Help with our first backpack trip

Gottaway

Hello fellow sledders,

I am planning our first backpack trip March 8-12. It's 9 guys from our NY snowmobile club, the Snowrats.

We have done trips out of St. Donat and St. Michel Des Saints, but never backpack trips. So if anybody has any suggestions about routes, gas and lunch spots please feel free to chime in.

We are leaving trucks and trailers in Shawinigan first day go up river and connect up to 355 to lac eduard for lunch and fuel then on to roberval for the night.

Next day will be leaving roberval taking rt 83 to Saguenay for fuel and lunch, if anybody knows any good lunch spots? Then onto  Fairmont Le Manoir Richelieu for the night.

Third day we will take  3 through Quebec, figured there would be plenty of lunch and fuel stops in Quebec, again any good suggestions in Quebec? then onward back to Shawinigan.

Some other questions I had is about breakdowns, is there a service you could call to grab you and your snowmobile?

Also do any of the hotels or gas stations carry 2 stroke oil?

Thanks again for your time

Welcome to the site Gottaway.

Regarding the service, I know Trailblazer is able to tow sleds long distances. Regarding oil, some places have non skidoo oil, while others carry it.  If it's a concern, fill a 1 gallon gas can with oil and carry it along with a spare gasoline.

Split up this task between a friend and I (3 gallons of oil on one sled and gas on the other)

Get rid of 5 guys. Just kidding, kind of. The last time we had 10 guys on a trip, we had a hard time doing 100 miles a day. Not to say it cant be done, but somebody with a gun better be in charge. One or two slow goers in the AM and gas stops and meals can really slow thing down to a crawl. Plus 10 sleds,if not all in good shape? Now if you really know all of your group really well and think they can do it, go for it. Your day trips dont look too long, and there are many hotels and services on your route. Take some time on this site, many posts about the places you want to go,If you drop down a few posts there is a great write up on things to take saddlebagging. Good luck and have fun.

Edited by 800steve

When passing through Quebec on TQ3 you have plenty of restaurant choices when you cross Boulevard Henri-Bourassa. There's a gas station where you can fuel up at the same time. If you park at the gas station and walk for a few minutes south on Boulevard Henri-Bourassa you can enjoy a poutine at Ashton. There are additional gas stations when you leave Quebec if needed.

Edit: Just checked on Google Maps and it's a 350 meter walk from the gas station to Ashton if you want a genuine Quebec putine.

QuebecRestaurant.PNG

Edited by Magnus

2 hours ago, hparaptor said:

Regarding the service, I know Trailblazer is able to tow sleds long distances. Regarding oil, some places have non skidoo oil, while others carry it.  If it's a concern, fill a 1 gallon gas can with oil and carry it along with a spare gasoline.

Split up this task between a friend and I (3 gallons of oil on one sled and gas on the other)

Funny stuff mike, memories!

No more racing Yamahas down the lake for you.

2 hours ago, 800steve said:

Get rid of 5 guys. Just kidding, kind of. The last time we had 10 guys on a trip, we had a hard time doing 100 miles a day. Not to say it cant be done, but somebody with a gun better be in charge. One or two slow goers in the AM and gas stops and meals can really slow thing down to a crawl. Plus 10 sleds,if not all in good shape? Now if you really know all of your group really well and think they can do it, go for it. Your day trips dont look too long, and there are many hotels and services on your route. Take some time on this site, many posts about the places you want to go,If you drop down a few posts there is a great write up on things to take saddlebagging. Good luck and have fun.

I agree....just kidding, kind of.

Seriously, I did a trip to Val d'Or with a group of 8, we were all experienced sledders and knew the consequence's riding in a big group so it was decided off the bat before hitting the trail to divide up the group in 2. Agree on a lunch location then meet up there and regroup at the hotel. During the day we would keep to the same route and we hop scotch each once'n while and at times take breaks together. It was smooth sailing through out the trip. HPARaptor can chime in on this, he was on that ride.

