2017 RDL Conditions

snowdogs

This morning JAK needs a riding partner.  Glad to have you ride along with us JAK.  The sky is blue, the wind has calmed down and the temperature is a little warmer than it has been.  So we are off on 5 east, just groomed, to the little connector to 526, just groomed to 35 to Pohenegamook, groomed the day before.  Here we stay on 35 which brings us back to 85 at St Louis du Ha Ha.  This piece of 35 has a few icy places but overall it is fine.  We cross 85 and stay on 35 to Squatec for lunch.  It is so nice today, we decide on a little bigger loop.  We will stay on 35 to Rimouski.

This section of 35 is fine but about 10 miles before St Narcisse we come across a broken groomer.  There are three sleds there with workers and tools.  One guy is working on the machine.  As we slowly go around, we notice a big yellow stain.  Oh  oh!  Looks like hydraulic fluid to me.  The trail is still in great shape.  I'm surprised that they were grooming.

We pick up 5 at Rimouski and turn east.  This is not good.  Wow!  This hasn't been groomed since last week.  The weekend traffic has taken its toll and it shows.  About 5 miles down the trail and there it is.  Another broken groomer parked on the trail.  Well, that answers why this is so rough.  Another 10 miles or so and here comes the savior, a groomer dragging his drag.  Looks like the reinforcements are on the way.  The trail is better now.  After Relais L'Etang the trail is reborn.  It is now back to Quebec standards and off goes Sandi.  We are now back up to speed and on our way home.  Smooth trails all the way to the Universal.

What a nice way to end the trip.  We did have a few miles of bumps but groomers do break.  This is our last day for this trip.  We met Grampsledder, Oilman, JagMan, we saw McStar and crew, NekSldr, MikeRider of course and got to ride with JAK.  Sorry if we forgot to mention anybody.  What a great three days.  

If there isn't another ride this season, it was great seeing everyone and have a great short summer.  Be safe folks.

Jack & Sandi

I too am amongst the ranks that headed for home and have to call it a season. What a great year with old friends and new. Trails were the best and even better when shared with friends.

We need to give Quebec nine months to get their wine inventories restocked!e

mik

20 hours ago, revct1 said:

This morning JAK needs a riding partner.  Glad to have you ride along with us JAK.  The sky is blue, the wind has calmed down and the temperature is a little warmer than it has been.  So we are off on 5 east, just groomed, to the little connector to 526, just groomed to 35 to Pohenegamook, groomed the day before.  Here we stay on 35 which brings us back to 85 at St Louis du Ha Ha.  This piece of 35 has a few icy places but overall it is fine.  We cross 85 and stay on 35 to Squatec for lunch.  It is so nice today, we decide on a little bigger loop.  We will stay on 35 to Rimouski.

This section of 35 is fine but about 10 miles before St Narcisse we come across a broken groomer.  There are three sleds there with workers and tools.  One guy is working on the machine.  As we slowly go around, we notice a big yellow stain.  Oh  oh!  Looks like hydraulic fluid to me.  The trail is still in great shape.  I'm surprised that they were grooming.

We pick up 5 at Rimouski and turn east.  This is not good.  Wow!  This hasn't been groomed since last week.  The weekend traffic has taken its toll and it shows.  About 5 miles down the trail and there it is.  Another broken groomer parked on the trail.  Well, that answers why this is so rough.  Another 10 miles or so and here comes the savior, a groomer dragging his drag.  Looks like the reinforcements are on the way.  The trail is better now.  After Relais L'Etang the trail is reborn.  It is now back to Quebec standards and off goes Sandi.  We are now back up to speed and on our way home.  Smooth trails all the way to the Universal.

What a nice way to end the trip.  We did have a few miles of bumps but groomers do break.  This is our last day for this trip.  We met Grampsledder, Oilman, JagMan, we saw McStar and crew, NekSldr, MikeRider of course and got to ride with JAK.  Sorry if we forgot to mention anybody.  What a great three days.  

If there isn't another ride this season, it was great seeing everyone and have a great short summer.  Be safe folks.

Jack & Sandi

Jack, I am totally amazed at how you remember all those details and am still trying to figure out how your petite wife throws that 1200 around with what seems like so little effort. Take care folks and have a great summer.

On 3/4/2017 at 6:05 PM, revct1 said:

Last night we are eating in the restaurant and see the groomer making a pass.  This is a good sign!

This morning  its overcast, -20C and very windy.  The calendar says March 4th but the conditions say February 4th.  The groomers were out in force last night.  A lot of green on the map.  We decide to take 5 east and then circle back on 35 to 85.

