2017 RDL Conditions

snowdogs

I am heading to the Gaspesie arriving March 3rd. I hope to see some of you there! Monday night I am in Cap Chat at one of my favourite places. I hope to see some of you! My sled...yellow XRS. If you see me. 

IMG_3811.PNG

I just booked Ambassadeur for Friday and Saturday night. Probably stay Sunday too. I  am planning a supper with Groomer. If anyone wants to join us please let me know and maybe we can get a little gathering together with him. Apparently the lasagna is better at select so I am thinking it might be there. Sat or Sunday  let me know if one is better than the other if you think you'd like to come. 

Thanks

lindasledgirl

19 minutes ago, lindasledgirl said:

I just booked Ambassadeur for Friday and Saturday night. Probably stay Sunday too. I  am planning a supper with Groomer. If anyone wants to join us please let me know and maybe we can get a little gathering together with him. Apparently the lasagna is better at select so I am thinking it might be there. Sat or Sunday  let me know if one is better than the other if you think you'd like to come. 

Thanks

lindasledgirl

I (we) can be there Sunday night the 5th, already gave JG the heads up , would love to meet up and see you both and have dinner together, please let me know. we are 4. We are leaving RDL Sunday morning after a Saturday  dinner with a few other QR, so 2 nights in a row would be awesome, now i am excited, let me know if Sunday works out, thanks, Mario.   

Just landed in RDL/Universal Room 120. I came up thru Jackman and took the back roads across from St. George. Off and on snow squalls most of the way leaving a heavy dusting to an inch, at least until I got within ten miles of the St. Lawrence and then no sign of new snow.  Streams have a lot of water roiling down them, few fields look like a little water in low spots, driveways and parking lots are mostly bare, temps in mid to upper 20's, very windy. Desk clerk said she heard riding was pretty good.  Maybe??? a ride this afternoon to check it out. The areas I drove thru today with the new snow made it look like midwinter conditions.

As with last trip, cell phone is not working anymore in Quebec. No texts, no nothing.

mike

23 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Just landed in RDL/Universal Room 120. I came up thru Jackman and took the back roads across from St. George. Off and on snow squalls most of the way leaving a heavy dusting to an inch, at least until I got within ten miles of the St. Lawrence and then no sign of new snow.  Streams have a lot of water roiling down them, few fields look like a little water in low spots, driveways and parking lots are mostly bare, temps in mid to upper 20's, very windy. Desk clerk said she heard riding was pretty good.  Maybe??? a ride this afternoon to check it out. The areas I drove thru today with the new snow made it look like midwinter conditions.

As with last trip, cell phone is not working anymore in Quebec. No texts, no nothing.

mike

Just a thought on the phone business, have you looked into a pay as you go phone for up here? Not sure if this would be a solution but the reason I mention it is a trucker friend who lives in Quebec and runs Montreal- Florida has a US cell phone for on the road as using his Quebec cell phone would be impractical state side.

12 minutes ago, Cnc said:

Just a thought on the phone business, have you looked into a pay as you go phone for up here? Not sure if this would be a solution but the reason I mention it is a trucker friend who lives in Quebec and runs Montreal- Florida has a US cell phone for on the road as using his Quebec cell phone would be impractical state side.

Verizon wireless has $2.00 a day and use your phone just like state side (your plan ) no extra charges and pay only the days you use it even if it is 1 day a year.

Free to sign up. 

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

mike

Jeez I thought you would have upgraded to an iPhone 7 before coming back & get the plan I have where the calls text & data are the same in Canada as in the USA 🇺🇸 

My ultra modern flip lid phone is connected to Verizon via a no contract status. For years I could text up here and suddenly someone flipped a switch and now I can't text or receive texts when across the border . Last trip of the year, guess I will just have to deal with it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I like the $2 day use idea.  Also I too have heard some people have bought cheap phones in Canada to use up here.

mike

RDL Trail Conditions:

Did a 70 mile loop this afternoon going S then SW and looped back around.  Basically down 526 to the club house by the RR yard and up to 5 and back to RDL.

Overall it is pretty good. Still plenty of snow. Still looks like winter, especially several miles out of the city, where some trees still have a coating of snow on them. Around RDL the sleds tore up the top layer of snow so there is lube and cooling. Several miles south and west there is a dusting of snow on the trails to boot.

But, the trail base is hard as a rock. It isn't icy, Just rock solid hard. A few times felt the rear end slide out a little, not like on ice, but hard snow where the track just couldn't grip and would slide a little sideways. Overall just better to average a few miles per hour less than usual. Once more sleds use the trails and the groomers get out and maybe break up the snow a bit, should be perfect.

Lot of water in streams. Bare parking lots and bare country road crossings that are usually covered.

To sum it up, I ain't going home for several days.

mike

21 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

Going by the Environment Canada weather pinned on this forum let's hope they are wrong 

Unfortunately I find their forecasts are usually the most accurate. I watch them all trust me.

It can still change.

8 hours ago, mikerider said:

It is only my guess, but it would not take much rain to turn the trails from a hard base to an ice base. Again, only my opinion.

mike

We leaving from Beauceville this am (but 55 is closed somewhere with a bridge out).  If we can get around the closure, we should be to RDL later today.  Mike - can meet in St Pamphile for lunch if you like.  I think that is where we will end up with the closure and the fact that the Restaraunt that opens at 6 here is not open yet.

As for phones, I found out last night after an hour on the phone w Verizon, that Canada made a change on 1/1/17 that changed their system and certain older phones will no longer work at all.  Like my beloved Palm Centro.  And I figured out how to get my iPhone working.  No idea about charges, but it is working now.

Gary,   Sounds great, hopefully will meet in in St. Pamphille.  Since I can't text, don't wait for me if I am not there, but I plan to be there. You should get your 18 MPG on these trails today, they are pretty rock hard. I am hoping for 23 MPG.

mike

18 hours ago, iceman said:

What's a flip phone? LOL

Hi Don.  Its like the phone I have.  It is almost impossible to break the tiny glass cover on it, I've dropped it more times than I can count, it actually has keys on it that push and it has a camera but I don't know how to use that.  The disadvantage is I have to charge it maybe once a week if I use it a lot.  Its not like my rotary phone at home that I never have to charge.  :yahoo:

OK, we might have to explain to some of the younger riders what a rotary phone is.

Jack & Sandi