2017 RDL Conditions

snowdogs

Hi Steve,   That 4-Tec will love those trails. Heard you would be riding more across the border this year. Friend unloaded in St. George and headed east, said it was excellent. Ate at Momma Bears in Jackman last night on the way home, what an awesome meal.

And Jack and Sandy, always look forward to seeing you.

mike

Well, we made it.  We are at Motel Bernieres in St Nicholas.  Some days are a little more interesting than others.

This morning we check out and pack up the sleds.  Cloudy and comfortable.  We look at the grooming map and decide trail 5 looks like the best.  Not all groomed but more than 35 or 55.  We head down 75 and 5.  They're in good shape.  The first little river crossing is fine as we cruise along.  When we get to St Etienne, the trail has crossed the river on the auto bridge for years and here are signs pointing toward the river instead of the bridge.  Sandi stops and looks back at me.  There are signs and sled tracks, go for it.  Sandi drops down on the river and scoots across.  OK, its safe and I cross.  The trail keeps you away from most of the houses now.

5 hasn't changed much until the Shell gas station in St Gervais.  Here 5 makes a loop more around St Gervais instead of thru the town.  5 did go near a few houses and I remember signs saying the trail was in peril the last couple of years.  Well, trail 5 doesn't go there this year.  This maybe an example of when sledders don't stay on the trail.  The new piece of 5 is well marked.  No problems.

A few miles later we come to a road crossing.  I turn around and check my luggage.  I do this frequently because I don't trust the straps.  To my horror, one of my bags is missing.  The clothes can be replaced but my laptop is in the missing bag not to mention the evening bottle of beverage.  I look forward to tell Sandi and where's Sandi?  She saw me and she's across the road and a faint glimpse of her trail dust is settling in the field.  She's gone.  Now my heart's in my stomach.  Do I wait here?  It could be 20 minutes before Sandi looks back.  She knows I drop back sometimes so I can scoot back up to her.  I hate to back track and have her turn around and not be able to find me.  But what if the luggage is in the middle of the road waiting to get hit be a car or truck.  I have to break a cardinal rule and back track without waiting for Sandi.

I spin around leaving a big "K turn mark in the trail.  I head back carefully looking left and right.  Any ditches along the way, any bumps that may have thrown it off, bridges we crossed?  Oh don't let the luggage be down in a brook.  About 1 1/2 miles I see a two up sled coming towards me and slowing down.  Did they find it?  I stop and they start speaking French.  I point to the back of my sled and they nod their heads yes and point back down the trail.  Maybe this will be OK.  I wave and continue on.  As soon as I turn the next corner, there is the luggage, laying in the trail.  I stop and it looks intact.  It must have been dragged along the trail for awhile.  The clear plastic top is shattered, a couple of zippers are half open, one seam is torn open but the laptop is in there.  Yes!  Some snow packed around it but it looks like it survived.

I pick it up and strap it down to the sled but one strap is missing.  I look at my running board and there is the missing strap hooked in one of the cutouts.  Wow.

I turn around and start back.  Not too far along and I see a headlight coming towards me.  I slow down and look.  Yes that's Sandi.  I stop and she pulls over looking kind of "What's up?"  I explain and Sandi says we're stopping at the dealer in Montmagny to get netting or bungees.  Sounds good to me.

Now I'm  leading so Sandi can watch the luggage.  No issues to Montmagny.  We get one of the bungee type netting and stretch it over the luggage.  That's nice.  It fits very tight.  We top off at the gas station and off we go.  What a relief.

Trail  5 is in really good shape here.  We run along and I keep looking over my shoulder.  The netting is doing the trick.  Nothing is moving back there.  We stop at Relais Hiboux for a lunch break.

Only a few sleds here.  We relax and talk about the adventure.  Sandi has the same clips on her BRP luggage and they work fine for her.  I've always had an issue with the clips coming undone from the post.  I like the older style tie down that used the short straps and plastic buckle.  For now I'll keep the netting over the luggage.  I'm just glad the luggage and laptop weren't lost forever.  The beverage bottle wasn't broken either!

After lunch  we continue down 5.  The first section after Hiboux is very good but as we approach Club Mont Bleu, 5 gets a little rougher.  Not as nice as behind us.  We continue on and about 25 miles outside of RDL the trail gets better.  The rest of the ride in is good.  Here we are at the Universal.

A side note on mileage.  Last trip I managed to squeak out 175 miles on a tank of fuel.  On that trip my low fuel light came on at 147 miles.  Today I was playing a little more with the throttle and my low light came on at 122 miles.  So, the 850 can get good mileage but if you ride it for what it is designed for, maybe a little less MPG.

