Shawinigan again....

Ride On you two. Glad we got to catch up last night. Sorry a ride was not meant to be this round. Surely on the Next. Happy Trails, great to see you guys at Drakkar. 

14 hours ago, iceman said:

Ride On you two. Glad we got to catch up last night. Sorry a ride was not meant to be this round. Surely on the Next. Happy Trails, great to see you guys at Drakkar. 

Good to see you last night Don.  We got out for a quick 215 mile ride today. We did the loop we talked about. Up the river to Mattawin for a soup.  Then 360 west to 245 to M20 back to 360 back to Shawinigan.  Trails were incredible.  Very little traffic.  River was better than I expected too. 

image.jpeg

On 1/16/2017 at 11:56 AM, Gottaway said:

Is the river safe in March to travel on, and is it a fast ride?

My other question for lunch and fuel, La tuque would be the best stop?

I cannot predict the future, however usually yes the River is safe in March. It can be fast or can be very up and down depending on snow fall. Hard to predict. Gets whooped up. It's not groomed. 

For Lunch and Fuel depends....you tell me what is your route to Roberval? 

Up 73 to 83 to Roberval? (Lunch Marineau) right as you arrive in La Tuque is just across the street. Gas further into town trail goes right by in the back. 

Or 

355 through Lac Edouard to Roberval? Skip La Tuque use 355 to LT1 then 73 to 355 north. Gas and Lunch at Domaine Lac Edouard. 

Edited by iceman

Thanks for the Reply iceman,

Not sure which route, was planning on direct route to Lac Edouard, which is about 117 miles, as long as the fcmq map route planner is accurate.I think I will ask all my questions in another thread, as I have many being first time backpacking.

A lot More snow in latuque than Shawinigan. Great 250 miles today.  The pipeline was incredible and the upper part of 73 was groomed in front of us.  Getting closer to 353 it got rough but only a couple miles. 353 was good 302 was great. 3 was trashed by the time we got back towards Shawinigan.  

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Was up to Drakkar again Friday.  Did a little ride Friday and then had a nice dinner with Reggie and Nancy.  Great people.  Sorry Wes the scraps went to the dog!  Lol.  Saturday we wished Wes and Chris a safe trip for the week and Belinda and I hesded out a little later than planned for the day at 9:30. We headed east which was all freshly groomed and hit 73 north.  It was perfect. While it was snowing when we left Drakkar the skies cleared up as we went north and turned to all blue sky!  73 was great all the way to the warming hut. From there we were going to go north but I saw that they groomed the old trail (73) going east. I was curious as 2 weeks ago it wasn't so we went a couple miles down it and it was fantastic.  But we had plans to go north so we turned around and went up like planned but it appears it might be done all the way out.  But I did not run it completely so take it only as that. Lol.  So north we go towards lac Edouard. Trail is great. Stop into The Trapper.  Great soup. We decide we should head east now and show Belinda La Tuque. We down to 73 and run that west to La Tuque.  It too was incredible shape.  On the top of the hill just past the restaurant a snowmobile was literally up in a tree!  Must have been flying up the hill and never saw the trail turn left and launched it into the trees.  The skis and a arms were all caught up in a good size tree. We saw equipment all stacked on the side of the trail and first thought it was a body but only gear. The said rider was fine and they were all good.  We continue into town to get gas. As we come back a guy stops us as they had the trail blocked with a sled trying to pull the wreck out. They cut the tree down to get it off the tree!!  Lol. Crazy. Glad there was no serious injury.  We continue down towards shawinigan and run the pipeline.  The trails all the way down were great.  Decide to jump on the river and run it down to shawinigan.  Parts were ok and parts were very bumpy!  Get close to shawinigan and we stop to get dinner.  Then ride the last 15 miles back to Drakkar.  270 miles and back by 7:30.  Belinda loved the scenery of the upper part of 73 and the pipeline.  Great day.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Triggerhappy

On 2017-02-14 at 10:55 AM, Triggerhappy said:

Was up to Drakkar again Friday.  Did a little ride Friday and then had a nice dinner with Reggie and Nancy.  Great people.  Sorry Wes the scraps went to the dog!  Lol.  Saturday we wished Wes and Chris a safe trip for the week and Belinda and I hesded out a little later than planned for the day at 9:30. We headed east which was all freshly groomed and hit 73 north.  It was perfect. While it was snowing when we left Drakkar the skies cleared up as we went north and turned to all blue sky!  73 was great all the way to the warming hut. From there we were going to go north but I saw that they groomed the old trail (73) going east. I was curious as 2 weeks ago it wasn't so we went a couple miles down it and it was fantastic.  But we had plans to go north so we turned around and went up like planned but it appears it might be done all the way out.  But I did not run it completely so take it only as that. Lol.  So north we go towards lac Edouard. Trail is great. Stop into The Trapper.  Great soup. We decide we should head east now and show Belinda La Tuque. We down to 73 and run that west to La Tuque.  It too was incredible shape.  On the top of the hill just past the restaurant a snowmobile was literally up in a tree!  Must have been flying up the hill and never saw the trail turn left and launched it into the trees.  The skis and a arms were all caught up in a good size tree. We saw equipment all stacked on the side of the trail and first thought it was a body but only gear. The said rider was fine and they were all good.  We continue into town to get gas. As we come back a guy stops us as they had the trail blocked with a sled trying to pull the wreck out. They cut the tree down to get it off the tree!!  Lol. Crazy. Glad there was no serious injury.  We continue down towards shawinigan and run the pipeline.  The trails all the way down were great.  Decide to jump on the river and run it down to shawinigan.  Parts were ok and parts were very bumpy!  Get close to shawinigan and we stop to get dinner.  Then ride the last 15 miles back to Drakkar.  270 miles and back by 7:30.  Belinda loved the scenery of the upper part of 73 and the pipeline.  Great day.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Did you get a pic of the sled in the tree?