Looking for advice for trip to Cote Nord?

Miles long

51 minutes ago, Miles long said:

The road less traveled!

And also the road with less services.  Thanks for staying in touch with us Miles.  We are all passionate about snowmobiling and know our limits.  You apparently know yours and that's refreshing to all of us that have been posting and reading about your adventure.  We would much rather meet you on the trail or in the hotel than read about you in a bad situation.  Good choice you made.

Jack & Sandi

9 minutes ago, actionjack said:

Great adventure. Glad you're safe. Gotta be tough to find a friend with such a strong sense of adventure but you need a riding partner or partners or at least a come-along or winch.  Roll top dry bags or freezer zip locks.

I'm  heading to the UP of Michigan early next week to meet up with 14 friends for an annual trip. I'm fairly certain I've 3 of them convinced to run the pedestrian class at Cains Quest next year if they have enough participation to have it. The event organizers need to drum up interest for this event to make it a reality which is one of the reasons I decided to start riding up in these parts to get a little feel for what hopefully the future holds. I've dry bags collecting dust in the closet they will be shaken off before the next trip. Thanks for the tips!

To get you back just pack your clothes in garbage bags before putting them in the saddlebags.Works well to keep my things dry and pack a few heavy duty 55 gallon ones to use as an emergency rain suit.Enjoy the rest of your trip.

7 hours ago, smclelan said:

You have had an adventure.  Sounds like you enjoyed yourself even if you didn't get as far as originally planned.  "Life is an Adventure, Live the Adventure"!!

I enjoyed this trip immensely! If it weren't for hip replacement surgery on the 25th of this month I would certainly venture back on up here this season much wiser and better prepared to travel further East than my first attempt. I appreciate all of the words of wisdom and encouragement , hopefully everyone here has a safe and enjoyable sledding season  unfortunately I'll be watching from the sidelines, Rock on!

I did that hip replacement last March. I feel so much better.  I was back to work in may and laying Concrete blocks in July.  Practiced riding skills on a skid steer and a excavator. I do a lot of stretching just laying in bed at night. I did have someone for support because of fear of the unknown.  I leaving tomorrow for my first ride of season and I think it will be easier than any of the last few years. I guess what I am saying is there definitely riding a snowmobile after hip replacement.  Get a good doctor and I sure we'll hear from you next year. 

3 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

I did that hip replacement last March. I feel so much better.  I was back to work in may and laying Concrete blocks in July.  Practiced riding skills on a skid steer and a excavator. I do a lot of stretching just laying in bed at night. I did have someone for support because of fear of the unknown.  I leaving tomorrow for my first ride of season and I think it will be easier than any of the last few years. I guess what I am saying is there definitely riding a snowmobile after hip replacement.  Get a good doctor and I sure we'll hear from you next year. 

Thanks for the encouragement and good luck with your trip! I've spoken to 2 other sledders who've had this procedure and they told me they were back in the saddle within weeks.

Well 270 miles and I feel great. No leg or hip soreness.  First time in years I can swing my leg over the seat. Leaving in a week or so for gaspe for how ever it takes to get around the point. Snowmobiling is so much fun. Good luck with the hip replacement. 

On 1/17/2017 at 6:31 AM, Miles long said:

Thanks for the encouragement and good luck with your trip! I've spoken to 2 other sledders who've had this procedure and they told me they were back in the saddle within weeks.

Me too! Had it done in '88 after my dirt bike vs car encounter, a couple of revisions since. Get the locking cup! Dislocation's a drag.

Kept the wifey convinced the whole while that as long as there's a gas tank between my knees I'm safe! You will be too!

We took a stab at Mother Nature up there last year. Definitely a rush:  http://www.quebecrider.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4214-cote-nord-team-iceman-6-on-3/&