What happens when YOUR STOPPED AND HAVE NO PASS.

clk1x

What I was trying to convey is that we were prepared to buy passes  and wanted to at the first club we came to that was open . None were open on the route we took.

What I'm hearing is we would get stuck with having to buy a season pass on the spot, or more likely fined for that amount.

Our whole group got ticketed for no mirrors by a couple of provintial cops all 7 of us, they were real dicks cost us $110.00 each.

No warning, no explaining , no English, just pointing and tickets.

2 hours ago, clk1x said:

Our whole group got ticketed for no mirrors by a couple of provintial cops all 7 of us, they were real dicks cost us $110.00 each.

No warning, no explaining , no English, just pointing and tickets.

What's to explain? Ignorance of the law is no excuse. You ride in Quebec you need a mirror on left side. Simple. They speak French here they are not obliged to speak to you in English. 

Your group seems like it has a lot of issues. Can't find passes(most will check before they cross to see what is open and where to buy a pass), got no Mirrors, cops are Dicks, and No English. Man you all need to get it together or don't cross over. Sorry but that is life. 

Maybe trails are better south of the border?

The guy was just trying to get the facts ICE...  Down boy!!  

In the USA there are also things called warnings to those who do not intentionally break the law.  I would think this applies to the french speaking folks who cant understand the english cops when they are in our territory?  Seems like a low blow, I can see if they were speeding, drunk or breaking other laws but a mirror on a sled is all but useless most of the time because they do not defrost like on cars.

That being said if I ride with a mirror on my left wrist does that count?  What if my left mirror is covered in snow and ice are they still going to be a-holes?

When they give you a trail pass on the trail, how are people suppose to learn the quebec laws for snowmobiling, should be a list of minimum or obvious requirements for machine and rider?  Call me ignorant too if it makes you feel better...

14 minutes ago, Teet F8SP said:

The guy was just trying to get the facts ICE...  Down boy!!  

In the USA there are also things called warnings to those who do not intentionally break the law.  I would think this applies to the french speaking folks who cant understand the english cops when they are in our territory?  Seems like a low blow, I can see if they were speeding, drunk or breaking other laws but a mirror on a sled is all but useless most of the time because they do not defrost like on cars.

That being said if I ride with a mirror on my left wrist does that count?  What if my left mirror is covered in snow and ice are they still going to be a-holes?

When they give you a trail pass on the trail, how are people suppose to learn the quebec laws for snowmobiling, should be a list of minimum or obvious requirements for machine and rider?  Call me ignorant too if it makes you feel better...

I called no one Ignorant. I said "Ignorance of the Law". Means just cause you don't know the law does not mean you are not required to follow it. 

Calling the cops dicks for doing their job, sorry i don't take that well. 

No wrist mirror does not count. Must be attached to sled. How well it works is not the discussion. Just that you must have one fixed to left side of machine. 

I've never had any mirror frost? That is a non issue. 

What the cops do in the USA is their business, 

My point is if you are wanting to come ride here, then it is pretty easy to find out what is required before you come. You know maybe on the inter-web thingy.

If you(he) can find your way here to this site, to bitch about it(cops, mirrors)then you can certainly check before to find out where to get a pass and simply ask what do I need to know about riding in QC. 

Bye Felicia. I'm finished here. 

All and all 110 Canadian is like 75 American is a whole lot better than having to buy year's pass for a couple days of riding. I have to agree the language thing is something you have to accept and have faith you will be treated properly.  I did have an experience once where I took my mirrors off due to a short windshield and they were deflecting the air on to my hands . Of course it was 20 below  and the officer could speck very good English.  He agreed and told me to put back on when it got warmer. That was my experience. Still the best trails in the world in my opinion. 

I definitely didn't know about the mirrors. I have heard about no studs allowed but never the mirrors.  I am guilty of not being up to speed on the laws and need to do a bit more looking in to this.  We are friendly snowmobilers like everyone here not trying to be disobedient or disrespectful.  

The language barrier is definitely hard, if you had the ability to reason with them the mirror ticket maybe could have been avoided.

Here is the act respecting off road vehicles in QC. Pretty lengthy and it does cover Atvs as well. Maybe there is a link to a condensed version on the FCMQ site. Also with regard to day passes, maybe your best bet is to look up the particular club that is responsible for the trail you plan on passing on  once crossing the border or contact the fcmq directly and ask how you could get day or multiple day passes ahead of time.

http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/ShowDoc/cs/V-1.2

Ice - I know a certain barmaid at the Valinouet ski resort in Mt Valin who was asked by a Ski Dooer how much was a lift ticket for his motoneige as he wanted to purchase a ticket. It happened to be snowing very hard around 8pm with no groomers on the mountain or anyone in sight and the area had just received 1 ft of fresh powder since the resort closed that afternoon. When asked, she smiled and said No Motoneige which sounded like No lift ticket required for Motoneige. So a certain patron and his friend left, jumped on their sleds, maneuvered through the orange ribbon fencing to the base and skied up the hill and slalomed down the hill on a few "trails" one February evening. No one needed any sticks that night but they definitely skied Mt Valin. Or so the story goes.....