2017 Jack & Sandi's trip

revct1

Thanks for the report!  Holy crap, that mid-night adrenaline is a heck of a way to kick it off.  Super glad it turned out all good for you!  We've been in that tent a bunch.  One just hopes we can hop to it the way you did!  Teamwork makes the dream work!

:good:

Hi JG.  If those were the two sleds that started the fire, the insurance company is going to look at a pile of ashes with a motor and exhaust pipe in the middle.  Everything else on those two sleds is disintegrated.  The other two sleds were burnt by still recognizable as sleds.  I think the flaming gas ran under them and they started burning but the fireman were there quick enough to put those out.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Playhard.  Sandi is the one that sleeps lightly and checks on the equipment a few times each night.  When she yelled FIRE at 3 AM, the first response is what are you dreaming about and then I saw the flames!  Oh crap, there is a fire!

Jack & Sandi

19 hours ago, revct1 said:

Hi Playhard.  Sandi is the one that sleeps lightly and checks on the equipment a few times each night.  When she yelled FIRE at 3 AM, the first response is what are you dreaming about and then I saw the flames!  Oh crap, there is a fire!

Jack & Sandi

Nice. Turns out sleeping with one eye open has definite benefits!

Exit: light
Enter: night
Take my hand
We're off to never never land

Hush little baby, don't say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It's just the beasts under your tent
Better call Geiko, see if they rent!

Say your prayers, little one
Don't forget, my son
To include everyone

Tuck you in, warm within
Keep you free from sin
Till the Sandman he comes

Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your pillow tight

Take my hand

Something's wrong, shut the light
Heavy thoughts tonight
And they aren't of Snow White

Dreams of war, dreams of liars
Dreams of dragon's fire
And of things that will bite

Sleep with one eye open
Gripping your pillow tight

Take my hand

Now I lay me down to sleep
Pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
Pray the Lord my soul to take

Hush little baby, don't say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It's just the beasts under your bed
In your closet, in your head

Grain of sand

Take my hand

This is a continuation of trip two from St Raymond.

We start up 23 and wow!  The groomer did just come down here.  The trail has had a little time to set up and it is smooooth with a dusting.  This is beautiful.  Now I have to pay attention otherwise Sandi is gone.  I like to look around a little but if I don't watch Sandi, she will be out of sight.  On a trail like this, sometimes she gets on a mission and goes.

This is snowmobiling at its best.  Nice temperature, clear sky, fresh groomed trail, no traffic.  What could be better?  We get to the intersection with 368 and turn right.  Oh this is even better.  Such a nice trail with the gentle curves and rolling terrain.  Keep on riding.  This trail keeps getting better and better.  As we get close to the RJL station, the groomer tracks are getting fresher.  No snowmobile tracks ahead of us now.  Yep.  There is the grooomer.  He is making a left towards the RJL.  We stay on 368.  Not quite as nice but we are happy with what we had.  This really isn't bad.  The groomer had probably come out this way this morning.  A little drifting here and there but pretty smooth.

We hit 83 turn left and run the last few miles to Chicoutimi.  What a nice day.  The ride just kept getting better and better.  We have three days of riding ahead of us.  Lets hope they turn out as good.

Jack & Sandi

Jack & Sandi, sounds like you had a near perfect run up, great to hear! Still hoping to head up to Clermont and then north, but will see if any positive reports come in. If not, maybe we'll follow your bread crumbs! Hope you have great riding for the next couple of days, we'll see you for dinner on Sunday!       Terry

A side bar for those who have an 850.

On our Christmas trip, the 850 seemed like it was getting decent gas mileage.  I know we don't buy these for mileage but I'm always curious how far will a tank bring me.  This year I purchased the BRP 15 liter aux Lynk tank.  So today I decided to ride until I ran out of gas.  The St Raymond to Chicoutimi is a good test area.  

