2017 RDL Conditions

snowdogs

We had a beverage and supper with Mike Rider and Oilman last night.  Thanks for the company and insight as to conditions.  As they said above, the trails are back to winter perfection.

Thanks for the pics Oilman.  It shows how nice it is here after the warm up.  Still great!  Now for breakfast and where do we go to burn some gas?

Jack & Sandi

Into Universel for dinner and there 4 nites. First trip. Pretty gassed up with these reports and great pics.

Any of you bothered with the heated units for the sleds ? Seems unneccesary but at these temps might be nice way to start. 

The security aspect feels like a bonus as well. We leave our saddle bags fairly stocked.

12 minutes ago, EastMark said:

Into Universel for dinner and there 4 nites. First trip. Pretty gassed up with these reports and great pics.

Any of you bothered with the heated units for the sleds ? Seems unneccesary but at these temps might be nice way to start. 

The security aspect feels like a bonus as well. We leave our saddle bags fairly stocked.

I use them most every time up there.  There is no charge unless you want the heat on.  Just a $15 deposit for the key.  If you leave your bags on the sled, it is a good option.  But book ahead as they fill up faster than the hotel!

GW

Headed west today to St Pamphille. Groomers over night were busy-lots of green.

Eastmark, let me know how you made out today. Will be around tonight, at dinner in dining room with large crowd. Anxious to hear how you liked it around here.

mike

mike

Finally after a crazy week jagman is on the way to RDL or bust ! My ETA 9pm hopefully the snowmobile spirits groom a smooth trail in maybe meet some qriders at dinners end  ! 

Look forward to placing faces to the handles Jagman 

Today's trip to St Pamphille was excellent trails and mostly sunny. Lots of wind and cold. Started out on 526 along the St. Lawrence. View across the river was beautiful with all the snowy mountains. Got to St Pam too early for lunch so continued on. Found a new place 20 miles further up 571 called de Lac Est, restaurant on a remote lake that turned out to be wonderful, nice find.  Got back around to Explorateurs Club House and looked like it would be a 210 mile day. Not good enough for JAK and Oilmnan, so off to the south we went. Second coffee stop at the Chevelliers Club and back to the hotel, didn't get final mileage but probably close to 300 miles. Great day and JAK and Oilman have been awesome riding buddies.

mike

Last night we are eating in the restaurant and see the groomer making a pass.  This is a good sign!

This morning  its overcast, -20C and very windy.  The calendar says March 4th but the conditions say February 4th.  The groomers were out in force last night.  A lot of green on the map.  We decide to take 5 east and then circle back on 35 to 85.

Sandi and I head out and the trail is nice.  We get to trail 5 and turn left.  The open fields are pretty windy.  Its trying to blow us right off the trail.  No drifting, just a lot of wind.  We get into the woods and its much better.  The trail is really good.  We book along and get to Relais Trois Pistoles.  It must be race day here.  The lot is full, there is an excavator out on the drag strip and a lot of people and sleds around.  No time to stop here.  We keep on running.  A few sleds coming towards us.  Maybe going to the races.  The power lines weren't groomed last night but the trail is still good.  Just a little character in the trail, no big bumps.  Time to warm up at Relais L'Etang.  Only a few sleds here.  We like to take a stop here even if it is just to have a coffee / chocolate.  A few sleds pull in while we are here.  A couple of guys grabbing beers at the bar.  Its 10:00 AM?  No beer for us.  That can wait until we are back in the hotel.

Back on the sleds and keep heading east.  We get to 35 and this looks good too.  Now we are away from the St Lawrence and more in the woods.  The wind only kicks up a little when we get into a field.  No drifts.  The snow is quite a bit fluffier here than it was back in RDL.  This area looks like they got 8-10 inches where RDL was more like 4-6.  We haven't come across too many sleds today.  This 35 is such a nice trail.  We are running along the section that parallels the little river.  Nice rolling hills and gentle curves.  Good trail.

Heading towards Squatec and we get to where 546 goes straight and 35 goes left.  Last trip we took 35, this time its 546.  A few twisties in the woods and then the trail opens up and its a nice trail.  I haven't been on this in a long time.  A very pleasant surprise.  We get to Squatec and have lunch at the small diner in town.  Two two-uppers here.  We have lunch and warm up a bit.  Its a nice little lunch stop.

We are back on the sleds and still on 35 heading west.  This is still in good shape.  As we get up in elevation, the wind picks up again.  Still in the woods so its not too bad.  We cruise on into St Louis du Ha! Ha!  What a name for a town.  We turn right on 85 and start the final leg back to the Universal.  As always this is nice.  Not fresh groomed but smooth with a bunch of tracks on it.  We go by Relais Adventurer and notice a lot of sleds here.  The drag strip was just manicured today.  I'll bet they are having a big event tomorrow.

Back home at the Universal.  Another nice ride in RDL land.  Hoping to meet a few other QuebecRider folks tonight.  Have a great night and we hope you can get one more trip in.  The riding is still great here, Gaspe and up at Lac St Jean.

Jack & Sandi

3 hours ago, revct1 said:

Nice pics Oilman.  You guys put on a ton of miles and still find time to stop for pics.  Great work.

