Lake MacDonald /Montcalm

Trailblazer

Grumpy and I set out today to explore a new trail that came to my attention from CNC in a previous post. 

Given the rain earlier this week I decided not to take a chance leaving from the yard and running into unreadable conditions so the trailer it is to Rigaud and meet up with an old friend for our exploration.

We depart Rigaud on the 317 heading to Ontario but short of there we head north onto local trail to Pointe Fortune then ride through the Parc on the Ontario side then jump on the river and cross at Cushing, north again on local to the 3 then west to 317. Up to this point we were gifted with the trails. 317 north through the mountains up to Lake MacDonald was an Eco mode trail twisty like a bugger, lake was staked and so are all the others.Then up to the new trail that bridges the 317 to what was the 43 and now is a local. Okay we made the connection now it's a u turn back to the Hotel du Chasseur but before leaving we make a quick call to confirm if they are selling gas this year, bingo! We got gas and a lunch waiting for us. 

Afterwards heading back we come across a huge potato in the trail as many call it but by all means it is NO PATATO, a watermelon on steroids more like.

250 Klms for the afternoon run.

IMG_4761.PNG

IMG_4764.PNG

IMG_4760.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4759.JPG

Edited by Trailblazer

Well you should have told me you were going to try that trail today. 

My original plan was to wait for a friend to come from Lake Macdonald to Montcalm on the new trail and then we were going to head to st Remi and beyond maybe Labelle. His sled was running fine getting it out of his garage but after stoping it it was dead so change of plans I went over that trail to lake Macdonald about 11:00 am to give him a hand and back to Montcalm about  2:00 or 3:00 pm.  

Damn......we were on the lake taking a break at noon, did out u turn at the boulevard in Weir around 1sh. Clocked the new trail at 10 Klms long, needs a little touch up on the grooming we found but the trail itself was far better than below the lake.

Is that trail part of Diablo Rouge club? Cuz I noticed the Hibou Blanc club groomed right by it.

I am heading that way again next week end, most likely late on Friday afternoon, heading to the chalet for the week end. I could PM you later during the week.

Yes trail is a little tight and needs more work but beats running back roads. Hebou Blanc grooms that a through the village of weir and a little ways out the other side then Diablo Rouge takes over. Two ways to go once you cross a railway bridge on the far side of Weir, cross the road on an angle back toward Weir and the trail goes up a hill and up behind some houses and comes back out to cross the road again or turn left after the bridge and go down onto the lake stay close to the bushes as you get on the lake and follow the tracks parallel to the shore and you come up through a field to the  Diablo Rouge trail. I find Diablo does a far better job of grooming, much more often and very quick to make almost daily announcements on Face book on their conditions. Club with deeper pockets better equipment maybe, I don't know.

Yes PM me I'm 5 minutes from wher the trail comes out the far side of Weir.

Big time scary patato Alain that's for sure.

Yes sir the trails are really starting to shape in the lower Laurentians and the Outaouais, lakes and river crossings too, it was just confirmed yesterday the Rigaud/St.Placide crossing and Rigaud/Vaudreuil regional 317/312 has been staked.

Looking to confirm the Lefebvre/Fasset crossing near Montebello.

Edited by Trailblazer

yes we had a great day out  , and nice to try that new trail  after the 43  has been closed for years now . less business for 16 island and st adoulfe de howard does not care for  sleds anymore , relais des pines will lose too. . we need to find a place to eat in st remi or near by.. Trailblazer , we have to hookup a little more often

2 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

Relais de Pins still has the atvs going through, extra business.

I have a resto in the trunk, chez JG. PJ sandwiches and boiled eggs mmm.....

The relais des pin is kinda out of the way the way the trails got shuffled. Now called fort west. The  guy who owns it now had the bad luck of buying it just before two major trails closed. Still served food on weekends and can rustle up soup and a grilled cheese in the week. His main business is paintball and rents space for a dog sled tour operation.