things are shaping up nicely in the upper gatineau

Mid Range

first ride on xmas eve.....turn back after 20 kms.....railroad bed was brownish/greyish in many places.Things were much better on new year's eve. Last week we got hammered with 40 45 cms of snow. NOW........we are in business. 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow in the area. Lakes are not safe yet. Saw the trail warden from the FCMQ. They are sporting yellow jackets and it's zero tolerance with them. Alright the season has started.

DSC00229.JPG

DSC00230.JPG

Hi Mid Range

Can you tell me what the trails are like from Shawville up to Maniwaki. We've had a complete melt down here in S Ontario. About 4 hour drive for us to Shawville.

i have my QC permit , how busy has your area gotten the past couple years on the free weekend with an influx of ONtario riders? Is one of the trails leading up to Maniwaki a rail line. I'm not a big fan of rail lines unless trying to get from point A to B quickly. Would rather be riding the twisties.

The main question is do you expect your area to be a total zoo for the free weekend. I haven't checked but imagine lodging is already booked full.

thanks Steve

Hey Jack!  Looking good in your area.  Our trip will be in Feb this year, not sure where.  Either Maniwaki or Gaspe.  Will let you know.

Hope all is well!!

9 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Hi Mid Range

Can you tell me what the trails are like from Shawville up to Maniwaki. We've had a complete melt down here in S Ontario. About 4 hour drive for us to Shawville.

i have my QC permit , how busy has your area gotten the past couple years on the free weekend with an influx of ONtario riders? Is one of the trails leading up to Maniwaki a rail line. I'm not a big fan of rail lines unless trying to get from point A to B quickly. Would rather be riding the twisties.

The main question is do you expect your area to be a total zoo for the free weekend. I haven't checked but imagine lodging is already booked full.

thanks Steve

Hi Steve, I don`t know what are the conditions like around Shawville. I don't ride that area but I assume they have good snow as well. PSDA is maintaining R311 up to TQ 13.

I would carefully check their trail conditions because according to their website some portion of R311 is closed  http://amp-psda.qc.ca/actions/showClubConditions?lg=en&page=sen&cid=240

Railroad bed(TQ 13) runs from Low to Maniwaki. As for the free weekend, I've been on  saddlebag trips during that weekend so I couldn't tell you but we are not overcrowded like st-zenon area. Since we are near the Ontario border, yes traffic might be heavier during that weekend.

As for lodging.....two places in Maniwaki

http://www.aubergedraveur.qc.ca/home/index_e.php

http://www.chateaulogue.com/home.html

another place out of town on the shores of the Baskatong reservoir on trail 322 is

http://pointedavid.ca/pointeadavid_home.html.

Do yourself a favor.....keep an eye on the weather........a prolonged mild spell on the way. Seems we can't avoid that shit every winter.

Hope that helps and best regards

Jack

1 hour ago, Sled Dog said:

Hey Jack!  Looking good in your area.  Our trip will be in Feb this year, not sure where.  Either Maniwaki or Gaspe.  Will let you know.

Hope all is well!!

Hi Rich

no shortage of snow around Maniwaki for the time being but the long range looks ugly.......let me know if you leave from Maniwaki......we will sip on a cold one.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:53 PM, Mid Range said:

first ride on xmas eve.....turn back after 20 kms.....railroad bed was brownish/greyish in many places.Things were much better on new year's eve. Last week we got hammered with 40 45 cms of snow. NOW........we are in business. 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow in the area. Lakes are not safe yet. Saw the trail warden from the FCMQ. They are sporting yellow jackets and it's zero tolerance with them. Alright the season has started.

DSC00229.JPG

DSC00230.JPG

I thought it is zero tolerance every in Quebec?

5 hours ago, JBlavl said:

Mid Range how did things hold up over the last week? Looks like a little warm weather coming again over the next week but nothing crazy.

it has been mild all week with temps overing just above freezing mark during the day and just below at night. Good chance it has been rather cloudy and no rain. Minimal melt. So trails won't be affected but soft. Fore sure not the major thaw they were forcasting. Next week looks rather mild(around freezing mark) but cloudy.Trending cooler by the end of the week. 

What I am worry about is the possibility of trail closure(as of february 1st) if the farmers and the government don't settle with an agreement.

12 hours ago, Ontariokid95 said:

How are thé trails looking in this area for this coming weekend?

we will find out this weekend.3-4 inches of fresh snow this week and temps looks colder for the weekend. In the meantime you can follow the snowmobile club on facebook. They are posting on a regular basis  https://www.facebook.com/webmestre.blancs?fref=hovercard