Thanks for following along.  Tomorrow we head to Amqui.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1
Add Motel Bernieres

13 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

Did I hear you right Jack, an 850 2 smoker can do 175 miles on a tank?  Light throttled that is i'm sure but really 175 miles? Holy hot tomally!!

That's right.  Last trip up we trucked to Roquemont St Raymond and rode to the Sag in Chicoutimi.  We put $20 in Sandi's 1200 at Mont Apica and I made it to the Ultramar just before the Sag.  175 miles on one tank 35 liters.  Obviously I wasn't running hard and it was a mix of conditions.  The lower part of 73 was only one sled wide so we were in some fluffy stuff.  From L'Etape up the trail was much better so it was good conditions.  The tank is rated at 36 liters.  We have a gas caddy this year as back up.

Jack & Sandi

6 minutes ago, revct1 said:

That's right.  Last trip up we trucked to Roquemont St Raymond and rode to the Sag in Chicoutimi.  We put $20 in Sandi's 1200 at Mont Apica and I made it to the Ultramar just before the Sag.  175 miles on one tank 35 liters.  Obviously I wasn't running hard and it was a mix of conditions.  The lower part of 73 was only one sled wide so we were in some fluffy stuff.  From L'Etape up the trail was much better so it was good conditions.  The tank is rated at 36 liters.  We have a gas caddy this year as back up.

Jack & Sandi

That is incredable, BRP has really stepped it up a notch in their 2 smokers.

Holy smokers

Must be really tough Jack holding back on that throttle with all those horseys ready to rumble.

1 hour ago, Trailblazer said:

Did I hear you right Jack, an 850 2 smoker can do 175 miles on a tank?  Light throttled that is i'm sure but really 175 miles? Holy hot tomally!!

B J is getting incredible mileage with his 850... Now the question is; tick, tick, tick???:unknw:

Hi Jack , Wow ! glad you found the bag , laptop , and beverage hope that's all the drama over for this trip.  Pat said she hopes you didn't lose the rib tickets ether lol.

all the best to sandi and you . G&P

8 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

B J is getting incredible mileage with his 850... Now the question is; tick, tick, tick???:unknw:

Hi Phil.  I'm pretty confident that the 850 will  "live" up to the expectations.  From all that I've read, BRP put a lot of thought into the design on this motor.  My last two 800's went 13,000 and 15,000 miles with out a rebuild.  I don't think I'll wear the 850 out.

Jack & Sandi

Jack and Sandi, Great report and always an adventure,  Certainly know that feeling of gear coming off the back. Not sure if you have checked these straps out but they are the best. In addition to the normal tie down procedures, I always have a couple of these going over the top as a safety back up.  They actually are really good as the primary tie down strap as well. Very well built, rugged and they work.

Enjoy your trip, and keep those great reports coming

Happy trails

RR

IMG_0456.JPG

25 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Hi Phil.  I'm pretty confident that the 850 will  "live" up to the expectations.  From all that I've read, BRP put a lot of thought into the design on this motor.  My last two 800's went 13,000 and 15,000 miles with out a rebuild.  I don't think I'll wear the 850 out.

Jack & Sandi

Jack you are the basis of our conversation when we speak of 800 E Tech life. Unfortunately few get that kind of motor life; B J will say, saw 113 on that straight. Get them good and hot on piston alley and I bet you can shorten their life. I also think fuel quality in Quebec is an issue.

The 850 should be a different story even for motor heads, crank, oiling, piston and rings greatly improved, time will tell. 

27 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

Jack you are the basis of our conversation when we speak of 800 E Tech life. Unfortunately few get that kind of motor life; B J will say, saw 113 on that straight. Get them good and hot on piston alley and I bet you can shorten their life. I also think fuel quality in Quebec is an issue.

The 850 should be a different story even for motor heads, crank, oiling, piston and rings greatly improved, time will tell. 

I agree on the heat issue with the two strokes.  We are 100% trail riding and for the most part aren't WOT very often.  I think the heat from the clutch on previous two strokes dries out the crank seal and once the seal lets air in, the mixture leans out and kaboom.  The sleds that are off trail are working a lot harder and creating more heat in the clutch that get transferred thru the crank.

My humble 2¢.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1

30 minutes ago, revct1 said:

I agree on the heat issue with the two strokes.  We are 100% trail riding and for the most part aren't WOT very often.  I think the heat from the clutch on previous two strokes dries out the crank seal and once the seal lets air in, the mixture leans out and kaboom.  The sleds that are off trail are working a lot harder and creating more heat in the clutch that get transferred thru the crank.

My humble 2¢.

