2017 RDL Conditions

snowdogs

Update > The 1200 lives on to be ridden another season!

We stopped at the dealer on the way home yesterday.  Sandi had sent them an e-mail earlier so they had some basic info.  At the dealership, Sandi's sled starts right up and sounds fine.  I pull it into the garage and up onto the lift.  The mechanic hooks the chain lift to the back bumper and picks it up.  He is slowly rotating the track by hand and ah ha!  In french, he points to a missing stud.  Now he picks the sled up higher and looks at the heat exchanger.  That looks fine.  He now goes to the front of the tunnel in front of the drive axle to the little radiator bolted to the bulkhead.  There is a gouge in the radiator.  OK, now we know what happened.  The mechanic says that the one ply tracks aren't as strong as the older two ply tracks.  This sounds a little like Ray's trailer tires made in China! :bad:

So Sandi's sled is getting a new track and new radiator.  They are going to replace the drive axle bearings while it is apart.  She has 9,200 miles on it.  The sled will be ready to roll again.

It was good seeing fellow riders at the Universal, the Gutz guys, Phil, Scranton, Doonali and gang and anyone that I may have forgotten to mention.

This was probably our last trip for this season.  Have a great summer folks.

Jack & Sandi

Jack - we haven't met, but I enjoy all your posts and hope to cross paths in RDL next year.  I, too, have a CT plate, but mine is from 1971!

Anyway, when they put that sled back together, do yourself a favor and put an IceRipper track on it.  I am on my 3rd 1200 w IceRipper track and have put over 20K miles on them.  No holes in track (or my driveway) and smooth road crossings!

Good luck!!

GW

21 hours ago, gkw said:

Jack - we haven't met, but I enjoy all your posts and hope to cross paths in RDL next year.  I, too, have a CT plate, but mine is from 1971!

Anyway, when they put that sled back together, do yourself a favor and put an IceRipper track on it.  I am on my 3rd 1200 w IceRipper track and have put over 20K miles on them.  No holes in track (or my driveway) and smooth road crossings!

Good luck!!

GW

Hi Gary.  We had talked about an ice ripper track a number of times but Sandi feels more confident with the studs.  Neither one of us have had the opportunity to ride on an ice ripper so I can't compare.  The last time we pulled a stud was on her 2010 GSX.  I know that is one of the disadvantages of studs but it is worth it if Sandi feels safer.

Jack & Sandi

1 hour ago, revct1 said:

Hi Gary.  We had talked about an ice ripper track a number of times but Sandi feels more confident with the studs.  Neither one of us have had the opportunity to ride on an ice ripper so I can't compare.  The last time we pulled a stud was on her 2010 GSX.  I know that is one of the disadvantages of studs but it is worth it if Sandi feels safer.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack + Sandi, you have got to try the Ice Ripper it really is a great compromise for trail riders. Not as good as real studs, but they work well, you know you have them when you need them. Happy trails,  Steve

I have 96 down the center.....

lovedthem till yesterday when I noticed my rear middle idler chewed up.

the crew says I'm fine but it's rather disappointing 

all studs installed per doo's torque specs.  I took video and documented install and retorque.

retorqued after 500 miles

4000 miles on 850 now.....no trouble except for the idler.

i wonder if it's covered under warranty

lol

Day 1:  2 sleds leave RDL. Head down 526 to 85 south. Take 85 south to Degelis. Trail flat with 2-3 inches of Pow. From there take 571 north to Squatec. Few bumps but 7/10. Have coffee and then head on 35 west to trail 5 near Rimouski. Perfect trail , now 3-5 inches of Pow. Take 5 East to Mont Joli. Here again trails flat and groomed. 4-6 inches of Pow. Mint!! From there take 587 south to Amqui. Flat and fast. The new snow gets less as we head towards Amqui. 1-3 inches of Pow. Decide to head south/east on 5 down towards Albertville and check on clubhouse. Closed. Forgot it was Wednesday. Closed at 4:00 today. Head back north/west back to Amqui and get to hotel. Selecthotel. What a great day of riding. Snowed hard in the morning and then on/off until 2:00. After that sun came out and it was beautiful. Fields early in day were white out, but woods were fine. Saw maybe 5 sleds all day, got to love mid week in late March in Quebec. 260 miles for the day. Could have not asked for better conditions. All the dirt roads, road crossings, parking lots were frozen up again with snow on them. Looked like mid winter again. Off to Murdochville tomorrow. Here are some pics for today.

Bill

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2489.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2483.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

3 hours ago, 182ray said:

Dear Sandi,

You won't be disappointed if you get one 

sincerely

Ice Ripper track

Friends don't let friends use studs!

Drilling violent holes all thru a perfectly good track's cords?

Adding ridiculous weight to a factory spec's ratio?

Needlessly tearing up yours and others surfaces?

Having too much traction when you'd be happy to kick the rear a bit?

And never needing more than the Ripper's got for icy hills/etc?

Me sold for 4 years, and I put novices on the mutha-weight Yammis all the time.

My dealer says if you spring order a 2018 you can get the ice ripper free on certain models if you take the 3 year warranty instead of the 4 year warranty.

Jack, it might be better to just get Sandi a new 1200 X.  Happy wife AND ice ripper track!    

mike

This is my opinion and only mine. I have always had studs in my track and we have discovered a few things that I feel is very important.  I have a very special person that takes care of our sleds.  What we have found is over the course of the summer and previous winter the studs loosen up and we have to  tighten to the proper inch pounds. If a studs gets lose of course it is going to wear on the hole made for installing the studs. Some studs we have tightened a full turn to get back into proper specification. Only stud I have ever had pull out was on a 1995 sled with a thicker track. Only my opinion.  

Thanks for all the comments.  I didn't realize how many folks, that we know, are on ice rippers.  The honest opinions are one of the great things about QuebecRider.  This is only the second stud that has pulled thru in many years and many miles of riding.  I will also concede that in all of these miles, we have replaced a few wheels that were chewed up.  The dealer always tells Sandi it's because she drives too fast!  LOL

Thanks again.

Jack & Sandi

• 1 month later...

Ice Ripper on my Bomby, Ice Ripper on my Yammy. Bomby came with it from BRP and I put it on the Yammy.

Lost 2 tracks due to studs, both ripped on me. Fortunately I never threw a stud into a heat exchanger but both scenarios will leave you dead in the trail. There's a reason why the dealerships don't sell their sleds equipped with studs  but dealerships selling new sleds today equipped with the Ice Ripper tells it all and with (and here's the magic word) a warranty!!

I know I'm a little late replying and most likely your choice has been made by now Jack and Sandy but I just wanted to add my experience and opinion on the Ice Ripper vs Stud decision.

Good luck with your choice.