2017 RDL Conditions

snowdogs

So sorry to hear this sad news Mark. I just can't imagine this loss. My sincere condolences to your family and friends.  May your daughter rest in peace. 

Linda

Thank you all for the kind words, we arrived last night, rode today, only 150 miles since the temps never got above 5 degrees Fahrenheit, all trails awesome, crossed the groomer a few times and had first tracks on many. Still bitter cold, waiting to see what the weather does tomorrow, if it is snow we will ride, if it is ice we will not, the snow here is deep and this wont hurt anything. a few Quebec Riders here, met woolsock and his dad tonight and they said they had seen some other QR people, a lot of sleds coming and going today. All is well here so come on up. Thanks, Mark

Arrived at RDL Universal Hotel, rm 112. Looks like awesome snow. 

Reservations for two nights and hoping for a cancellation so I can get several more nights and not have to move. And for some reason I am unable to send texts via my cell, so I guess just message me via Quebecrider for now.

mike

Did a 60 mile loop this afternoon and conditions very nice, just slightly loose on top from some snow they must have gotten the past couple days. So far no snow coming down from the storm that is hitting New England. Wondering if something from the storm is preventing me from texting the wife (Verizon) in Maine or if Verizon figured another way to get more money out of me by making me get a texting plan for Canada!  

mike

29 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Wondering if something from the storm is preventing me from texting the wife (Verizon) in Maine or if Verizon figured another way to get more money out of me by making me get a texting plan for Canada!  

Just curious, did you try to turn phone off then on again? Might do the trick.

Thanks Ice, tried it but it did not help, keep getting 'send failed'.    Never had this problem at this hotel before so am wondering if it is storm related. New England is getting hit hard with a snowstorm today. Only cloudy in RDL.

mike

6 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Thanks Ice, tried it but it did not help, keep getting 'send failed'.    Never had this problem at this hotel before so am wondering if it is storm related. New England is getting hit hard with a snowstorm today. Only cloudy in RDL.

mike

It was worth a shot. Could be the storm like you say. 

Found this map showing Verizon outage issues.

http://downdetector.com/status/verizon/map/

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

Did a 60 mile loop this afternoon and conditions very nice, just slightly loose on top from some snow they must have gotten the past couple days. So far no snow coming down from the storm that is hitting New England. Wondering if something from the storm is preventing me from texting the wife (Verizon) in Maine or if Verizon figured another way to get more money out of me by making me get a texting plan for Canada!  

mike

May this does not apply to your phone or plan but did you check settings? I can and do have my phone set to home towers only so as not let the signal go to US towers when near the border maybe you have similar but for your country.  also under settings maybe there is a option to restrict data roaming. I have that on my I phone.

Thanks Dom, southern Maine is in the red, so I think you hit the nail on the head.

I am such a dunderhead with gadgets, wouldn't know how to change the settings if I tried. Just an old flip phone that always allowed me to text while in Quebec. But I think Dom is correct, southern Maine is part of the outage. I was worried, wanted to  make sure my wife knew I made it up here okay. I sent her an e-mail, she hardly ever checks her e-mail, but did so tonight so I feel better knowing she is okay and she knows I am okay and made the trip up okay. Thanks again for all the help.

mike

9 hours ago, mikerider said:

Arrived at RDL Universal Hotel, rm 112. Looks like awesome snow. 

Reservations for two nights and hoping for a cancellation so I can get several more nights and not have to move. And for some reason I am unable to send texts via my cell, so I guess just message me via Quebecrider for now.

mike

We got a room at the Days Inn for Saturday night, Universal and the Leveques were full when I called a week ago. I keep calling Universal hoping to fill out a cancelation, we hope to share a brew with ya. Keep us posted on your Sat evening location.

JG

I have reservations for all next week, just not Saturday night. Hoping for a cancellation, if not, maybe the hotel's heated garage. Not worried, the old motel on trail 526 a few miles out closer to the St. Lawrence is always empty. Or ride all day with a saddlebag and stay the night in Cabano. Its an adventure.

Well, found out I had no pull at the Universal. Beg as I tried and did try for two days, the place is full and them some. Was hoping to get spoiled at Holel Levesque but they are full with hockey and a wedding. Hope to eat at Levesque though.

I am at Days Inn which is where Trailblazer and crew are supposed to be tonight. Not bad but rooms are very small and old, and more than I pay at Universal. Hope to meet JG himself tonight but I believe he had a very high mile day scheduled today.

Trails again today were nothing short of awesome, heavier traffic but light compared to many other areas of the province. Love it when the trees are full of snow, looks more wintry.

Will be back at Universal tomorrow night and staying another eight nights.

While in Squatec today found another great restaurant. Take the trail into Squatec and actually its trail 35 that jumps onto a side road and neighborhood of houses. The trail is on the road for about a tenth of a mile. There is  a sign for the restaurant and a couple other businesses along this road, that sign is for the restaurant most of us eat at. One of the side roads, (Jacques Rd) goes down to a gas station (Esso) that I just recently learned of. All these side streets are usually snow covered and only a couple hundred yards long. At one end of the plowed road  #35 is Club Sportif, (not sure just what this club is, looks like a community hall).  The groomers are usually parked behind Club Sportif. Go around to the front of Club Sportiff down to the road, the the restaurant driveway is about a 40 foot ride along the road. Can't remember the restaurant name but it used to be a dive and then I think closed for a couple years. It has been completely remodeled and is now small and cozy and very nice. My hamburgers were very good and some of the bigger meals people were eating looked fantastic

mike

Edited by mikerider
add

Mike I am appalled the snowmobile ambassador of the Universal be treated in such a shaudy manor!  I feel I should send a strongly worded message to management!!

Glad to here conditions are good. Enjoy the ride my friend. 

Edited by smclelan

Hi Steve,      unfortunately my friend at the main desk is out for several weeks with an injury, he always seemed to come up with a room for me when they were full, one of those secret rooms in case they overbooked. Did find out he was giving me a nice discount which some of the staff is carrying over.  

Has owning a new camp made you old, sitting all day by the fireplace? Haven't heard of you riding much. I'm here for 8 more nights, c'mon up! Day rides, plenty of coffee stops, no must get there destination schedule, no out of the way shabby hotels,,,geez, sounds like I am getting old.

mike