Mauricie loop photo ride report 15january2017

towing

Our sledding partner Snowcruiser invited us to join him last Sunday for a nice little ride in Iceman's land.
It was another little ride without real day target and we decided our path one junction at a time. Here is the final path it gave:

carte_zpsn4rbfy42.jpg

So Sunday morning, about -14C at the start but an humid pinching cold along the St-Laurence river in the Champlain sector. The trail was beautiful as here along #40 highway .

DSC00296_zpsm7s11rmg.jpg

We then cross under the highway and heading north towards St-Narcisse

DSC00302_zpshj1ss8pt.jpg

Here right at the beginning  of the long straight stretch on #3 trail

DSC00314_zpsn8256zxt.jpg

At the end of this long straight stretch we stop few minutes to warm up a little bit and then continue

DSC00319_zpsg703r04d.jpg

Here near Lac a la Tortue area in river direction

DSC00325_zpsvpxfmhii.jpg

And we goes on the St-Maurice River

DSC00329_zpswuypfgbb.jpg

It was still pretty cold especially for my passenger, so we leave the trail of the river to take the #23 trail in north direction

DSC00340_zpsyc3zs4df.jpg

DSC00344_zpsljt8hflr.jpg

We pass St-Tite village

DSC00352_zpsxqnyzpuq.jpg

JP2 on CMIQ had wrote me to tell that he recognized me (too late to stop)  after we crossed him near the bridge of the Envy River in St-Tite. By looking at our pics after I realize he did not escape to Krikri lens!!!

DSC00353_zpskpwyps2k.jpg

Here the other spot where we cross the river of Envies but direct on it. The dozer no longer crosses it after an improvised swim a couple of years ago just a little farther left.

DSC00362_zpsc7ix1fvk.jpg

Due to a right of way lost last year, the #360 junction is now a few miles farther north than before on the #23.

DSC00365_zpsxlmyuu6n.jpg

We continue on the #23 ...

DSC00371_zpswjjugcrb.jpg

And had our lunch in Ste-Thecle at the restaurant le petit Palace

DSC00374_zps17i0rq12.jpg

After a good meal and a good  talk with our partner Snowcruiser we had not seen for a long time, we had continue on the #23 north

DSC00395_zpshfxma0zm.jpg

DSC00392_zpsmv6tribw.jpg

It ride well but last grooming was before the last snow.

DSC00400_zpsqo1yldeb.jpg

There were a few snow blades to be careful in this windward section.

DSC00408_zpsslpc0xdy.jpg

We joined the #355 trail which we took southbound

DSC00411_zps7dzsrhoj.jpg

Same there, not groomed recently but nice enough to comfortably shift the legal speed limit two up on our limousine on this section of the Gas Pipeline trail

DSC00416_zpsq6kkruc6.jpg

DSC00423_zpsbhr3slh0.jpg

There are beautiful more mountainous sections

DSC00430_zpsij8schyu.jpg

DSC00435_zps3iqeppoy.jpg

We then switched on #360 trail and took a short break to refuel at St-Joseph de Mékinac

DSC00444_zps4oncet6t.jpg

There is a lot of snow this year in this area

DSC00455_zpsesz48hpa.jpg

And we then took a real break at the belvedere which is just a few miles before (north) of #360/#23 intersection . Here proudly posing next to my venture the new ride of Snowcruiser

DSC00485_zpsqk35skd9.jpg

Unfortunately, the picture does not do justice to the beauty of the landscape. The view is worth the detour especially in clear weather like this Sunday

DSC00464_zpsy0f8oj0w.jpg

The sunset accompanies us as we go back south on the #23 we had pass on in the morning on a short distance before switching on the #351 towards St-Séverin

DSC00486_zpsrxgb4fkx.jpg

The cold had coming back in force at this end of the day so we decide to stop to warm up at the famous  Relais de la Station at St-Severin. We will finally stay there for supper. Although there were a lot of people the service was quick and the food was very good.

DSC00495_zps6wuylrdj.jpg

After having this good meal, we started our last segment to our starting point via St-Stanislas and Ste-Geneviève. The long stretch on the Batiscan River was very icy and it had smell the burned candle a bit towards the end!

We were finally back to our starting point in the Champlain sector around 7:30pm with 170miles on the dreammeter.

In short, apart from the segment on the Batiscan River, which was rather icy, the trails and other rivers were all in very good condition and all the trails pass through the last week thaw nicely. Still lots of snow and beautiful solid trails that stay nice even when solicited.

No doubt that the snowmobile season is in full swing in this area too, it's up to you to enjoy it!

bye!

Alain

42 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Nice report Alain, must be nice to ride out your backdoor!

I don't think he did this weekend Jim, he started in Champlain and he lives in St.Thomas, trailered there is my guess.

Trails close to the St.Lawrence near Montreal are not very rideable since the rain and thaw. We need more snow down here.

Thanks you guys!

Yes Trailblazer you are right, I trailered to start at Snowcruiser backdoor, a bit more than an hour from home. Most of the time it is him that trailer on my side but this time it was our turn!

Krikri wear thin glove inside her mitts that are large enough to accommodate her hand+the camera inside. She already have the camera with the finger on the trigger inside her mitts it's why she's so fast: she get the hand out the mitt,click and back in the mitt. Sometimes when it's really cold she take pics directly with the big mitts but it's not so easy...

As for weather we had today a bit of snow, maybe an inch. Forecast is not cold but seems good for the next days

On 1/19/2017 at 6:47 AM, Teet F8SP said:

towing, you and krikri are an awesome team.  Always enjoy your reports (especially the pics)!

Big time!  Always McLuvin your reports!  Thanks!

Just rode thru there too, and got a few pics to post, but my danged attention span of a mosquito has me all over the forum!

Sled's looking mighty fine!

Edited by PLAYHARD