sound of the motors they are enjoying the ride too.  Looking at 23, it was groomed overnight just like 368.  One sled pulls in.  A second sled pulls in and the third sled.  The three of them take off heading south.  They are on a mission.

We take off also heading south on 23.  Destination, the lookout at Mt Apica.  The sky is clear and the trails are fast.  It is a quick run down 23.  We ride up to the lookout.  Two other sleds here but they take off just after we pull in.  Looking down at the valley it is a little hazy.  We are almost above the clouds here.  You can pick out the road and the relais down below.  It is a little nippy up here with the wind.  Time to go down to the relais and warm up.

At the relais, a few sleds but its still early.  We each have a hot chocolate and sit back for a quick break.  A couple of long tracks unload and head south playing along the side of the trail as they leave.  We decide to head north on 23 to Presbytere for lunch.

Sandi is leading as usual.  She is liking this trail too.  No break until we get to Presbytere for sure.  A few sleds heading south, cooking right along.  Everybody is behaving and staying on their side of the trail.  That's good.  We pull into Presbytere and there are a couple of sleds.

Down the stairs we go and get our gear off.  We order lunch and sit back.  A quick calculation and we should get gas before heading back to the hotel.  Lunch was fine as always.  After lunch we run up 23 to Hebertville and top the sleds off.  We u-turn and go back down 23 and turn left onto 83.  This was groomed last night too but has had a little traffic on it.  Still, it is fine.  Everything is fine and we are a little ahead of schedule as we get near the Delta.  We decide to pull in and see if anyone is in.  The lobby is empty but Bill comes walking in from the sled corral.  Good to see you Bill.  We chat for a bit and then have to takeoff to meet our 4:00 PM pickup appointment.  We get back to the hotel with ten minutes to spare.

Fantastic day of riding.  Like I said at the top of the post, the trails are spectacular.  Tomorrow we head back to St Raymond to the truck.  See you then.

Jack & Sandi

9 minutes ago, 182ray said:

So you're saying I cost you $$$...lol

we drove through the parking lot of the saguenee but didn't see any sleds

we did see evasion sport driving away with a two up sled in the back of the truck 

Ray, you must have just missed us.  We were still at the gas station while Jason brought the sled back to the hotel.  We will catch you later.

Jack & Sandi

5 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Jack,   Been enjoying reading your trip reports.What did the kids rent for sleds and how did they like them?

mike

Hi Mike.  They got an Arctic Cat Pantera from Evasion.  Its a two up sled.  Yushen is passenger.  It ran along pretty good keeping up with Sandi.  Jason was great.  He doesn't put on the miles that we do and he's riding double.  No slack in his ability.

Jack & Sandi

Last night Neksldr, Terry and his wife Molly, arrived at the Sag to meet us.  The six of us had a great meal and made our plans for today.  Jason and Yushen are heading home in their SUV leaving from Chicoutimi.  Sandi and I along with Terry and Molly are snowmobiling to the Roquemont in St Raymond back to the trucks.

So last night it snowed a few inches and it is still coming down.  The forecast shows more snow here in the Saguenay than down in Quebec City.  We take off from the Sag and head down 83 and turn right on 368.  A lot of fluff.  Its very hard to pick out the trail especially in the open fields.  The snow is blowing pretty good and even the next pair of red sticks are hard to find.  We go along at a slow pace picking our way along 368.  Once we get into the woods, it is much better.  A lot easier following the trail.  About 25 miles in, the snow has let up and there is only an inch on the ground.  Now we can get up to cruising speed.  368 is still very nice from the last grooming.  We get to 23 and take our normal stretch.  Two sleds are leaving as we pull in.  They head south on 23.  Nice, someone is going ahead of us.

We head down 23.  Same as 368, still nice from the last grooming.  Lightly snowing and not much wind.  We leave a little distance between sleds to stay out of the trail dust.  We pull into Mt Apica and a large group of sleds are just leaving heading north.  Only one other sledder in Mt Apica.  We go in and have an early lunch.  The snow has let up.  Only very light now.

I'll continue in the post in the Quebec region.

Jack & Sandi

• 4 weeks later...

We are back up in the north country.  We drove up Wednesday right to the Delta.  The snow cover is amazing.  The truck corral has a snow bank around it that has to be 10' - 12' high from the snow buckets.   Bill said it was really windy Wednesday and the trails were drifted in.  Thursday morning the groomer map shows the big guys were out in force overnight.

Thursday morning we leave the Delta with Michigan Rev.  We are heading to Auberge Eva at the top of Lac Bouchette for lunch.  Trail 83 is groomed.  We run out to the end of Lac Kenogami and 83 isn't groomed.  So we take 383 up and around to 23 and then head south thru Hebertville Station to get back to 83.  Ah ha! 83 is groomed again heading west.