This morning we topped off both sleds.  At Mt Apica with 118 miles so far, we put $30 (23 liters) in Sandi's 1200.  Nothing in mine.  I've got three bars on the gauge, 60 miles to the Sag in Chicoutimi and 15 liters for back up.

At 147 miles, the low gas light comes on.  OK, lets see how many miles the warning light gives me.  157 miles and still running.  167 still going.  We hit the intersection with 83 and there is now 170 miles on the tank.  8 clicks or 5 miles to Chicoutimi and the gas station.  Will the 850 make it.  I will admit I'm now a little light on the throttle.  I can see the Ultramar.  I pull in with 175 miles on the odometer.  Wow!  It made it.

I start pumping.  The liters are spinning away.  20 liters, 25, 30 pump pump click.  I squeeze in the last little bit to top it off.  35 liters at the pump.  There it is.  I never thought it would make it.

We weren't screaming by any means today but it was a typical day on Quebec trails.  Sleds and riding vary from day to day but this I feel is a decent benchmark.

Jack & Sandi

1 hour ago, revct1 said:

On our Christmas trip, the 850 seemed like it was getting decent gas mileage.  I know we don't buy these for mileage but I'm always curious how far will a tank bring me.  This year I purchased the BRP 15 liter aux Lynk tank.  So today I decided to ride until I ran out of gas.  The St Raymond to Chicoutimi is a good test area.  

This morning we topped off both sleds.  At Mt Apica with 118 miles so far, we put $30 (23 liters) in Sandi's 1200.  Nothing in mine.  I've got three bars on the gauge, 60 miles to the Sag in Chicoutimi and 15 liters for back up.

At 147 miles, the low gas light comes on.  OK, lets see how many miles the warning light gives me.  157 miles and still running.  167 still going.  We hit the intersection with 83 and there is now 170 miles on the tank.  8 clicks or 5 miles to Chicoutimi and the gas station.  Will the 850 make it.  I will admit I'm now a little light on the throttle.  I can see the Ultramar.  I pull in with 175 miles on the odometer.  Wow!  It made it.

I start pumping.  The liters are spinning away.  20 liters, 25, 30 pump pump click.  I squeeze in the last little bit to top it off.  35 liters at the pump.  There it is.  I never thought it would make it.

We weren't screaming by any means today but it was a typical day on Quebec trails.  Sleds and riding vary from day to day but this I feel is a decent benchmark.

Jack & Sandi

Good news on the range and glad u like the sled. Is this aux fuel tank in the BRP catalogue? 

1 hour ago, revct1 said:

Jack & Sandi

I myself was wondering this like " how many licks does it take to get to the centre of a tootsie pop!" I thought I was going to try the same thing but had not filled my can so the day I got to one bar I chicken out left the group and filled both tanks. The bright side of this was the yamacat turbo ran out five miles from our destination and I got pictures of having to fill him up! How many litres is our tank ? 36 right

23 minutes ago, im4snow said:

Good news on the range and glad u like the sled. Is this aux fuel tank in the BRP catalogue? 

Hi John.  The old BRP tank was 11 liters.  BRP came out with this 15 liter tank this year.  I've been thinking about one for a few years.  The added 4 liters convinced me.  It mounts into the Lynk system like any of the other BRP accessories.

Jack & Sandi

3 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Hi John.  The old BRP tank was 11 liters.  BRP came out with this 15 liter tank this year.  I've been thinking about one for a few years.  The added 4 liters convinced me.  It mounts into the Lynk system like any of the other BRP accessories.

Jack & Sandi

Thx Jack......I read it as if it were plumbed in to your primary tank. I used to have a set up like that on an '88 Eltigre.....and thought maybe Doo had something similar. Happy trails and thx for the trail reports. 

21 minutes ago, snowfarmer said:

I myself was wondering this like " how many licks does it take to get to the centre of a tootsie pop!" I thought I was going to try the same thing but had not filled my can so the day I got to one bar I chicken out left the group and filled both tanks. The bright side of this was the yamacat turbo ran out five miles from our destination and I got pictures of having to fill him up! How many litres is our tank ? 36 right

Hi David.  As far as I know it is rated as 36 liters.  There wasn't much left.

