2017 RDL Conditions

snowdogs

24 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Thanks David.  The BRP clips and posts drive me nuts.  The old strap and plastic lock I liked much better.  But Sandi doesn't have a problem with the new clips so it's probably me.  I am going to look into the Rox straps.

Jack & Sandi

The easiest by far is this set up, hopefully it is buy it once and move from sled to sled. Less capacity has made me take less stuff never used half the stuff I use to take. On and off in a second...

2017 Doo bags.JPG

This morning it is sunny with a few wispy clouds in the sky.  Today is a good day for riding.  Some days are better than others and today might just be one of those better days.

A look at the groomer map and it shows a lot of the trails were groomed overnight.  We decide to go back across the mountain and maybe take 35.  We head out on 587 west.  This trail wasn't groomed last night so there's some fluff.  As we approach the top of the mountain, I see tracks where the groomer from the La Redemption side turned around.  Yipee!  

IMG_0562.JPG

Trying to load pics but I can only load one.  I'll have to check to see what am I doing wrong.

As we descend the west side, we take 579 which is also groomed.  This is fine.  We stop at Les Hauteurs to top off the tanks.  I don't know this area real good and I'm not sure what stations are open on Sunday.  We take 579 to 5 to the junction with 35.  35 was previously 548.  Trail 35 looks perfect.  

Let me break away for a second.  Have you ever been in a boat on a lake early in the morning before any wind comes up and the water is dead still?  You ride along in the boat and it is as smooth as silk.  Well today we are in that boat, it is a snowmobile.  And the lake is trail 35.  This is spectacular.

35 is going to take us to Squatec.  A few sleds approach every now and then but it is relatively quiet for traffic.  We haven't been on this trail in a long time and I'm wondering why.  The lesser traveled trail sometimes turns out to be a jewel.  Sandi is cruising along in her own world.  She loves this type of trail.  35 is a mix of rolling hills and gentle curves.  Precious!  This is one of our best rides in a long time.  Many other trails have been great but every once in awhile everything comes together and the ride becomes really special.  This is one of those.

At Squatec we take 571 to 544 west.  Only one very small section that wasn't groomed.  We then take a short local trail over to 85 and then into Universal RDL.

What a great day.  This year is turning out to be fantastic.  Come on up and get some miles on those toys of yours.

Tomorrow we go to Hotel Bernieres.

Jack & Sandi

44 minutes ago, 182ray said:

Jack what are you doing for oil? Carrying it or buying it along the way?

Hi Ray.  This trip we are saddle bagging so I brought 2 liters of oil with me.  We are putting on a few more miles than I thought so I may have to pick up one more liter tomorrow.  The oil in the sled's tank should take you 600 miles or more I would think.

Jack & Sandi

46 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

The easiest by far is this set up, hopefully it is buy it once and move from sled to sled. Less capacity has made me take less stuff never used half the stuff I use to take. On and off in a second...

Hi Phil.  I've got the gas caddy and looked at the luggage but couldn't talk myself into it.  I might be able to shrink the stuff down to that but not yet.  It is a nice clean setup and very secure.

Jack & Sandi

3 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Hi Phil.  I've got the gas caddy and looked at the luggage but couldn't talk myself into it.  I might be able to shrink the stuff down to that but not yet.  It is a nice clean setup and very secure.

Jack & Sandi

I am cheating a bit, the Renegade XS, X has a compartment in the seat and I have fitted all survival gear in there.

Wish I were there right now have a few weeks to wait for our next ride. Thanks for your ride reports...

Hi Mike.  Not to take away from Lac St Jean and all the other areas, but yesterday when I looked at the groomer map almost everything was done overnight from Amqui to Tourville to Beauceville.  This year in general is turning out to be one of the best with early snow, good snow and mild temps.

Jack & Sandi

Another morning and it is time to ride.  We have to hit the Powerball so we  can do this all winter!

Heading back now.  We are going to Hotel Bernieres for tonight.  We load up and since we rode out 5 we will go back part of the way on 35.

We leave the Universal and head out trail 5 to Club les Adventuriers and turn right.  This has all been groomed.  When we turn after the clubhouse, Sandi is the first track on the fresh trail.  A few miles down the trail and all of a sudden I see Sandi's brake light come on.  I let off and see a deer running ahead and away from Sandi going down the trail.  It doesn't take him long to find a place to dive off into the bush.  Sandi picks up speed and continues on.  We run out the 10 or 15 miles and take the little connector to trail 526 and then 35.  Sandi is kicking up the snow dust now.

