2017 RDL Conditions

snowdogs

Rained in RDL a few hours this morning and changed to snow around noon, way earlier than expected.  Wasn't sticking to the ground at first, maybe away from town it was. It is snowing at a good clip now and sticking, a wet snow. Calling for several inches. There is hope! But no promises yet. 

We ate lunch at the RDL Adventurers Snowmobile club house, Really good food, a friend who also does day rides out of the hotel eats there every night, says the food at night is awesome. Trip to the BRP dealer to look around, nice place. My fingerprints are all over that 850 Renegade.

When we left for lunch, the hotel was swarming with police and dignitaries.  Obviously my invitation got lost in the mail.

mike

4 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Trip to the BRP dealer to look around, nice place. My fingerprints are all over that 850 Renegade.

mike

I have the 850 renagade. Love it , the sled leaps!!! Took awhile to get it dialed in. Need to put a lot of pressure on the skis for good cornering. We are up at the Universal Saturday. Maybe we will see you.

I plan to stay the weekend, although my reservations end Friday. Front desk assures me there will be cancellations. 

The dignitary at the hotel today was the prime minister of Quebec.

Pic of front entrance to hotel.

P1080013.JPG

Hard to tell the snow amount this morning from the parking lot  due to the wind moving the snow around, looks like a couple inches at least, probably more once out of RDL several miles into the higher ground. Still snowing. At least it now looks like mid winter.

mike

We are coming up Sunday, staying at the Universal and plan on riding to Matane then taking the am ferry to Godbout and then west to the long bridge. Thanks for the weather updates.  

Started out this morning to ride with Oilman. Realized after we got going that there was freezing drizzle in the air that was coating the helmet shields and within one mile could not see. I turned around and Oilman continued on to ride.

Once out on the trail in the woods there was a good 3 inches of snow. I am betting more once into a little elevation. Trails seemed fine. Hopefully the goomers get out tonight.

Oilman did say driving up late afternoon and evening yesterday he came through Jackman and hit rain all the way until about 30 miles before RDL, then it was snowing. 

Hopefully I might know more later today, til then again I say it looks hopeful but no promises. Hopefully a report from Oilman and GKW and crew left this morning to ride to their rig in Beauceville. Hopefully GKW will report in.

mike

Hi Mike.  Thanks as always for the reports.  The weather forecast is some snow today 3-10 cm depending on which forecast and windy.  Friday thru Monday no snow but high temps around -12C / 10F and low temps around -18C / 0F.  Those are nice temps for night grooming and letting the trails set up for riding.  Yipee!

See you Friday night.

Jack & Sandi

I normally don't like posting conditions so often but so many people contacted me about this weekend I wanted to try to give some honest conditions so they could make a wise decision. And too boot the weather has been changing every few hours. Around 11:00 AM it turned back to snow, snowing fairly hard and wind is gusty. 

mike

Another wild card is how many trails get groomed.  The clubs around RDL tend to do a fantastic job but we don't know until it happens.  I'm hoping after the warm weather when they couldn't groom as much, they will be out in force for the weekend.  There hasn't been too much grooming activity around RDL the past few days but that would be due to the warm temps I would think.  There has been more grooming up at Lac St Jean but it is a little cooler up there.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks again Mike. No need to apologize for too much info.

We're rabid for it.   LOL

By Sunday morning Im hoping the grooming is all caught up for our 3 trail days. 😀 The Snowtracker carbides my wife and I run on our TZ1's really thrive on a firm trail base so we should be good !

35 minutes ago, mikerider said:

I normally don't like posting conditions so often but so many people contacted me about this weekend I wanted to try to give some honest conditions so they could make a wise decision. And too boot the weather has been changing every few hours. Around 11:00 AM it turned back to snow, snowing fairly hard and wind is gusty. 

mike

We appreciate the updates.   We are headed up Saturday.   

Looking good! I went out this afternoon for a 75 mile run going SW to Explorateurs club house for lunch. About six inches of fluff just outside RDL and about under 2 inches 35 miles SW at the club relais. At times its was snowing steady with occasional blizzard like conditions for ten minute clips. I also met up   with Oilman upon his return from riding 140 miles going E to Trois Pisteles, S  and then made his way over to Cabanno. Said riding was good, and like me said less new snow to the south but still good riding. Hopefully the groomers will get out tonight and do their thing. many groomers have sat out this bad spell of weather although my route today was smooth. So it seems we are back in business, and it looks like winter again with the trees caked in snow and sleds at all the club houses, and the parking lots no longer wearing off the carbides.

mike

Mikerider summed it up good. 2-7 inches of fresh snow depending where you were and elevation. More East and North from RDL. Ended up doing 180 miles total. Back to winter for sure. Mostly smooth trails with the pow on top. Great ride.

Oilman and MikeRider I hear you met a couple of my buddies on their way to Amqui. They messaged me "OMG there are people here that know you too" lol

Hi Linda, yes, met a couple of your Ontario friends who couldn't say enough good about you. 

I am looking forward to dinner with everyone this weekend, Good idea Jack and Sandi!

And thanks Oilman for posting the pics. They captured the day.

mike

I am happy to report the trails were groomed at the Universal last night. I will be trucking in to Amqui today and have room in my trailer if anyone has a trail emergency cell is 519-381-7002. Otherwise hope to see everyone this week/weekend in Groomertown just below Hallé Ville!

i look forward to the stories about last night lol!

We have arrived at the Universal.  We haven't been out on the trail yet.  I'll leave the trail update for Mike or whoever else feels ambitious.  

We can give you an update from the black trail though.  At the border crossing from VT, the snow was thin and that is a compliment.  We really didn't see any significant snow cover until 30 miles or so before Levis / Quebec City.  Here it looks like there was quite a bit of rain.  The snow has a shinny crust on it.  Around Montmagny there is a little more fluff on the snow and it is getting deeper.  The trees have a lot of ice on the branches indicating a fair amount of freezing rain recently.  About 50 miles from RDL we drove thru a quick snow squall and some wind.  Arriving at RDL there is good snow cover and some fluff on the crust.  The groomers have been out and the trail at the hotel shows traffic.  The parking lot is packed with truck / trailers on the gas station side and the east side.  Many, many riders are based out of here.  I would think a lot of them are on a Gaspe adventure.  The weather forecast for this weekend looks great.

We hope to see some QuebecRider folks this weekend.

Jack & Sandi

RDL is back to its glory!

We rode east today to Rimouski and then southwest to Squatec and back to below RDL. Packed powder, groomed and beautiful snow packed trees along with lots of sunshine.

We then made a quick loop west of RDL, still good but they did not get as much new snow. Some places today looked like they had gotten more than ten inches. 275 mile day, Oilman, JAK and I were smiling the whole way.

Now in Room 209. (Remember still zip for any type of cell service).

mike

Tardy report here on conditions to GET to RDL via 55.  We left RDL on Thurs am after the rain to head back to 55/75 in Beauceville.  Trails were very hard and smooth with just enough snow cover to have great traction and plenty of steering.  35 was mostly excellent.  While also allowing the sleds to coast when you let off the gas!  The two 1200s got 18MPG and the 900 got 23!

When we left Beauceville on Monday, the trail was closed for a bridge that was out.  That bridge is only a couple miles from the clubhouse and is not fully repaired.  It is also where the fresh snow cover disappeared. So only the last 2 miles into the clubhouse is icy.  (There is still a massive base there, but they need more new snow.). That said, the parking lot is pure mud and we were the only truck there and the clubhouse was closed at 2 on a Thursday.  Very spotty looking trails south of there and bare fields down through Armstrong.

GW