We stay on 83 thru Desbiens and Chambord and then take 355 south to Auberge Eva.  Everything was groomed except 355.  That had fluff on it but not bumpy.  We have a nice lunch and gas up across the Lac at the Sconic.  We spin around run back across Lac Bouchette and wow, the groomer made a pass while we were eating.  We catch up to the groomer half way back to 83.  We pass politely and give a big wave to the operator.

We decide to take the local trails thru St Francois and St Andre and then pick up 83 again.  These were mostly groomed.  Only a short section in the middle that isn't.  We run 83 a few miles east and then take the local trail north to 23.  We run the rest of the way back to the Delta the way we came out in the morning.

Another great day on the trails in Quebec.

If you are planning on coming up, make sure you call for reservations because the place is packed.  We got back to the Delta at 4:00 PM and the snowmobile pen is almost full and the sleds are still pulling in.

Jack & Sandi

It is good seeing everybody up here.  Quite a few QR folks.

This morning is another chilly morning, -10F.  We are heading to the truck stop at Milot today.  We leave the Delta and cross the two bridges.  367 has been groomed.  We cruise along thru St Ambroise and stay on 367 thru the woods to Mont Vilain.  Very nice ride.  Time for a quick warm up stop.  The snow piles around the parking lot are getting taller.

IMG_0581.thumb.JPG.8128a9150918b74be9ac502ed01b749b.JPG

After lunch, we cross the river and take the beautiful local trail to Milot.  This was groomed last night and only one sled track on it.  Way to go Sandi.

Only a couple of sleds and quite a few workers.  A good lunch as always here.  We get back on the sleds and continue on to St Agustine and down to St Monique.  We stop at the intersection with 367 and take a look.  Yes 367 was groomed.  Here we go.  This is one of the really fun trails.  Relatively straight and flat.  Nice to pick up a little speed.

We turn right on 328 and head into L'Ascension for a gas stop.  We top off the sleds and continue down to 93.  All still well groomed.  At 93 we turn left and go to St Amboise and then take 367 back to the two dams and home to the Delta.

Another wonderful blue sky day here in snow land.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1

Saturday morning and it is cold again.  The skies are overcast but it is forecast to clear later today.  A lot of grooming activity overnight.  Lets see, we want to stay off of Mont Valin on the weekend.  Lets do a loop thru Alma.

Sandi, myself, Farmer Old and Michigan Rev take off from the Delta all bundled up.  We head down 383 and cross the barrage to get to 368.  Trail 368 wasn't groomed last night but it doesn't get whooped up because it is wide, fast and very few stops.  Just a nice steady pace to 23.  At the 23 intersection, we noticed this was groomed last night.  A few tracks on it southbound but not many tracks northbound.  I mention to Sandi it is Saturday morning, we will get traffic coming down from the Hebertville area.  We take off heading north and in just a couple of miles here is a group of six beating feet heading south.  There is plenty of room.  Not too much further and two more sleds.  The first one is positioned fine but the second one is crowding our side of the trail.  What is up with that?  The trail must be 25' wide here.  I don't understand.

We continue up 23.   I see the new trail that runs over to St Andre but 23 is just perfect.  We will stay on 23.  The sky has cleared now and it is that bright blue Canadian sky.  So pretty.

We run up past the Presbytere, a little too early for lunch.  We go to Ski Bee Doo instead and there only a couple of sleds here.  This will be lunch.  You know I like to beat the lunch crowd.

We go in, get a table and place our order.  Four sleds pull in and then five or six more.  The sleds just keep coming in.  By the time we get lunch,  the place was three quarters full.  This is another stop we like.  The workers and food are great.

After lunch  we continue up 23.  We decide not to go up 23 into Alma and take the local 563 and 562 around the east side to get to the bridge.  These yellow trails are nice.  Groomed and no traffic.

We cross the river on the bridge and stay straight on local 555.  Another one of those little used local trails and it was groomed last night.  We buzz up to Lac Labrecque and loop around the north side of the lac to get to Relais des Lacs.  Once again these yellow trails 552 and 553 are groomed, no traffic and are just plain old fun.

A quick stop at the Relais des Lacs and we take 328 thru Begin, a little soft here from all the drifting the other night and a right on 367 and a left onto 93.  These are fine!  After that we drop down on 134 to cross the two bridges and back at the Delta.

Back to the hotel safe and sound.  After a beautiful day of riding it is time for a few refreshments!

Jack & Sandi 

Really appreciate all your detailed ride descriptions I just arrived at the delta this afternoon with my father for 5 days and plan on using some of your routes. If you have any advice or must see trials/places I'd love to know. Again thanks for the ride reports and safe riding! 

