Twin Peak Power Tour - Val-d'or, Matagami, Chibougamou, lac-saint Jean, Saint-Michel-des-saints, Mont-Laurier

Carman80

16 minutes ago, snowpromod said:

I like Relais 22 for gas/lunch, not my favorite place to stay tho...maybe try Windigo

There's new owners this year at Relais 22...but rooms are the same! Windigo is nice and rustic, but you may want to book in advance! There's also a way to cut through the reservoir on the way to La Tuque and save about 90 km. Those photos are from a few years back, but it hasn't change that much!

DSC_1859.jpgDSC_1870.jpg

5 hours ago, Fred_LT said:

There's new owners this year at Relais 22...but rooms are the same! Windigo is nice and rustic, but you may want to book in advance! There's also a way to cut through the reservoir on the way to La Tuque and save about 90 km. Those photos are from a few years back, but it hasn't change that much!

DSC_1859.jpgDSC_1870.jpg

Looks rustic and very nice. Thanks for the advice and info. 

7 hours ago, Carman said:

Looks rustic and very nice. Thanks for the advice and info. 

X'2 on Windigo. Stayed there one night last week. Very nice hosts. We were the only ones there Thur. night but she told us they are full on wkends.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, Fred_LT said:

DSC_1859.jpgDSC_1870.jpg

Is there any other places we should consider in that area besides Relais 22 and WIndigo? Which one has the best food and accommodations?

On 2017-01-25 at 4:53 PM, Fred_LT said:

DSC_1859.jpgDSC_1870.jpg

Do you have contact info for Windigo? 

On 2017-01-26 at 6:23 AM, doonali said:

X'2 on Windigo. Stayed there one night last week. Very nice hosts. We were the only ones there Thur. night but she told us they are full on wkends.

Do you have their contact info?

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, JBlavl said:

There is gas on 386 a few miles south of 63 and there is also gas in an Indian reservation up 386 before you get to 83. Be careful on 386 between the Indian Res and 83 as there are some bonefide sno cross jumps in the trail. They go for miles. They were not very well marked when we came through last year and figured they were tabletops so hit the first one at a decent speed. They have a sharp drop off on the other side. It was an O SH*T moment to say the least. It's like a trail I've never rode before. A trail like that down here in NY and they might as well just have the Helo parked off to the side waiting to transport. Go slow over them to get the feel for the first few and you'll be good. 

There are signs....groomer on a hill in the trees before those drop offs. 2 of the drop offs are serious. If you don't know the are pay REAL close attention to your surroundings.

I took my 1200X fully loaded with fuel, luggage etc. over them last yr. I came up on the first one and yeh I assumed like others that it is just another smooth big roller to get some mild air so I let er have it.... Well after landing it idk how many yards down the trail I shook it off and was like holy cow!!!!! that could have been bad. I haven't aired a sled out like that since my Rock Maple Racing days....many moons ago...  BE AWARE THERE BAD!

And once you're through that and riding on the flat land stretches into Louvicourt let off the throttle a little for the short hills/bumps cuz at triple digits you'll get some serious legnthes of air. Hills not high but short so you won't get too high but you'll fly for a while, got time for a Blair Morgan superman pose.

Edited by Trailblazer

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, iceman said:

Mistissini is an elusive run. Depends on when you go. Often times that trail is on the map but non-existent until late in season. Could be different this year. But many years we have tried and it was just not open. I have been there once however and unless they changed the trail the last run up and onto the lake there is very fast on a summer road. 

For your other Questions 

1.   i have never stayed in Lebel (gas and go for us) there is a Motel this one http://www.moteldulac.ca/.  Dinner not sure. Probably a pizze place or something there. 

2. Playhard is spot on. Your day 2 is short. Depending on what you are wanting to ride, trail from Lebel to Chapais is on an abandoned railbed and lets just say 100 miles goes by fast. But not so fast when it's-30c. There's gas in Demarisville I believe at a store there. Lunch would be Chapais i guess but then you are in Chiboug early afternoon. Me i would get to Chiboug then check to find out if Mistassini trail is really there. If so depending on time run it up, get gas then back to chiboug. Or there is a small local loop around chiboug to kill 45 minutes or 1 hr maybe. 

3. Day 3 run from Chiboug to say Hotel Roberval. That positions you for a run down 83 to 73 to La tuque for the night. Again i do not know what kind of KM you are wanting per day.  http://chateau-roberval.qc.ca/

4. Day 4   83 to 73 is a long day to La Tuqe compared to the railbed trail from lebel to chapais. Gas lunch at Relais 22 can't miss it 83 brings you right to gas pumps. Then 73 La Tuque and stay at https://www.hotelsmarineau.com/establishments/hotel-marineau-at-la-tuque/introduction or for a lodge experience with lodge prices http://www.clubodanak.com/

next day you are gonna need to go to St Michel de saints i guess. I will let the others give some of their ideas as well. 

Iceman is there synthetic bombo oil easily available along this route or should I pack 4 to 8 litres for the trip?

4 hours ago, Carman said:

Iceman is there synthetic bombo oil easily available along this route or should I pack 4 to 8 litres for the trip?

I would guess yes, but you are asking the wrong guy. Sorry. I'm in recovery from 2 strokes, going on 10 years clean. 

Always a pain to have to search it. Bring it is best bet. 

50 minutes ago, iceman said:

I would guess yes, but you are asking the wrong guy. Sorry. I'm in recovery from 2 strokes, going on 10 years clean. 

Always a pain to have to search it. Bring it is best bet. 

The 4 stroke is a "good Recovery Program"...you hardly ever go  back to 2 stroke!