2017 Jack & Sandi's trip

revct1

14 hours ago, im4snow said:

Wow.......Sandi may have saved the sled insurance companies at least $100k (10+ sleds not burned up). You should be comped rooms for the season!!! 

The Hotel Ins. would not have paid for anyones sleds. If that were the case those tents would not be there. Your correct that Sandi did a bunch of Ins. companies and riders a great service.

Today the groomer website shows 367 as being fresh groomed so we head toward the two bridges at Shipshaw.  We will try Mont Valin.

367 is groomed.  We cross the two bridges and turn right on 134.  The snowmobile trail isn't even broke but the quad trail is perfect.  We make a mistake (oops) and run the quad trail a few miles to the water tower.  Ah ha!  The groomer turned around here.  The snowmobile trail is terrific.  We run up to 93 and turn right toward St Honore.  This stretch is so nice, straight and fast.  Time to get the 850 to stretch its legs a little.  Not fully broken in yet but it feels good.  We stay on 93 to Valinouet.  A little choppy in some of the corners but pretty good overall.  Here we top off the tanks and continue on 93 to La Chappelle.  Around Valinouet it is typical, a little rough from the extra traffic on the hill.

At La Chappelle, we have a couple of cheesburgers all dressed and take a break watching the crazy off trail videos that are always playing the TV screen.  The snowflakes are starting to fall.  We decide to head back down the same we came up, 93.  A good ride back.  A few snow squalls on the top of the mountain with some pretty good wind.  Most of the trail is good with a few choppy areas around Valinouet.  As we get back down on the flat land, the snow lets up and we cruise back to the hotel.

Snow predictions for tomorrow are all over from 10 cm to 50 cm.  The weather forecasters here are like in the States, they don't seem to be able  to agree.  Time will tell.

Have a good night everyone.

Jack & Sandi

Hi David.  Not many miles on the 850 yet but it does feel good.  Sandi and I keep a sled for three years and then trade it in.  This year was my turn.  I've stayed with two strokes but toward the end of last season, I was giving it serious thought to go four stroke 1200.  Sandi has had three 1200s and they have been great.  We swap back and forth and I could go either way.  The no oil and longevity had me leaning to the 1200 but then BRP came out with the 850.  

Oh crap, BRP had to do that.  Now I've got to try at least one 850.  So here it is and the Gen-4 chassis with the 850 is quite the set up.  Sandi rode the 850 a little yesterday and she favors her 1200.  I favor the 850.  Maybe that is why there are so many choices when it comes to sleds and other toys.

I would think anybody that likes the 800 e-tec will like the 850.  I look at it as 800's big brother.

Jack & Sandi

Just a short note today.  With the questionable weather coming in this morning, we opted to stay in today and kick our feet up.  It was a long summer and it is time to take a day off.

The storm didn't bring the big dump as forecast.  We did get a few inches of snow and quite a bit of wind.  Hopefully the groomers will go out tonight and knock down some of the drifts that are sure to be out there.

Jack & Sandi

This morning the wind has died down and the sky is beginning to clear.  It looks like a great day for riding.

We leave the Sag and take 367 to cross the two bridges.  We stay to the right on 134.  Today it has been broke and not too bad.  We are on our way to Mount Vilain so at 93 we turn left.  Ah, this was just groomed last night.  The sleds are warmed up and we are off.  Just before St Ambroise we turn right on 367 and it is still groomed.  This is Quebec grooming at its best.  All the way to Mount Vilain it is perfect.

A couple of sleds in the lot but its early.  We go in and have soup and coffee.  The workers here are as friendly as ever.  Looking out to the Canadian blue sky and the sleds parked in the lot, this is vacation!  The snow piles around the lot are already 5'-6' high.

We get back on our sleds and continue west on 367.  This part of 367 has had a little more traffic but is still wonderful.  Some light puffy snow has blown in over the groomed trail to make the ride so smooth.  I fall back a little from Sandi to stay out of the dust she's kicking up.  We jump on 328 and go to L'Ascension to top off the tanks.  We get back on 328 and run to Alma.  Many times this early in the season, this area can be thin but there is plenty of snow cover today.  We turn left on 93 starting to make our way back toward the hotel.  A little choppy around Alma.  After we cross over the 23 intersection, 93 smooths right out again.  This part of 93 is so much fun when it is smooth.  It has gently turns and a few rollers here and there.  Such a nice ride.

At Relais Montangarde, we stop and read the sign.  The relais is going to open Jan 6th.  Continue on to St Ambroise.  Its early so we turn left on 93 and run back up thru the potato field and return on 134, the way we came up this morning.  Back across the two bridges and back to the hotel.

Most of the trails were groomed last night.  Maybe so they don't have to groom tonight, New Years Eve.  

What a great ride today.  The riding this year compared to other years has been great.  For those of you that follow us each December know that we have had years that we had to trailer to Valinouet to ride.  Not so this year.

See you tomorrow and we wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Jack & Sandi

Today we are starting a little later.  We just feel a little lazy today.