I usually have a big group with me. One year I had 14 (we didn't backpack until we were down to 5), last year 4 came as a surprise making us nine and that was worse because I already preplanned a whole trip for five.  And I can tell you unquestionably it is a pain in the ass. Everything you do takes longer. Getting trail passes getting gas paying for your meals checking in and checking out of the hotel. And the poor sucker who rides in the back never gets to take a piss because as soon as he shows up everybody else is ready to go. Then you have nine possible missed corners nine possible blown belts and so on. I read all the time about guys doing 200 300 miles, hell 400 miles in a day. I got guys bitching when we crack 180.  It's all part of the fun.

Your plan looks good to me. your last two days will be short if you divide them up to Quebec city and to Shawinigan.  That's OK some of the guys might appreciate it. I would stay at the four points in Quebec City. There's a few others too such as the Quebec inn I've never been there. 

As long as you are resourceful you will be able to find anything you need almost anywhere when you are not in the bush. If you have some people who like specific oils or other things you should probably carry that. Otherwise a lot of places carry two-stroke oil, iso for gas, spark plugs and even belts but not hotels. Some places you will be  getting gas are servicing cars as well so you might be in a town where you might be able to hit a mechanic shop or at Canadian tire or another kind of box store. 

In a breakdown situation use your heads and get the sled to a town or nearest road and figure out from there. Depends on where you are and what's closest.  It's very common for locals to help even when there is a language barrier. It's also common to pay for a roll back or pickup ride.  RIP Bernard. 

You should pre-plan where you're going to get your trail passes by calling ahead. Make sure everyone has all of the information they need and the proof of ownership for their trail passes otherwise some group of you will have them and some won't. That's no fun but can be exciting. 

There's already another recent thread about packing for bag trips and you should look into the GPS and security precautions threads. 

Have a great trip. 

I agree with 9 in a group can slow things down.  If you have ridden together like that before, go for it.  Otherwise find two riders that want to lead and two that want to be sweep.  Like Trailblazer states "meet for lunch" and you can see if anybody has issues.

If a breakdown occurs, you are riding during the week when most dealers will be open.  Tow the casualty to the dealer.  If it isn't a major repair, it can probably be fixed while you wait.  You need to know where the dealers are for the brand of sled you are riding.  Most dealers advertise on the trail maps.  If you do have a major breakdown, you aren't too far away from your truck for most of your trip.  Most of the group can continue on and two people go back and get the truck then return to pick up the casualty.  Not fun but it is an option.  Its been done before.

Cell phones work in the populated areas but aren't as reliable when you get away from the towns or roads.

Know what range you can go between gas stops.  The lower part of 83 to Clermont doesn't have any services so tank up in the upper half.

Most of your ride will be near services.  Food and gas shouldn't be a problem.

Sandi and I have been helped by locals.  Most of them will do more for you than you would expect.

From Roberval, you can go north or south of Lac St Jean.  North is a little longer in distance but a little faster ride.  March can be a great ride as long as the snow is there.  Less traffic, longer daylight, milder temperatures and the trails are still being groomed.

Plan for emergencies and hope everything goes smooth.  You should have a great ride.

Jack & Sandi

Nine is certainly a lot, from my experiences unless they are newer sleds the chances of all nine completing the loop without a breakdown is slim. Not to be a Debbie Downer but chit happens! Especially older 2 strokes, I don't think they can handle the wide open pulls in QC. I've had at least a half dozen trips ruined by blown motors over the last 10 years including one of mine. Other then that have fun!

7 hours ago, hparaptor said:

GAS CAN not a gallon of oil !!!!! My buddy had a gallon of oil take a shit in his trunk bag ! What a MESS, and $ for the oil. The corners of the gallon cans are very thin and will blow out from all the bouncing around. Or just carry quarts in zip-lock bags