Hi Padragon.  Bill, Ray, myself and whoever else that is up here usually hit breakfast when the restaurant opens.  You are welcome to see anyone of us or catch us in the lobby after the day's ride.

See you soon.

Jack & Sandi

Sunday morning and where to go?  We haven't done a Tour du Lac recently.  A check of the groomer map and it gives us a green light.

The four of us take off from the Delta and get on 83 and go around the south side of the Lac.  We didn't cross the Lac at Chambord because our lunch stop at Relais du Buttes has a Sunday morning brunch and we are aiming for lunch not brunch.  So we ran 83 to add a few miles on.  From Chambord to Roberval we ran into some traffic but hey, its Sunday morning and the trails are great.  373 to the Relais is so nice.  Some nice long stretches thru here.

We arrived at the Relais at 12:30, perfect.  The brunch is gone and we can order the menu du jour.  A few sleds coming in for food while we are here.

After lunch we stay on 373 and take the local trail to cross the river.  One of the local trails thru St Methode wasn't groomed last night but really, only one short section and that wasn't bad.  93 to 367 thru  Peribonka and back on 93.  The wind is really picking up now.  Out in the fields, the wind is pushing on our helmets and we can hear it howling.  We go thru St Ambroise and get back on 367 to cross the two bridges.  The groomer was out today between the bridges and on 383.  It is nice to get on a smooth trail just before the hotel on a Sunday afternoon.  This piece is usually pretty beat up by now and it's nice.

A great ride and no problems.  We like that.

Jack & Sandi

This morning the groomer map doesn't show a lot was done last night.  The groomers must have taken a break after the weekend.  Lets try 83 the Clermont Express.

The sun is starting to peek thru the clouds and we head out on 83.  This is nice as usual.  We top off the tanks in La Baie.  It is a long ride with no gas stops in between.  Always good insurance to top off.

After we leave La Baie and head south on 83, we notice that second local trail that cuts back to 383 has been groomed.  83 is good but fresh groomed is better.  Not a track on it.  A little narrow but so much fun.  At 383 we turn left and this is perfect too.  We are the first tracks.  We fly down to the end where 383 joins  back up with 83.  Time for a quick break.  Here is a blue jay with a bad leg.  He flies over and sits on one of our windshields.  Sorry Mr. BlueJay, we don't have anything to feed to you.

Back on the sleds and down 83 south.  A few snow flurries falling now and the sky is looking dark south of us.  We press on.  After about twenty miles, we are at the gate to the park and the trail worsens.  The groomer had turned around a couple of miles back.  The snow is coming down harder and there is a good six inches on the trail.  A few sleds have passed us heading north but we are the first ones to venture south bound.  Another ten miles and the fresh snow is now a good foot deep.  Keep on rolling.  About five miles from the junction with trail 3, the snow is letting up and the trail is a little better.  Jump on 3 and this was groomed.  We take the local into Clermont and tank up the sleds.  The last half of the run was a little tough.  Not what we've been riding on for the past few days.  We have been spoiled.

Lunch at the restaurant.  The menu du jour is always a good deal.  A half a dozen sleds pull in.  Looks like a tour group.  We are ready to roll so off we go.  Not looking forward to the start of this but it is what it is.  We have been very fortunate so far this trip with great trails.

A foot of snow, a lot of whoop de doos and more trail chatter.  Suck it up and lets get past this.  Twenty five miles of bad.  We stop at the entrance gate to the park.  Twenty miles to go to get back on 383 but this next twenty is a whole lot better than what is behind us.  The miles start clicking off and before we know it we are at 383.  Dave brought a few crackers from the restaurant for the blue jay.  He is here flying around looking for food.  Mr BlueJay will come over and stand on our hand and take the crackers right out of our fingers.  Pretty neat.  No we didn't have a camera or smart phone with us today.  I wish we did.

The bird kitchen is closed and we are on our way.  Next stop is Relais Bouleauniere.  383 is very, very good.  Only a few tracks on it now since it was last groomed.  No traffic and a great ride.  We pull into Bouleauniere and it is closed.  I guess no break this afternoon.  Back on the sleds and up 383, run across the barrage and we are back at the Delta.

Yes we hit twenty five miles of crap but that is how it goes sometimes.  Most of the ride was really fine and a good lunch to boot.

A couple of more days for this trip.  Where to go tomorrow?

Jack & Sandi

Hi Terry.  The trip is turning out great.  What a season.