Jack & Sandi

13 hours ago, revct1 said:

Hi David.  As far as I know it is rated as 36 liters.  There wasn't much left.

Jack & Sandi

You are correct Jack - 36L / 9.5g. SkiDoo says "up to 19mpg" for this engine so you confirmed it. Any of us riding for more than 10y have to find this amazing!

23 hours ago, revct1 said:

Jack & Sandi

I just have to ask Jack but where those "lady miles per gallon"? Please don't tell Sandy I asked that question 😂 

A little late tonight so I'll post our ride and and make some comments later.

Its a beautiful morning.  We have to wait for the rental sled to be delivered for Jason and Yushen (Sandi's son and wife).  We normally like to leave at 8:00 AM but today is going to be more like 9:00 AM.  We are still ready to ride.

The groomer map shows a lot of trails were groomed last night.  We decide to head to the north side of the Lac.  We take off and ride across the two bridges and take 367 to 93.  The trails are near perfection.  93 is so good, we stay on that instead of cutting up to 328.  Just cruising along to St Henri.  Jason has the rental and we are not sure how far it will go, not 175 miles for sure, so we fill up at the gas station at the top of the hill, Petro T I think.

Sandi crosses the street and the trail is no longer groomed.  What's with this.  There are sled marks but no groomer.  We run along the side of the road where the trail 93 was last year but there is no cross over for the road.  We look back and forth but no road crossing and no trail on the other side of the road where it always has been.  Well, lets go back to the gas station.  Ah ha.  There is the trail going behind the gas station.  Maybe someone has posted this and I didn't see the post.  For all the other blind people like me, after you gas here, go behind the gas station and follow the new trail for a few miles.  It will join up with the old trail 93.

We're OK now.  We go thru St Monique and get on the power lines.  Wow this is fast.  Thank you groomers!  At the end of the power lines we turn left toward Relais Vauvert.  This is always a nice lunch stop.  The trail thru Peribonka is superb. We pull into the Relais and it is packed.  We have seen a few sleds on the trail but everyone is at lunch and they are all here.  Still a few tables.  It is a beautiful view over Lac St Jean.  I know, it looks like a big field with snow.  It is still nice.

After lunch we continue on 367 for a short distance and then take the local trail to St Jeanne d"Arc.  This has been groomed but has drifted in some.  We turn right on 93.  Back to perfection.  Chasing Sandi all the way to St Augustin and back thru St Monique.  We turn left onto 367.  Boy, this is some good riding.  We drop down on 328 to go to Labreque but Sandi misses the left turn onto 328.  No stopping her now.  Sandi finally pulls into the gas station in L'Ascension and asks me "This isn't the way you wanted to go?"  No but that's OK.  As long as we are riding, I don't care what way you take us back.

Top off the tanks once again and we stay on 328 to 93.  We turn left and follow this back to St Ambroise.  We cross the two bridges and get back to the hotel.

Its a little later than usual so we go eat before I post.

What a nice day of riding.  It started snowing lightly this afternoon.  The forecast is for a few centimeters.  A little dust on the perfect trails.  The grooming and the cold temps have made the trails ideal.

A  couple more days of riding for this trip.  See you tomorrow.

Jack & Sandi

10 hours ago, vt_bluyamaha54 said:

You are correct Jack - 36L / 9.5g. SkiDoo says "up to 19mpg" for this engine so you confirmed it. Any of us riding for more than 10y have to find this amazing!

That could be US gallons which would mean about 20-21 miles per Canadian gallon.  The cherry on top of the sundae!

Jack & Sandi

1 hour ago, 182ray said:

I just have to ask Jack but where those "lady miles per gallon"? Please don't tell Sandy I asked that question 😂 

Hi Ray.  We weren't running WOT but I don't know if I could say "lady miles".  I might get shot by one lady.

Jack