Sandi and I head out and the trail is nice.  We get to trail 5 and turn left.  The open fields are pretty windy.  Its trying to blow us right off the trail.  No drifting, just a lot of wind.  We get into the woods and its much better.  The trail is really good.  We book along and get to Relais Trois Pistoles.  It must be race day here.  The lot is full, there is an excavator out on the drag strip and a lot of people and sleds around.  No time to stop here.  We keep on running.  A few sleds coming towards us.  Maybe going to the races.  The power lines weren't groomed last night but the trail is still good.  Just a little character in the trail, no big bumps.  Time to warm up at Relais L'Etang.  Only a few sleds here.  We like to take a stop here even if it is just to have a coffee / chocolate.  A few sleds pull in while we are here.  A couple of guys grabbing beers at the bar.  Its 10:00 AM?  No beer for us.  That can wait until we are back in the hotel.

Back on the sleds and keep heading east.  We get to 35 and this looks good too.  Now we are away from the St Lawrence and more in the woods.  The wind only kicks up a little when we get into a field.  No drifts.  The snow is quite a bit fluffier here than it was back in RDL.  This area looks like they got 8-10 inches where RDL was more like 4-6.  We haven't come across too many sleds today.  This 35 is such a nice trail.  We are running along the section that parallels the little river.  Nice rolling hills and gentle curves.  Good trail.

Heading towards Squatec and we get to where 546 goes straight and 35 goes left.  Last trip we took 35, this time its 546.  A few twisties in the woods and then the trail opens up and its a nice trail.  I haven't been on this in a long time.  A very pleasant surprise.  We get to Squatec and have lunch at the small diner in town.  Two two-uppers here.  We have lunch and warm up a bit.  Its a nice little lunch stop.

We are back on the sleds and still on 35 heading west.  This is still in good shape.  As we get up in elevation, the wind picks up again.  Still in the woods so its not too bad.  We cruise on into St Louis du Ha! Ha!  What a name for a town.  We turn right on 85 and start the final leg back to the Universal.  As always this is nice.  Not fresh groomed but smooth with a bunch of tracks on it.  We go by Relais Adventurer and notice a lot of sleds here.  The drag strip was just manicured today.  I'll bet they are having a big event tomorrow.

Back home at the Universal.  Another nice ride in RDL land.  Hoping to meet a few other QuebecRider folks tonight.  Have a great night and we hope you can get one more trip in.  The riding is still great here, Gaspe and up at Lac St Jean.

Jack & Sandi

Last ride yesterday. Trails were great everywhere. Snowing moderately but nice riding snow as it was dry. Ran out 526 to 35 to Pogonamook (sp) lake and up the lake to Plien Air for lunch. Apparently they had a fire last week and are closed. Got back on the lake and ran to the end. Looped up 544 and stopped into Mook Club which had 5 sleds out front. Went in for a coffee. Closed during the week but the guys were great. 65-70 year old guys who ride together every Tuesday off trail and then to this Mook club. Pretty cool.Great guys.

left there and swung back to Chevaliar Frontier club for lunch...the one that looks to be made from side by side quonset huts. Awesome spot and food. Bad thing is it changed to freezing rain while there so we cut the days route short. Continued to St Louis du ha and back 85. Stopped at another club off 85 about 30 miles from the Universel to clear the visors. Round type glass front building with a fancy bar. Forget the name. Had a coffee there and when we left it had essentially stopped and riding was great heading back. Logged 136 miles. Loaded right up so we didnt have to this am. Glad because the parking lot is a skating rink.

We had a blast. The sledding was mint. Hotel was great. People were awesome. 100 percent we will do a similar trip next year here ! It seems to be the holy grail of trail riding from what we saw. :-)

Many thanks to all who post info here. It made for a really great trip for us.

Thanks for the great riding in the RDL area. Big shout out to all the clubs in the area that do a great job, to allow us riders to have smooth trails. Just unreal. Always love traveling through this area. Want to thank Mikerider, JAK, Jagman56 for some great riding, with some great guys who enjoy the sport as much as I do. Appreciate the help that you gave me. Sled ran mint after that one overheat. Thanks JAK for following in behind. Hope to see you guys again next year. I think my brother and another guy are going to try to do one more trip around the 3/20/17. Prolly north of the River, but we will go where ever the best conditions are at that time. Also thank you Jack & Sandi for inviting us to dinner and breakfast with some good insight. Hope to see you guys out there agin as well. Hope everybody keeps in touch. Thanks

Oilman

1 hour ago, gowser said:

Praying to the weather gods. Hoping things don't deteriorate too badly. Locked, loaded and heading to the Universal tomorrow for the weekend. Will keep the thread rolling as things unfold.

I would be very surprised if you don't find the conditions good to excellent.  It is going to take more than a little drizzle to wash all the snow away.  Have a great ride.

Jack & Sandi

3 hours ago, gowser said:

Praying to the weather gods. Hoping things don't deteriorate too badly. Locked, loaded and heading to the Universal tomorrow for the weekend. Will keep the thread rolling as things unfold.

I think you will be good looking around this morning there. To be safe I would advise making sure you guys have scratchers in case you need them. Not sure if you have them. If not I would recommend Trail Blizzers. Several good ones out there now.

Id guess they will get snow but scratchers are a blessing when you need them and your day isnt jammed up waiting to cool down. Its that time of year !