Jack & Sandi

Oilman's a great trail boss, he made sure I got my mandatory two coffee breaks.

mike

Couple hundred plus miles around Squatec and Rimouski today, bright sunshine and many good trails, but fields were drifted up in places due to the very strong wind past 3 days that finally settled down today. Rode with Oilmnan, JAK and Jagman.

mike

This morning the groomer map doesn't show much overnight activity.  Not quite as cold as yesterday and a clear blue sky.  Sandi and I are off to the east.  We take the local trail between the highway and the river thru Notre Dame du Portage.  This is fine.  A little tiny bit of drifting in the fields.  This local trail turns into 559 and joins up with 5 which we head east on to Relais Sportif.  So smooth with a little loose snow on top.  At the relais we take 557 to 35.  From here it is a quick jaunt over to 557.  Mike told us about a restaurant they stopped at yesterday on Lac de L'Est.  The restaurant is about 1 mile off of 557.  Pretty little place sitting on the edge of the lake.  Its early so we have a couple of hot chocolates.

Back on 557 and this is nice.  I haven't been on this in a long time and now 557 is on roads that are closed for the winter, wide, gentle and fast.  We make our way to the relais at St Pamphile.  Sunday brunch and it is full with the local people.  Lets keep going.  We head up 55 north to Tourville.  This is pretty busy too but it is lunch time.  We go inside and the service is pretty quick for the number of people that are here.  We watch the sleds coming and going while we eat.  Now its our turn to leave.

Off we go on 55 still heading north.  This is a quick run up to trail 5 where we turn right.  We cruise thru Hiboux's parking lot.  They are busy too.  Everyone is out taking advantage of a beautiful day.  Running down 5 we catch up to three sleds taking their time.  It looks like the middle driver is getting their learner's permit.  There's a nice straight away and Sandi pulls out and goes.  I only get one sled.  The next straight away is my turn.  The two sleds slow down and let me by.  A quick thank you wave and I'm off to catch up to Sandi.  Trail 5 is fine.  A few chops in some of the corners and a little drifting in open areas but it is a weekend.

We get to 561 and drop down to Realis Explorers.  This place is busy too.  The groomer is out back and it is running.  He is going out tonight.  We take 526 to 85 and back to the Universal.  What a nice ride today.  You can feel the chatter of the skis on the ice base but plenty of dust for lubrication and cooling.

Jack & Sandi

Good morning Gowser and Steve.  The conditions are great.  An icy base to the west of RDL, i.e. Tourville, St Pampile, Hiboux.  To the east there is a little more snow on the icy base, Rimouski.  The trails are fine as they have been all season.  Hats off to the clubs for all the work they do for us humble snowmobilers.

The forecast is for temps to be slightly above freezing for Tuesday and Wednesday with some rain.  After Wednesday, the temps drop below freezing for the next 10 days.  Only a few flurries for this week but it looks like more significant snow, no blizzard but a few days of light snow, for next week.  It appears that there will be decent riding for a while here and up at Lac St Jean.

We are going home tomorrow along with a few others.  There are a lot of riders out on the Gaspe that will be returning over the next week.  Happy trails to all!

Jack & Sandi

Met some super nice people from the site here at the hotel bar. Mike,Jagman,Oilman. Like minded people that love to sled. Cant beat that. :-)

Wow. 2nd day ever riding here. Incredible.

Yesterday we headed to Rimouski and the feilds early on were drifted and choppy in places and perfect in others. As we went along it went from good to great. Rimouski to St Louis Ha Ha was sweet. That trail 35 is a gas. Back late along 85 and followed the groomer a bit near the end of it...259 miles of fun.

Wind is gone today so the drifting was groomed out and stayed perfect. Did 165 today out to 526 then the trail 35 railbed....wow....then to 577 and a bunch of side trails eventually back to RDL on 5. Amazing day. Best quality day of riding Ive ever done. No bumps and a hard tight base with a little bit of powder...my fav. I would have to think it was great conditions even by Bas Laurent standards today. 

Not sure where to tomorrow....but I expect it will be flat as hell. :-)

Well it is time to go home. What a way to end the season, 915 miles in 3 1/2 days, if not for the wind, trail & weather conditions were as good as they can get. I rode with some amazing people, all hardcore Quebec riders. Mikerider, Oilman & Jagman, great guys all. It was also my first time riding with Jack & Sandi. What an incredible couple. Made a lot of new friends and hopefully riding partners this season, here in RVL and across the river in LSJ. Already looking forward to next season.

13 hours ago, revct1 said:

Good morning Gowser and Steve.  The conditions are great.  An icy base to the west of RDL, i.e. Tourville, St Pampile, Hiboux.  To the east there is a little more snow on the icy base, Rimouski.  The trails are fine as they have been all season.  Hats off to the clubs for all the work they do for us humble snowmobilers.

The forecast is for temps to be slightly above freezing for Tuesday and Wednesday with some rain.  After Wednesday, the temps drop below freezing for the next 10 days.  Only a few flurries for this week but it looks like more significant snow, no blizzard but a few days of light snow, for next week.  It appears that there will be decent riding for a while here and up at Lac St Jean.

We are going home tomorrow along with a few others.  There are a lot of riders out on the Gaspe that will be returning over the next week.  Happy trails to all!

Jack & Sandi

Safe travels.