This morning we have a change in cast.  Farmer Old and Michigan Rev have bid their farewells and are off on the black highway.  Have a safe trip guys.  Sandi and I are looking for volunteers to ride with.  Not everyone wants to ride "lady miles" but we find John and Ethan from CT that are willing to go with us.  They asked me to say hi to Sig who couldn't make it this trip.  We miss you Sig.

So with the new team we head off.  It looks good to the north.  383 to the two bridges and 134 it is.  About half way up 134, the groomer came out of the cul de sac on the left.  Good show.  At the junction with 93, the groomer stayed straight continuing on 134.  Guess which way we are going.  This part of 134 can be really nasty when it is drifted in but right after the groomer it is paradise.  It is relatively flat, nice turns and long straights.  Time to book.   Quick work of the 134 and we turn right on 328.  At 476 we stop and look.  328 isn't fresh groomed and either is 476 but 476 looks better and we are off to Onatchiway.  The lower part of this is twisty to say the least but Sandi loves it.  Sometimes I think she had power steering installed when I wasn't looking.  She is gone.  About eight miles into the 476 and it eases up and straightens out some.  The trail is in good shape.  Traffic has been on it but that gives the trail some texture for the carbides to grip.

We pull into Onatchiway for a short break.  Too early for lunch.  Mont Vilain would be a good choice for lunch.  Lets check out trail 484.

We get on the sleds and go to the edge of Onatchiway's parking lot and yes, it was groomed last night.  This will be good.  The four of us are off and running.  484 doesn't get used much and it is one of those really fun trails.  Not a high speed rail bed but you can get up a good pace and just lean back and forth thru the turns.  Before you know it we are dropping down onto the river and heading down the last stretch to Mont Vilain.

Wow.  For a Tuesday this place is has a lot of sledders.  It is just after noon and there are a lot of wide track utility type sleds here.  The locals that have their camps in the surrounding area are all here for lunch.  Another nice place for lunch.  We didn't beat the noon rush today so it takes a little longer for lunch.

After lunch we get back on Lac Tchitogama and head west to pick up trail 367.  This is more fun than running 367 thru the woods.

IMG_0594.thumb.JPG.785a8bd768dfd83244d765fa864406fc.JPG

We get off the water and on 367.  Another fun trail with its gentle curves and rollers.  Off we go.  We work our way down to 328 and stop at the Sonerco in L'Ascension for gas.  We continue down 328 to 93 and on into Alma.  We are early and the trails are great so lets take a little detour and cross the river in Alma on 23.  We then get on local 563 which is great and then 562 and this isn't so great.  This has been drifted in overnight and is choppy.  OK we can put up with 8 miles of some bad stuff and we are on 383 and this is good again.  At Lac Kenogami we pick up 83 and scoot back to the Delta.  83 is fine other than the 500 meters that isn't getting groomed.  I haven't heard why but it must be a land use issue.  Back in the corral safe and sound.

One more day for this trip.  This is so much better than work.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack & Sandi!

Glad ya'll are having a great time! John & Ethan really are enjoying this trip with all the gang up there at one point or another. They had a great time riding with you. So sorry that Sig didn't make it up there. It sounds like this was just about as good as it gets for sledding. Nice photo, too. Hope today is just as good if not better than yesterday! I'm sure I'll hear all about it!

Stay safe & have fun!

Kathi

Hi Jack and Sandi , sorry  we missed  you at breakfast  this morning  we didn't  get to say our goodbyes . 

As always it was great to see you  both and  catch  up with what's going on. Have a safe trip home,  pat said  to tell you we have beer tickets for tonight and tomorrow night  but no rib tickets. . Lol

All the best, till next time 

Gary and  Pat.

6 hours ago, John said:

Hi Jack & Sandi!

Glad ya'll are having a great time! John & Ethan really are enjoying this trip with all the gang up there at one point or another. They had a great time riding with you. So sorry that Sig didn't make it up there. It sounds like this was just about as good as it gets for sledding. Nice photo, too. Hope today is just as good if not better than yesterday! I'm sure I'll hear all about it!

Stay safe & have fun!

Kathi

Hi Kathi.  Sandi is leading as always.  She is keeping the guys in line.  This has been one of the best seasons in a long time for snow, temperatures and grooming.  It has been great!  Good hearing from you.

Jack & Sandi

1 hour ago, SnomoGary said:

Hi Jack and Sandi , sorry  we missed  you at breakfast  this morning  we didn't  get to say our goodbyes . 

As always it was great to see you  both and  catch  up with what's going on. Have a safe trip home,  pat said  to tell you we have beer tickets for tonight and tomorrow night  but no rib tickets. . Lol

All the best, till next time 

Gary and  Pat.

Hi guys.  Yes we missed each other.  Have a safe trip and we will be in touch.

Jack & Sandi