Here's a time saver but requires a little math :rolleyes: (some may already do this) - our group is 6, we all ride roughly the same sled, eat about the same, and drink about the same. I'm the "Banker". ONE bill for everyone, and I pay for everything.  When the bank is out of money, everyone throws in $100, and on we go. Pull into the gas pump 2 by 2 on each side of the pump. Fill one, and while you're moving it out of the way be filling the next, and so on. Again, one pump (you can use 2 or 3 to speed things up), one bill, one guy cashing out and we're out of there. Lunch, the bar, the rooms, etc. it all works for us. Want to see an outfitter's eyes light up with joy - tell them one check for EVERYTHING - all the rooms, the bar tab, the gas, etc. 6 individual guys checking out of an outfitter trying to figure out who had 2 beers and who had 3 could take you an hour. It usually takes us 10 minutes. Watch 6 or 9 guys fill up and pay individually at the gas pump - you might be there a while. At the end of the trip we divvy up any money left in the bank. One year we had 5 1200's and 1 E Tec. I figured out the total miles, gas mileage, and the E Tec got a gas credit back from the bank. Anyway, over the years we've learned that it all works out in the end for us, and saves a ton of time.  You have to have a good group though :rolleyes:.  If you can't do all 9 on one, at least make partners (roommates, or similar sleds, or something). Anytime you can cut down on the number of transactions, you'll be much better off. Good luck!

19 minutes ago, Banker said:

Here's a time saver but requires a little math :rolleyes: (some may already do this) - our group is 6, we all ride roughly the same sled, eat about the same, and drink about the same. I'm the "Banker". ONE bill for everyone, and I pay for everything.  When the bank is out of money, everyone throws in $100, and on we go. Pull into the gas pump 2 by 2 on each side of the pump. Fill one, and while you're moving it out of the way be filling the next, and so on. Again, one pump (you can use 2 or 3 to speed things up), one bill, one guy cashing out and we're out of there. Lunch, the bar, the rooms, etc. it all works for us. Want to see an outfitter's eyes light up with joy - tell them one check for EVERYTHING - all the rooms, the bar tab, the gas, etc. 6 individual guys checking out of an outfitter trying to figure out who had 2 beers and who had 3 could take you an hour. It usually takes us 10 minutes. Watch 6 or 9 guys fill up and pay individually at the gas pump - you might be there a while. At the end of the trip we divvy up any money left in the bank. One year we had 5 1200's and 1 E Tec. I figured out the total miles, gas mileage, and the E Tec got a gas credit back from the bank. Anyway, over the years we've learned that it all works out in the end for us, and saves a ton of time.  You have to have a good group though :rolleyes:.  If you can't do all 9 on one, at least make partners (roommates, or similar sleds, or something). Anytime you can cut down on the number of transactions, you'll be much better off. Good luck!

D'accord.

I've done a few larger group rides and it always seems that something always happens to one or two sleds . It sounds like your on a short round about trip and if one guy breaks down ( major) blows a corner and breaks something you can't get parts for things can get messed up. When you pick your hotel to base out of see if can leave keys and see if they have someone you can hire to drive up a truck and pick up the downed sled . That way everybody can carry on . We have had to do this three times. Iceman might commment on a hotel in that area that might have that service. 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Good approach and prolly the only way to fly with that many peeps. More than 3-4 and I'll usually take a pass on the trip.....from experience. Too far of a drive to screw the pooch with unecessary shenanigans.

20 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

I agree....just kidding, kind of.

Seriously, I did a trip to Val d'Or with a group of 8, we were all experienced sledders and knew the consequence's riding in a big group so it was decided off the bat before hitting the trail to divide up the group in 2. Agree on a lunch location then meet up there and regroup at the hotel. During the day we would keep to the same route and we hop scotch each once'n while and at times take breaks together. It was smooth sailing through out the trip. HPARaptor can chime in on this, he was on that ride.

I could NOT AGREE MORE with the above!  Breaking into two groups works wonders.  Typically the guys that like to stay up late start a little after the early birds.  I am the early to bed early to rise type.  Meeting for lunch and the occasional leap frog works well.  Additionally, let your buddies know that riding saddlebag trips that being a throttle jockey can be harmful to all in the event that fuel becomes an issue, not to mention the damage to the trails.  Being smooth on the throttle can make a huge difference if mileage is a concern.