Jack & Sandi

Having depended on Isoflex grease to lubricate main bearing was a bad idea from the start. With oil now being injected to these critical parts we should see improvement. It all boils back to meeting E P A standards. 1 quart of oil in 800 miles!!! In the old days we added a quart to 5 gallons and they never blew, you needed a trailer full of spark plugs but that is a different topic.

Now go get some miles. :)

13 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Jack and Sandi, Great report and always an adventure,  Certainly know that feeling of gear coming off the back. Not sure if you have checked these straps out but they are the best. In addition to the normal tie down procedures, I always have a couple of these going over the top as a safety back up.  They actually are really good as the primary tie down strap as well. Very well built, rugged and they work.

Enjoy your trip, and keep those great reports coming

Happy trails

RR

Those straps look good.  I need something for peace of mind.  Thanks RR.

Jack & Sandi

This morning we leave the Universal heading east for Amqui.  It is overcast and a little breezy.  The groomer map shows most of trail 5 was groomed.  Guess what trail we are taking.  Sandi is in the lead and it looks like only one sled got out before us.  The trail is perfect.  This is Quebec at her best.   In the fields the loose snow has blown in over and there is no trace  of the trail, only the magic red stakes poking up thru the white ground.  Today is a day we depend on the stakes.  The surface is smooth and crisp.  The sleds are handling superbly.  Sandi stops in the parking lot of the Trois Pistoles Relais, looks at me and points down the trail.  No pee break today, the trail is great.

Along the power lines a little snow has drifted in over the fresh groomed trail.  A few sled tracks ahead of us now.  I always like this run.  The power lines are so much fun.

We pull into Relais L'Etang before Rimouski.  Only a couple of sleds here but its early.  I remember when this was built.  What an improvement over the old rickety place.  We see the snow blowing around pretty good now.  The wind is really picking up.  We were planning on taking 578 to Mont Joli but those open fields might be tough going.

We leave the Relais and when we get to Rimouski where the junction of 35 is, formerly 548, we decide to stay inland away from the St Laurent and take 35 instead of going down 578.  Trail 35 joins back up with 5.  In the woods this is good but out in the fields the snow has drifted.  When we get to the junction of 587, Sandi says she wants to take 587 instead of going to Mont Joli.  I don't know which is better, down by the river on 5 or going over the mountain on 587 to Amqui.  OK Sandi wants 587, 587 it is.

A few miles in the wind is really picking up and the drifts are getting a little more challenging.  We keep on motoring.  Sandi says I can go first for a change.  OK.  My turn.  The next ten or fifteen miles are tough.  A few small groups of sleds coming from the other direction.  Just enough to leave marks and keep the trail visible.  I see the mountain off in the distance and the many wind mills.  Oh I hope 578 wasn't a bad decision going over the mountain.  We start climbing and it turns out to be really good.  Most of this is protected by the trees.  No open fields in the mountain.  The trail follows the roads that were cut to bring the enormous wind mills to to ridge.  This is fine.  What a sight these towering structures are.  A lot of them aren't spinning.  I wonder if they are still being setup?

The 2017 is my first "X" Renegade with the fancy dash.  I scroll thru and select the altimeter.  This is cool.  It changes every 100' in elevation.  I don't know how accurate it is but it reached 3,400' and then started dropping down.  We have reached the top and start our descent.  Sleds approaching from the rear.  We slow down and let them by.  Five younger ones on mountain sleds.  Well, most are younger from my perspective now.  I was taught if sleds catch up to you, they are going faster.  Be nice and let them pass.  We let them pass and we also let them open up the trail for us.

We ride down the rest of the way and get into Amqui.  We find the L'Ambassadeur alright but getting to the gas station, that was difficult.  I missed the sign on the way in and we end up riding the sidewalk into the center of town.  We are parked in front of the Subway.  I take the GPS and ask for fuel.  It says the station is 150' away.  I can't see it.  I ask a local and it is just out of sight around the corner.  We tank up and then go back to the hotel and check in.

We didn't fall off the trail and we are in safe and sound.  Not even lost luggage today.

Tomorrow we head back to RDL.  We will see what was groomed before we pick our path.

Jack & Sandi

21 hours ago, revct1 said:

Those straps look good.  I need something for peace of mind.  Thanks RR.

Jack & Sandi

Jack ,

those Rox straps work great I've been using the for about 5 years . I never even clip my saddle bags these hold them tight. I talked to the guy in British Columbia that has the distribution of these straps . They don't lose their elasticity when cold because the are made of 100% real rubber and not synthetic or recycled like bungee cords. 

Thanks David.  The BRP clips and posts drive me nuts.  The old strap and plastic lock I liked much better.  But Sandi doesn't have a problem with the new clips so it's probably me.  I am going to look into the Rox straps.

Jack & Sandi