What happens when YOUR STOPPED AND HAVE NO PASS.

clk1x

What happens when you get stopped in Quebec and you do not have a trail pass. There have been times when I have crossed from Maine into Quebec during the week and have made it all the way to where we are staying for the night without a pass. Either the route we took only had a few club houses and they were not open. We were worried about what would happen if we came across a provincial police officer on a sled or their version of a game warden. What would happen?

Edited by clk1x

If you can talk your way out....great.  Otherwise you end up buying a yearly pass at the trailside rate.

This happened to our group when we couldn't find any weekly passes. Got stopped west of val-d'or and we convinced the club member to sell us permits at after dec 9 rates...

Edited by hparaptor

I didn't realize there was mid season rates. Not that it matters to us due to buying early passes. But I do take friends in March who would buy mid season passes instead of weekly so they can come back. 

3 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

I didn't realize there was mid season rates.

there is no mid season rates

315 $ for an annual trail permit purchased on or before December 9, 2016

• 385 $ for an annual trail permit purchased after December 9, 2016
  • 560 $ for an annual trail permit sold on trail*
  • 230 $ for an annual trail permit for antique snowmobiles (1997 and older)
  • 215 $ for a 7-day trail permit
  • 130 $ for a 3-day trail permit
  • 60 $ for a 1-day trail permit
  • 570 $ for an annual trail permit for a rental snowmobile

I've often thought there should be a reciprocal privilege type pass available. Paying a extra premium for a pass that allowed access to the trail system in a second Provence would interest me. A few of my buddies buy both a full Ont and a full Que pass, would be far easier to buy one pass at a discount over the individual price. I've also thought there should be a discount for one person with multiple machines, got to buy passes for each but I can only drive one at a time anyway!

3 minutes ago, Cnc said:

I've often thought there should be a reciprocal privilege type pass available. Paying a extra premium for a pass that allowed access to the trail system in a second Provence would interest me. A few of my buddies buy both a full Ont and a full Que pass, would be far easier to buy one pass at a discount over the individual price. I've also thought there should be a discount for one person with multiple machines, got to buy passes for each but I can only drive one at a time anyway!

Totally agree. You have some great ideas there. Unfortunately I am not sure we will ever see any of that. I wish. Too much money at stake to offer a discount. We are lucky they offer the early rate for the passes now. 

37 minutes ago, iceman said:

Totally agree. You have some great ideas there. Unfortunately I am not sure we will ever see any of that. I wish. Too much money at stake to offer a discount. We are lucky they offer the early rate for the passes now. 

Way I look at this on the multiple machine aspect is, Ski hills offer seasons pass to the individual person not their equipment. fcmq actually registers the person not the machine on the free weekend. You would not be putting more sleds on the trail for the same price. Same in a way for the multi prov pass idea, you pay more but you can't be riding in both places at once. Seems to me marketed right it could actually increase revenue from passes and grow the sport.

3 minutes ago, 182ray said:

Compared to a season pass at a top ski area the trail passes are the best bargain around 

You mean those places where the people put sticks on their feet to go down a hill?

13 minutes ago, 182ray said:

Yup...please don't tell anyone but Ginger & I are going to do that tomorrow...maybe even Sunday too...lol

Your secret is safe with me❄️🎿

1 hour ago, iceman said:

You mean those places where the people put sticks on their feet to go down a hill?

I can say "don't mock it unless you have tried it" Even though it's been a while for me it is one of the most enjoyable things i have done in my life. I grew up playing hockey so skiing came very easy for me too. It really is a good time as long as the conditions are right. I have spent some time out west in Aspen where conditions are great most of the time and it is AMAZING there.

I will say though it is NOTHING like riding a snowmobile but its really is fun!

No No you don't go sking just before a snowmobile trip in Quebec or try to play pond Hockey. No that won't happen.

As for the mid season trail pass I didn't think so either but it would be nice,

Can't ski uphill. That's my problem with the whole ski thing. I can sled up and down hill. With my sticks on my feet I need to wait on line to go back up. 

Pas Bonne. No bueno...

Back in the day when I was just a younging my dad had several sleds for all his boys, we had a family pass back then that worked on all the sleds, sticker for each one of them, just tell the club how many you needed.

cnc is right, you can drive just one of them one at a time should the pass sold is registered to an individual but if you include some additional family members then all the sleds can be ridden at the same time so it's my guess that the fcmq put some thought into selling family passes hence why they are selling passes that are registered to the sleds that they are stuck on.

The joint provincial pass is a great idea now all we need is someone to lobby it.

Who's on first?

The passes are expensive when I hear how much a pass costs for VT or NH but look at how many more miles of trail in Quebec compared to all of New England.  We put a few miles on each year and I don't mind the cost of the pass when I look at the work that is put into this trail system.  A huge thank you to all the groomers, clubs, volunteers and everyone behind the scene that we never see or hear about.

Jack & Sandi

Ive seen posts on other sites where guys complain about 45$ passes in Wisconson and Minnisota. What a great deal they get. I buy 2 Vermont passes every year and very seldom use them, but sure  would hate to lose the trails here, people dont seem to understand it takes money to keep things going, even in an all volunteer system. To me Quebec is a great deal for the money, with the early season rate and the exchange, no place better.