There is 3-4" of fresh snow on the ground and it is still snowing some.  A little breezy so there may be some drifts.  We leave the Sag and head west on 83.  We ride by the Delta and give it a wave.  There is some drifting in the open fields but not much.  We cruise along and take the Local 7 up to 383 where we turn left.  383 is nice under the fresh snow making for a smooth ride.  No traffic out at all.  We stay on 383 but notice that the trail to St Charles is barely broke.  No signs for St Charles so I don't know if that crossing is open.  We continue on and the junction to Larouche has a couple of sled tracks but hasn't been groomed.  We stay to the left and drop down to 83.  Here we cross the corner of Lac Kenogami and pass Relais Grenoule.  We continue on picking up 23 and run up to Ski Bee Doo for lunch.  Oh no.  That is what we were afraid of, it is closed for New Years Day.  It is going to be hit or miss today.

23 is in great shape.  We keep heading north into Alma and cross the river on the snowmobile / car bridge.  We turn right on 93.  This was in great shape yesterday and is still very good.  We turn left on Local 554 and go to Relais des Lacs.  Again, closed for today.  

We continue on 328 but when we turn right towards Begin, the trail is just barely broke.  This doesn't look like fun.  Time to u-turn and head back down 554 to 93.  Good choice.  Much better than beating ourselves up on 328.

We stay on 93 thru St Ambroise and turn right on 367.  At the camp ground, the trail has been plowed.  There is still a bit of snow on it but also dirt and rocks.  A little ways past the campground the trail drops down and runs thru a sparsely treed area.  Ah ha!  The groomer must have gotten stuck in here.  The drag is parked on the side of the trail and the trail is a mess.  It looks like the club must have come in with a big piece of equipment to pull the groomer out.

After this mess, the trail is good again.  We run back to the two bridges and head back to the hotel.  No lunch today but a nice ride.  We only saw a few sleds out and the trails were good.  One more day to ride and then it is time to load up and head back to CT.

Jack & Sandi

Hi everyone.  Today is our last day to ride for this trip.  It snowed a little again last, 2".  It is 5F.  Nice way to start the ride.

We leave the Sag and head west on 83.  We stop at the Delta and yes the Gutz boys made it.  We chat with them and decide where to go.  It is the holiday today and places may be closed like we found out yesterday.  The receptionist is nice enough to make a phone call for us.  No answer at Mt Apica.  Scratch that idea.  How about Ski Bee Doo.  She calls them.  Again, no answer.  Lets try one more, Relais des Lacs.  She calls and someone answers.  She is told they are open until 4 PM.  That is great.  We are looking for a lunch stop.

We take off on 383 and cross the two bridges and then turn right on 134.  At 93 we turn left.  The trails are good.  Again there isn't much traffic out.  We run thru St Ambroise to 554 and ride up to Relais des Lacs.  Yes, they are open.  There are a couple of sleds and a few cars in the lot and it is just before noon.

After lunch we run out 328 to L'Ascension to tank up.  We continue on 328 to 93 and turn left toward Alma.  The trails are OK.  We didn't see anything that was groomed last night but the traffic has been light this week so the only bad areas are near the bigger towns.  We ride 93 to St Ambroise and turn right on 367 to cross the bridges.  At the bridges, we bid the Gutz team goodbye and go our separate way.

A nice way to end the trip.  Today, no problems, no one falling off the trail and no break downs.  Sandi just looked out in the parking lot and our truck and two sleds are the only vehicles on this side of the hotel.  Come on up folks.  There is plenty of snow, grooming is on going (other than the holiday) and the traffic is light.

We are planning our next trip for Martin Luther King weekend.  See you then.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks guys.  The ride home was fine.  We ran into a little snow between Quebec City and Drummondville and then a lot of rain in the lower part of VT and MA.  Not much traffic on the road.  

Now it is time to do our end off the year paperwork for the businesses and get ready to go back up for Martin Luther King weekend.  The snow conditions are good.  Bill should be posting soon.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks for your reports Jack + Sandi it is early but a better start than last season! Glad the fire didn't get your season off to a bad start. I've always worried about that happening in the sled corrals. That much time after everyone parked it had to be electrical or arson. 

Two of the sleds in the tent were from my area Vaudreuil, one guy had a carriol on the back. They were at a friends News Years eve party talking about the experience.

One guys sled was replaced in 2 days and the other is still under investigation, insurance company wants to go look at it. I'm guessing he didn't buy the premium plan.

At least both guys were AOK, If your sled burns, and it happens, (to me almost twice last year (at the Gas pump and then the fuel line)) it happens, collect the insurance. If it's intentional just so you can get the latest sled (Maybe i'm just sour riding a 2011), I hope they put the screws to them.

GutZ

3 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Two of the sleds in the tent were from my area Vaudreuil, one guy had a carriol on the back. They were at a friends News Years eve party talking about the experience.

One guys sled was replaced in 2 days and the other is still under investigation, insurance company wants to go look at it. I'm guessing he didn't buy the premium plan.

What's a carriol?