Looking for advice for trip to Cote Nord?

Miles long

I'm heading up to Tadoussac this week and plan on doing a 10-12 day backpack trip across to. Blanc Sablon and possibly into Labrador if time permits. Any info I can gather from first hand experience as far as clean lodging, good food, libations and precautionary measures would be greatly appreciated!

Mile long, We plan to do this trip the end of February.  We are leaving Maine and riding that route out and around to Goose Bay, back to lab city and than home.

If you are planning to do this trip next week , you might find that the trail sections east of Sept Isle having very limited maintenance.  You may end up breaking long sections of trail depending on storm activity. So just be prepared for that.

The guy who knows the most about this trip and has continued on into Labrador is Early Rider. He is making the plans for our trip. If you have some specfic questions please pm me and I will get you get some answers.

Best regards

RR

Well the trip is off to a rough start, sled wouldn't fire up due to cold weather Sunday morning tried to jump start no luck and nothing's open here on a Sunday. I then decided to relocate to Les Coummins and stay at the Complexe Pelchat where services were located nearby. The owner drove me to a parts store where I purchased new battery went back to hotel and installed it yet still wouldn't fire. He was kind enough to help me offload into his heated garage where after 1 1/2,hours  of jumper cables and heat gun on motor was finally able to get it stared. Hit the trail at 11:am arrived in Baie Comeau at 6:pm . Couldn't find lodging with a restaurant or bar that was open rather disappointing for a town of this size.

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

54 minutes ago, Miles long said:

Well the trip is off to a rough start, sled wouldn't fire up due to cold weather Sunday morning tried to jump start no luck and nothing's open here on a Sunday. I then decided to relocate to Les Coummins and stay at the Complexe Pelchat where services were located nearby. The owner drove me to a parts store where I purchased new battery went back to hotel and installed it yet still wouldn't fire. He was kind enough to help me offload into his heated garage where after 1 1/2,hours  of jumper cables and heat gun on motor was finally able to get it stared. Hit the trail at 11:am arrived in Baie Comeau at 6:pm . Couldn't find lodging with a restaurant or bar that was open rather disappointing for a town of this size.

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

How was the trail to Baie Come?

Hi Miles Long.  Welcome to QuebecRider.  RoadRunner is the best source for info out there.

We have only been as far as Havre St Pierre.  Baie Comeau to Sept Iles is usually a very nice ride.  Well kept trails.  The next leg to Havre St Pierre was a little less marked and not as many signs.  Not many towns or services.  After Havre St Pierre I have heard that it gets more remote with services further apart.

Give us a little background so we can follow you on the thread.  How many people, what kind of sleds, has anyone in the group been out there before?

We love to read about the adventures we embark on.  We all wish you the best.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1

9 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Hi Miles Long.  Welcome to QuebecRider.  RoadRunner is the best source for info out there.

We have only been as far as Havre St Pierre.  Baie Comeau to Sept Iles is usually a very nice ride.  Well kept trails.  The next leg to Havre St Pierre was a little less marked and not as many signs.  Not many towns or services.  After Havre St Pierre I have heard that it gets more remote with services further apart.

Give us a little background so we can follow you on the thread.  How many people, what kind of sleds, has anyone in the group been out there before?

We love to read about the adventures we embark on.  We all wish you the best.

Jack & Sandi

2015 Backcountry Etec started the trip with 6580 miles should click 7000 by end of day. 2 strokes are the only way ride! No lead sleds in my immediate future! Also riding solo on this trip . It's my first ride in Quebec and certainly won't be my last. The scenery and terrain are very much to my liking! Sitting in Port Cartier right now having a late lunch . I plan on arriving in Sept Illes this evening not nearly as far as I'd hoped. It's hard to make good time in such hilly terrain, also broke trail for probally 30 miles of the way through 6"-8" of fresh with no signs of recent tracks.

You are on a good machine but I see you are riding solo and it is your first ride in Quebec.  You know your abilities better than anybody else.  I have no idea what your experience is but services are far apart and cell phones don't always pick up a tower out there.  Stay in touch.

Jack & Sandi

I am curious Miles Long if you are carrying a sat phone or a Spot? They call Labrador the Big Land for a reason it is a vast unforgiving beautiful place. The area you are headed toward is very isolated and there are no services or 911 service. You are on your own if anything happens. This is not a groomed trail ride this is non groomed, non marked wilderness. You need to review some posts from people like Early Rider and Road Runner and see what they have been through and the amount of preparation and gear they take with them. This winter marks 50 years that I have been sledding and I would love to do the ride you are contemplating but there is no way I would ever attempt that route by myself.

I have an aviation background and we have a saying "Learn from the mistakes of others you will never live long enough to make them all yourself."

"It's hard to make good time in such hilly terrain, also broke trail for probally 30 miles of the way through 6"-8" of fresh with no signs of recent tracks." This is just the beginning Miles Long.

All I am saying is you need to consider the risks you are about to take very very carefully!

Andy

1 hour ago, Miles long said:

2015 Backcountry Etec started the trip with 6580 miles should click 7000 by end of day. 2 strokes are the only way ride! No lead sleds in my immediate future! Also riding solo on this trip . It's my first ride in Quebec and certainly won't be my last. The scenery and terrain are very much to my liking! Sitting in Port Cartier right now having a late lunch . I plan on arriving in Sept Illes this evening not nearly as far as I'd hoped. It's hard to make good time in such hilly terrain, also broke trail for probally 30 miles of the way through 6"-8" of fresh with no signs of recent tracks.

Godspeed!

u have balls much bigger than mine.

Please listen to the veterans insight posted above.

FYI

calling for the potential of 40cm of snow in sept iLies.

Miles...wishng you success in your adventure. Hopefully I won't be seeing the story about the search for you on TV or in the Newspaper. 

Be Smart, cause going alone certainly is not that. 

Edited by iceman

2 hours ago, Andyman said:

I am curious Miles Long if you are carrying a sat phone or a Spot? They call Labrador the Big Land for a reason it is a vast unforgiving beautiful place. The area you are headed toward is very isolated and there are no services or 911 service. You are on your own if anything happens. This is not a groomed trail ride this is non groomed, non marked wilderness. You need to review some posts from people like Early Rider and Road Runner and see what they have been through and the amount of preparation and gear they take with them. This winter marks 50 years that I have been sledding and I would love to do the ride you are contemplating but there is no way I would ever attempt that route by myself.

I have an aviation background and we have a saying "Learn from the mistakes of others you will never live long enough to make them all yourself."

"It's hard to make good time in such hilly terrain, also broke trail for probally 30 miles of the way through 6"-8" of fresh with no signs of recent tracks." This is just the beginning Miles Long.

All I am saying is you need to consider the risks you are about to take very very carefully!

Andy

I'm carrying a satellite phone and a GPS  with the ability to use. If it gets to the point where I'm not comfortable preceding forward I'd have no issues turning tale and heading back. Originally was hoping to make it to Blanc Sablon and possibly further East into Labrador but with a delayed start and less mileage per day than I had planned for it's not likely to happen but will give  me insight into moving further along in future trips out this way.