2017 RDL Conditions

snowdogs

13 hours ago, jagman56 said:

The Weather Network offers a glimmer of hope on Wednesday, I'm curious if anyone that's there thinks the area could withstand some rain, then it looks like some snow is heading in , what they think of that scenario ?

thanks Jagman 

We are still driving up Friday the 3rd.  I'm hoping by then the Florida weather is gone and the freeze is back.  From what Mike is saying, the trails shouldn't get hurt and the groomers will be able to do their magic for the weekend.  Check the snow depth coverage NOAA Snow Depth and it looks good.

Jack & Sandi

About 240 miles today over and around St. Pamphille area, met friends for lunch and we rode back to hotel together.

Darn close to amazing conditions now that groomers worked their magic.  Trails still hard but really sweet most everywhere.

mike

2 hours ago, mikerider said:

About 240 miles today over and around St. Pamphille area, met friends for lunch and we rode back to hotel together.

Darn close to amazing conditions now that groomers worked their magic.  Trails still hard but really sweet most everywhere.

mike

Hey Mike we are in Matane and the trails were much better than I had hoped. We ran into some blizzard like conditions before and after Rimouski. I had to come to a complete stop at times because I couldn't see the stakes that mark the trail. Lots of fresh snow in many areas and some perfect and not so perfect trails. I'm sure with colder temps all the clubs will get the groomers running. I'm very happy I made the trip. There is so much snow and the trails have such an awesome base that just a few inches of fresh snow make you feel like you are in perfect mid season conditions. Can't wait to hit the trails again tomorrow and head to Mont St Pierre

Joe

Js,    so glad you got the good conditions. I wasn't sure what you would run into up there. Sounds good, wish you stayed a day, I wanted to drool some more over your sidewinder.

Grampsledder,    I may still be here Sunday into Monday if the weather and trails stay good.

mike

8 hours ago, mikerider said:

Js,    so glad you got the good conditions. I wasn't sure what you would run into up there. Sounds good, wish you stayed a day, I wanted to drool some more over your sidewinder.

Grampsledder,    I may still be here Sunday into Monday if the weather and trails stay good.

mike

Hope to see you when we return Sat. They are calling for 6-10 inches of snow on Thursday. I'm not familiar with the weather up here but we got a first hand look at how windy it can be and if you add some snow it could be a challenge.

Joe

Doing day trips out out of the hotel I have seen many people over the years leave RDL for the Gaspe only to come back days later saying they had to turn around and come back due to the drifts or have to stay in a town for a few days til the groomers break out the drifts. So I can only imagine.

mike

3 hours ago, Js12ren said:

Hope to see you when we return Sat. They are calling for 6-10 inches of snow on Thursday. I'm not familiar with the weather up here but we got a first hand look at how windy it can be and if you add some snow it could be a challenge.

Joe

Hi Joe.  Trail 5 along the river is beautiful but can be unforgiving.  Like Mike said, when the snow and wind comes in, take shelter.  Enjoy the ride and the scenery.

Jack & Sandi

Looks like conditions are not to bad in the RDL and Rimouski areas.  I ride the Quebec Region 2-3 times a year and are familiar with that area. My normal crew are not available at this time and was thinking I would like to head up and ride.  Was thinking of driving up and stay at the Universal RDL tomorrow night 03/01/2017.  I see the forecast and it looks like Rain turning to snow Wednesday into Thursday.  Was checking in to see if anybody was doing day trips or a 2-3 day loop out of there, and would not mind another sled to join them.  I have been checking this site for years and appreciate all the good posts that all the members give.  First time I have signed up and posted anything.

Oilman 

Welcome to QuebecRider Oilman.  Go for it.  If you have been up there before, you know there are usually other sledders there.  If not, you are never far from civilization if you do venture out on your own.  We are driving up Friday for a long weekend.  Maybe we will see you there.

Jack & Sandi

Thank you for info Revct1. I figured there might be some other sledders there doing the same thing. If not I will enjoy some riding  either way.  If everything works out ok at work and such, I will be headed that way tomorrow around 1:00.  it is about a 6 hour drive for me from southern Maine. I am sort of open ended, so might see you there Friday.

Oilman

Looks like weather forecast  shows a little colder this afternoon then it did yesterday for the RDL region Looks like Freezing Rain to Rain to Snow Wednesday-Thursday. More snow now. Hope that is right. Should keep it good through the weekend into next week.

Today we rode over to Rimouski and looped around to Squatec. It was a mixture of riding,  Some good, some sections where the groomers needed to get out and groom, and some areas around Rimouski and Squatec that the trails were so hard the sleds weren't breaking the surface snow and trails were slippery. Other guys had ice ripper tracks so they didn't notice, but at times I sure did.  The trail surface is so hard I can't imagine it will absorb any rain. Just my opinion.BUT, if it turns to snow during this event, sometimes sleet or snow sticks to the wet trail and forms a new good base over the old surface. I just have no idea how this will play out.  I think some groomers aren't bothering to go out due to the upcoming  rain.  A couple sections were rough for about 30 miles, very unusual for this area. Still, we managed over 200 miles, some sections were great, had lunch and two coffee stops.

Oilman, you are welcome to join me if riding is still good.   I'm in room 120.

mike

Thanks Mikerider, that would be great if it works out. Would like to meet and do some riding with you and others. I will get a hold of you when I get there and see what it looks like. I know it is hard to tell what the conditions will be like after this Rain/Snow Event. 

Watching this thread closely and appreciate the updates on trails and on weather ! 

Like many here it seems Mike has given my wife and I some great advice and we make our maiden Canada sledding voyage arriving Sat afternoon riding Sun,Mon,Tues.  Have always done our sledding in Maine where we live....and cant wait !

Thanks to all who contribute here. Great site. Reminds me of Robs early days of HCS. More meat and less potatoes. :-)

Hardly a drizzle at the moment.

Just an FYI    The forecast for Sagueany area looks more promising, If you have never stayed at the Delta Hotel in Jonquiere, it is really nice and the trails there are also great. I just wanted to put that out there as I know there are a few first timers coming to Quebec this weekend. Even though it looks further on the map, mileage (I believe) is not much more although travel time is slightly more. On the map it just looks like a long ways off. Lots of U.S. folks usually there to give good trail advice.

mike

I agree with Mike.  The travel time to either Riviere du Loup or Jonquiere from Quebec City is almost the same.  We have ridden in both areas many times and you wouldn't be disappointed with either choice.  With that said, our last trip was to Jonquiere so this trip we are going to RDL for the weekend.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1
Re-worded