A few miles from Club les Explorateurs on 35, Sandi's brake light comes on again.  As I round the corner I see a big moose trotting down the trail in front of her.  The four legged animals are out today.  I slowly go around Sandi and stay back but keep pace with the moose.  This may take awhile.  He doesn't seem interested in jumping off the trail into the deep snow.  He's cruising along at 10-12 mph.  The trail is so nice.  I don't want to go this slow.  The moose stops and looks back at me.  Oh oh.  I better stop too.  I'm keeping my distance.  Sandi is stopped behind me.  The moose stands there for a minute and then turns away and starts trotting down the trail again.  As I pull up, I noticed a big yellow stain in the middle of the trail where the moose stood.  Hmm.  Marking the trail as his trail.  We come to a long straight away.  I stop at the top of the hill to give him some room.  I can see him looking from side to side.  Finally he jumps off to the left and into the deep snow.  Good.  Now is our chance.  We pick up speed and pass by the moose.  Overall it was about 1 1/4 miles that we followed the moose.  Close enough to keep him moving but not so close to aggravate him.

We cross the street at the clubhouse, get on the rail bed and roll on.  This part of the trail wasn't groomed last night but probably was the night before.  It is still so good.  Every now and then I fall back away from Sandi and test out the sled.  This is fun!  The gas mileage isn't going to be as good today but that's OK.  I just don't want to see another moose for a surprise.  Not to far from Tourville, the trail was groomed last night.  This is even better.

We stop at Tourville for a break and a little lunch.  Its early and we are the only sleds here.  We say hi to Reggie.  He usually pumps the gas there and speaks good English.  Always nice to see a familiar face.  By the time we leave, a dozen sleds or so have pulled in.

We get back on 35 and start rolling again.  All fresh groomed with only a few tracks on the trail.  At 551 we turn right to go to Montmagny to the Ski-Doo dealer.  I know you four strokers are going to laugh but I've got to get a liter of oil to get me back to Valcourt tomorrow and this dealer is on the trail.  I brought 2 liters with me but we have put on more miles than I thought we would.

I put the oil in and we stay on trail 5.  When we get to the junction with 543 near St Raphael, we decide to take 543 for a change.  We haven't been on this trail in a long time.  It is much different than 5.  This is almost all open fields.  Not bad today but on a windy day it would be hard picking out the trail I bet.  In St Charles we pick up 5 again to 75.  Again this is all very good shape.

At one of the road crossings in St Etienne, there are two sleds on the other side of the road facing us.  Two people standing next to the sleds with bright safety green vests on.  As Sandi crosses the road, one off them holds his hand out to stop her.  It is the Levis police.  He looks at her sticker and the CT plate and motions her on.  I pull up and he smiles at me.  I recognize him from last year.  We have been stopped by them a couple of times before and he remembers the CT plates.  I chat with them for a minute or so.  As I leave, I'm thinking to myself "What a tough job going out on the company snowmobile and getting paid for it!"

We finish up the day pulling into Hotel Bernieres and checking in.  Time for supper and a good nights rest.  One more day on the trail tomorrow to go back to Valcourt to the truck.

Jack & Sandi

I put the last post with the beginning of the trip in the Regional section Eastern Townships.

What a nice trip this was.  The weather was fine and only windy, drifting one day.  The other five days were great.  The trails are being groomed and we didn't seen that much traffic.

Next trip to the Delta, Jonquiere.

IMG_0553.JPG

Pic from trail 587 with the snow laden trees and a few windmills in the background.

Jack & Sandi

I started this thread when I was going to the Universal a month or so ago, unfortunately my beautiful 31 year old daughter's melanoma came back with a vengeance that day and didn't go on that trip, thank you to the Universal for not charging me for cancelling my reservations. We buried Erica yesterday. I am headed to the Universal tomorrow until Friday with some long time friends, 2 of which have only ridden in the Saint Zenon area and one who has never ridden Quebec. This is a week to try to clear my head with friends. If you are at the Universal to do day rides or just stopping in, please say hi. I also ask you to hug your wife, husband, significant other and your loved pets every chance you get. The time with them is precious and too short.

Thanks, Mark

Wow Mark so sorry for the loss of your Erica. Life IS Precious and unfortunately often times way too short as you said. May you find peace and a bit of clarity being with your friends. Wishing you all the best. 

Don

Edited by iceman

Mark we have never met but you can relax this evening knowing that you have many friends here on this board who are very compassionate individuals. In the last year I have had 3 very close friends/parents pass away. God bless your daughter.

Andy

I will be riding QC the next 12 days and if we get near the Universal I will look you up.

So sorry for your loss, it is had to understand the loss of a child.

wish you and the family the best , in this very difficult time !

schooter

Most sincere condolences Mark and all the best to you and the family to pass through this period. 

Becareful out there riding, try not to let your head wonder with memories this could be dangerous, try to save your thoughts for a later time when it's safer.

Enjoy and be safe.

So sorry for your loss Mark. Athough we have never met, I can connect with what your family has had to endure but can't imagine what it must be like to lose your daughter. I am a Melanoma survivor at least at this point, ( 5 years and counting ) and live every day with more appreciation for life than before. May you take comfort in the joy and good times you and you family have had with your daughter and may those memories keep her close always. 

Edited by Cnc