4 hours ago, gowser said:

Just trailered and checked in to the Unversal . Warmday today got to plus 8 Celsius. Have talked to a few guys arriving by sled tonight and say trails are all good! Parking is at a premium here holy cow!! 

If I left home right now I could be there for a 9:00 AM start.

The weather forecast looks great for the next 5 days. cold enough the trails should stayed setup if groomed.

Have a great ride.

16 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

If I left home right now I could be there for a 9:00 AM start.

The weather forecast looks great for the next 5 days. cold enough the trails should stayed setup if groomed.

Have a great ride.

974 km come on down. Going to try and catch up with Linda , another local from our hometown down here! The more the merrier.

At breakfast this morning we spoke with several people who were calling it quits and heading home because of the rain that was falling. We looked at our weather apps and decided to give it a try. All I can say is WOW, did we ever make the right decision. Headed east on 5, looked like it had just been groomed overnight, took a right onto green trail 565 it was perfect a few inches of crusty new snow and not a single sled track on it. Then a right onto green trail 571 to Squatec for lunch. We back tracked to a left onto green trail 544, again new snow and no other tracks but ours. Finished up on 85 back to the Universal for the best 160 miles of riding this year. This place, the Universal is great, nice rooms, great meal plan, super easy access to the trails. A very easy road crossing to the those great trails. As Arnold say, I'll be back!!

10 hours ago, Streamer said:

At breakfast this morning we spoke with several people who were calling it quits and heading home because of the rain that was falling. We looked at our weather apps and decided to give it a try. All I can say is WOW, did we ever make the right decision. Headed east on 5, looked like it had just been groomed overnight, took a right onto green trail 565 it was perfect a few inches of crusty new snow and not a single sled track on it. Then a right onto green trail 571 to Squatec for lunch. We back tracked to a left onto green trail 544, again new snow and no other tracks but ours. Finished up on 85 back to the Universal for the best 160 miles of riding this year. This place, the Universal is great, nice rooms, great meal plan, super easy access to the trails. A very easy road crossing to the those great trails. As Arnold say, I'll be back!!

Steamer we go the end of March every year, only once did we get skunked, usually tons of snow groomed and nobody at all riding. Last year we left RDL on 4/6 we were the only truck in the lot... The parking lots and streets are bare but who cares.

R D L 4 6 16.JPG

Edited by Phil 1
Add photo

10 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

Steamer we go the end of March every year, only once did we get skunked, usually tons of snow groomed and nobody at all riding. Last year we left RDL on 4/6 we were the only truck in the lot... The parking lots and streets are bare but who cares.

R D L 4 6 16.JPG

phil.... you should never give jg shit about foot prints in his pics...L.O.L..

Just want to pass on some tips about staying in Riviere du Loup.

If you stay often at the Universal Hotel, sign up for reward points. I get about three free days each season based on points.

If you get massages at the Universal Spa, get the frequent flyer card. Took me quite a few years, but every tenth massage is free.

Universal Spa: outdoor hot tubs, sauna, massages, etc.

Funnest restaurant in town: La Cage au Sports on a hockey game night (and best burger in Quebec and best Poutine in Quebec)

Best restaurant in Town: Levesque Hotel (bring the wife type place)

Best wine in town: Hotel Levesque  Best Chardonay ever, and be sure to have the 'Sexy Bomb Wine'  

Rainy Day Visits: SkiDoo shop, Polaris shop, lunch at RDL sled clubhouse, old section of RDL (very mini Quebec City, full of ice sculptures), Indoor mall (known for upcoming                   women's styling trends).

Best Trail:  #35  section east of Squatec along river in Zek for about 35 miles

Best Clubhouse: Tie: Pohenegemook (place with two arches on #35) and Hibioux on #5, Honorable mention: Explorateurs on #526 at end of RR bed #35

Best trail Restaurants: New place in Squatec (unk name, awesome frites) and place on lake on #571 outside St. Pamphille (unk name) great burger, nice decor

Best Shortcut: Right on 526 behind Universel, Thru the Mikerider's Memorial Tunnels, and keep making lefts on the Mikerider's Beltway to trail #5

mike

Very good Mike.  I heard that Sexy Bomb Wine can sneak up on you.  

You shouldn't have said anything about trail 35.  That's one of Sandi's favorite trails.  

The restaurants in Squatec are Restaurant St Michel (a small cantin type) and Restaurant la Belle Epoque (a little larger and more recently remodeled).  The restaurants are very close to each other.

The restaurant on trail 571 557 is Restaurant Lac de L'Est and it is on Lac de L'Est.  It is about 1 mile off the trail.

Thanks for mentioning the other items.  I didn't know about the points at the Universal and we have been going there many years.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1
Change the trail number from 571 to 557

Great info Mike and Jack.

I was curious which clubhouses were the best....we hit those except Hiboiux. Next time. 

We also liked 3 Pistols and the RDL one. Im sure there are some others that are either just cool and/or serve great food. Exploratours sure had a great Steak Poutine. 😀