Season Opener 2017

Florida Snowman

13 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

Hi Wes,

Yes Lac Faillon was open & they are selling gas.  $1.20 per litre. 

Thanks Tom, we are at Parent tonight heading to Amos for tomm..,hope they have the water hole fixed by tomorrow,   😾'S don't like water !

Day 4: Monday Jan 16th

Woke up to 14*F and enjoyed the buffet breakfast at Forestel.  Saddled up the ponies & pulled out at 8:30am.  Headed 83E to Louvicort & filled up.  Continued up to Senneterre to AB SkiDoo dealer to get a belt for Jim's sled.  I wanted to get my track tension adjusted since I put a new IceRipper track on prior to this ride.  This allowed us to burn 93W to Amos yet again.  The new location & building for Yamaha - Harricana Aventures in Amos is awesome.  What a build out.   While maintaining the speed limit on our return back east on 93 to Senneterre Jim blew yet another belt!  Those SkiDoo belts are expensive!!  Stopped at AB just before they closed and picked up another.  Decided to stay at Motel Senabi for the night.

203 miles

Day 5:  Tuesday Jan 17th

There are "good" days of Snowmobiling & there are "great" days of Snowmobiling.  Today was an "EPIC" day of Snowmobiling!  Definitely a Hall of Fame day from beginning to end!  

Woke up at Motel Senabi in Senneterre to 12*F.   I always try to get one or two days in each of my trips where I head out on the days ride 1-2 hours before sunrise.   There is nothing like watching a new day develop from darkness to daytime while riding my snowmobile.  We pulled out at 6:45am under a clear, star lit sky.  Once we crossed the river next to the hotel we made first tracks on a perfectly groomed ribbon.  I knew at that moment today was going to be special.  Took 93N towards LSQ and witnessed a spectacular dawn of a new day.  Truly breathtaking & calming.  First tracks all the way to LSQ!  Took gas & continued on 93N getting gas again in Desmaraisville, Chapais, Relais Lac Cache, Scierie 54 & La Dore.  Trails were ridiculously good & fast.  Tons of snow up here.  There wasn't a cloud in the sky all day.  No wind!  We did not pass a single sled the entire day in either direction!  Perfect trails were there for only us to enjoy.  You can't make this stuff up.  Timing, luck, karma, call it what you will.  We were blessed for sure!    Arrived at 6:45pm at Hotel du Jardin in Saint-Felicien.

421 miles

Day 6:  Wednesday Jan 18th

The plan for today was to sleep in & wake up without the alarm clock.  Got up to 22*F & overcast skies.  Had breakfast & suited up.  Pulled out on the sleds at 10:30am.   Took 373N over the top of LSJ & got on 93.  Continued south to Sainte-Monique & got onto 367.  Went by the old ScoobyRaid (Relais Mont Vilain) to see how it looks these days.  They have put in some much needed capital $$$ improvements there.  Continued on 367 & crossed the Saguenay at Shipshaw.  Decided to go to the Delta for the night so we could check up on Bill & see how he's doing after this past mondays mishap.  We spent an hour with Juliedele & Bill on the sofa in the lobby of the Delta.  He's one tough dude!  No hospital for Bill.  He's sore & a little bruised but will recover quickly.  Lucky he had his Tek Vest on!  I won't ride a sled without mine on.  Had a good dinner & crashed out in the incredibly comfortable beds.  Nice easy day.

233 miles

IMG_2448.JPGIMG_2449.JPGIMG_2454.PNG

Day 7:  Thursday Jan 19th

Woke up this morning to 2" of fresh powder snow & 26*F.  Had breakfast with Bill & said our goodbyes.  Pulled out at 8:00am & headed back over the Saguenay at Shipshaw to the north side.  Took 367 to 328 thru all the potato fields to Begin & Labrecque.  Then took 555 to 93 & crossed back over the Saguenay in Alma.  Got on 23 & continued down thru the park stopping for fuel at Mont Apica & L'Etape.  Continued south on 23 to Saint Raymond & checked in to the Roquemont.  Don't you just love the water pressure in the showers here. NOT!  I think the pressure was much better years ago when the place was Hotel Coline.  Trails were excellent all day with the exception of the short feeder trail to gas in L'Etape.   I always enjoy 23 going downhill (southbound).  The scenery & views are stunning.

253 miles

IMG_2455.JPGIMG_2457.JPGIMG_2459.JPGIMG_2461.JPG

Day 8:  Friday Jan 20th

Pulled out of the Roquemont in Saint Raymond at 6:00am with a temp of 26*F.   The plan was to get in a full days sled ride but still be at the truck by early afternoon & hit the black trail towards home.  This weekend is the "free weekend" and I for one plan to sit it out.  Busy trails are not my thing.

Took 73N and ran the railroad bed towards La Tuque up to Riviere-a-Pierre then continued 73 up thru Zec Batiscan & Reserve de Portneuf.  Trails were perfect.  Fast, smooth with some fresh on top.  I haven't been up this section of 73 in many years & forgot how beautiful it is.  After about 50 miles we backtracked down to Saint-Raymond & got gas.  Continued 73S, 3W, 302N, 23W, M4, LT to truck.  Loaded up & started for home at 2:45pm.

Was a great trip with fantastic trail conditions thruout our travels!  No reason for anyone to hesitate heading up for a ride.  

234 miles for the day

2165 miles for the trip

Edited by Florida Snowman