I suggest everyone starts with fresh belts, everyone carry's a spare belt for their sled, fresh hyfax on all sleds, if you don't have them install ice scratchers.  If possible service your sleds prior to departure.  I always like to change the chaincase fluid, check the chaincase tension, ensure hyfax are either new or in excellent condition, check coolant level, grease zirks, check for broken or worn out bogie wheels, ensure track tension and alignment are correct etc., if riding two strokes have spare plugs even if you think you don't need them.  If someone has a SAT PHONE bring it.  Renting one isn't a bad idea either.  Each of you should have each others family contact information and if anyone has health issues that at least two other folks have all of their pertinent medical information.  I had a 2-1/2" ascending aortic dissection in 2004 (its the most lethal natural occurring condition a human can have) so everyone I ride with has ALL OF MY INFORMATION including medical history, medications, doctors information, hospital where it was performed etc.  This medical stuff call all be stored in a smart phone and doesn't take up space.  Also have a couple good tow ropes and a well stocked medical kit.  Saddlebagging is one of the most fun adventures you can ever have!  It is EXACTLY LIKE NOTHING ELSE!  You just need to be prepared.

PUT THE FOLLOWING NUMBERS IN YOUR PHONE!

AIR MEDIC  they will come get you via medical chopper in the event of a catastrophic occurrence.  I have NO IDEA what the cost is, but if you absolutely need them does it really matter?  Hopefully NO ONE ever does need them but if you do:

877-999-3322

SAT PHONE: 418-673-3322

Have a GREAT TRIP!!!!

I agree with most above that 9 is too much for one group. Just slows everything down too much. Plus the chances of a breakdown increase. To go that far for a ride then end up screwing around would ruin what should be a really good time. I like the idea of one person paying for everything if you can do that. We usually do that when it comes to hotels, and beer at the end of the night. We just put a kitty together and it works really well with just 1 person in charge of the money. The one thing I would highly suggest but I didn't see mentioned was have a GPS with all the trails already on it. I can not tell you how much time this saved us when we switched from paper maps to GPS. You waste an incredible amount of time when you get to intersections and are trying to figure out where you are on the map and where you have to go. Especially once it's dark. And then if you take a wrong turn and have to double back or re route you waste that much more time. Not that getting lost isn't fun sometimes but if you have someplace you have to get to or gas is in question you could pay a price. A GPS will show you right where you are when you are there then all you have to do is pick the right trail. 

Thanks for all the good advice. As for the group of nine, we all ride together many times before, all newer sleds, Polaris, Skidoo and Artic cat. We do pool our money together and assign a banker to pay for everything, works great. I do have a Garmin 550 with the Canadian maps loaded, works great in Canada and NY! I will have all the waypoints loaded and tested. I plan I taking the epirb also for a real emergency's. I would like to keep gas stops within 100 miles but may have to extend to 125, don't think this is an issue. I see the biggest problem is to get going early!

I took a new rider to Quebec last week and I think what bothered him was the long rides being in the bush with no houses and seeing no other people. He kept telling his wife at night how you only see trees and the trail. Also the signage or the lack of. He couldn't understand that if there is a lot of sled tracks that you are in the right place.  What i'm saying is let your crew know that you are going to be in Gods country a lot of the time and riding 25 or more miles with out  stopping is not un normal. If they are all snowmobile riders you will most likely be making plans for the next trip before you get back to the truck to go home. Have fun and don't let anything bother you and all will be great,

2 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

I took a new rider to Quebec last week and I think what bothered him was the long rides being in the bush with no houses and seeing no other people. He kept telling his wife at night how you only see trees and the trail. Also the signage or the lack of. He couldn't understand that if there is a lot of sled tracks that you are in the right place.  What i'm saying is let your crew know that you are going to be in Gods country a lot of the time and riding 25 or more miles with out  stopping is not un normal. If they are all snowmobile riders you will most likely be making plans for the next trip before you get back to the truck to go home. Have fun and don't let anything bother you and all will be great,

No question about being in god's country. On our trip of the Woodrunner trail last year on 2 separate occasions we rode 100+ miles and didn't cross a road, see a house, pass another sled, nothing but wild wilderness. It was fantastic. We'd stop every 50 miles or so just to take in the scenery.

9 hours ago, zeusand said:

Depending on conditions,  I like to stop every 30+ miles. Otherwise it becomes a long day.

Agree, we will stop 30-50 miles on long rides, sometimes every 15 on the more scenic area rides...

zeusand, I see your from New Canaan..  I just designed the new turf field at Dunning Stadium.  Go Rams!!  Beautiful Town you live in....  Ride safe